WAG Jump to high bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

By season I normally only have 2, but I have had 3 before. I base it on what is best for the gymnast. If the bar is too wide they will arch instead of the jump tp hollow that I want. I put the bars very close when I am teaching the jump and spread it out slowly. It is too easy to peel and break an arm when it is new. I have never understood coaches that just make little ones jump big.

Our coach also has our kid work on the jump by having her squat on a floor bar and jump to the higher settting low bar. Can work on the power needed and the form with almost zero risk.

Yep... it’s still terrifying as a parent to watch my 44.5” daughter jump from the low bar to the high bar. I think the gym only has 2 settings but I’m not sure. Thankfully, from the angle of the parent room, it doesn’t look that far ;) She definitely looks like a flying squirrel. Even her coach watches her like a hawk and will not let her do it without being next to her just in case she needs a spot.

What her coach did to get them comfortable is put a spotting block under the low bar, but closer to the high bar - they start by jumping from that to make the jump easier... then over the course of practices, she moves the block further and further until they’re jumping from the low bar itself.

Our coach also has our kid work on the jump by having her squat on a floor bar and jump to the higher settting low bar. Can work on the power needed and the form with almost zero risk.
What her coach did to get them comfortable is put a spotting block under the low bar, but closer to the high bar - they start by jumping from that to make the jump easier... then over the course of practices, she moves the block further and further until they’re jumping from the low bar itself.
[/QUOTE]
Ours also has them do a number of jumps every practice where they just tap the high bar.

I do all of these drills too.

I have no idea. Somehow I must have missed the whole process of learning to jump to high bar!
I was just thinking the same thing! I have no recollection of dd learning this skill.

I do know that dd competed on the wide bar setting through L7, but whether she learned the skill on a narrower bar set, I am not sure. She is a natural swinger and always loved bars so I don't think she would have had a problem jumping on a wide set despite being only roughly 48 inches (guessing based on when I think she would have started working it). She did switch to narrower (she says 2 below 5, which means nothing to me) the summer before L8 because she was doing drills for the bail at that point and once she started those, she remained on that narrower setting.

By season I normally only have 2, but I have had 3 before. I base it on what is best for the gymnast. If the bar is too wide they will arch instead of the jump tp hollow that I want. I put the bars very close when I am teaching the jump and spread it out slowly. It is too easy to peel and break an arm when it is new. I have never understood coaches that just make little ones jump big.
It makes me so happy that you teach them to hollow when they jump. I watch so many videos of girls who arch and drag their legs. It seems like a lot fo gyms do'nt correct it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back