WAG Jumping to the high bar!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tpMom

Proud Parent
Hi everyone, I guess I'm mostly venting:). As some of you know my DD has recently been diagnosed with Lupus. She's missed some practice due to pain and exhaustion and some lung issues. In top of that she's training to score out of level 4 and compete level 5. On top of THAT she recently got her grips for bars. Now the poor kid, who has worked so hard and has put up with so much has completely lost her jump to the high bar, a skill she's literally had since rec classes a year ago. Apparently she's been jumping too far and knocking her wrists and sometimes her face on the bar.

Bars was her favorite event last year, she took first at every tournament including State on bars and had the 2nd best overall bar score in the State for her level, so it's super frustrating for her to suddenly struggle with a skill that was NEVER difficult for her. I know it will come with time, and that losing skills is normal, especially when kids miss time in the gym or first get theirs grips, but I sure wish I could make this easier for her. I've read a lot about kids being afraid to jump to the high bar, but not much on kids over doing the jump and smashing into it. She's coming home completely beat up from her grips and those darn bars!

Did she have a growth spurt? That can throw off the jump to high bar.
At almost 9, YG could jump to high bar and do an immediate long hang pullover.
When she went to Xcel Gold, 1.5 years later (where that skill would actually be useful), she was unable to do it. She had grown and her old bar setting no longer worked for her.

Did she have a growth spurt? That can throw off the jump to high bar.
At almost 9, YG could jump to high bar and do an immediate long hang pullover.
When she went to Xcel Gold, 1.5 years later (where that skill would actually be useful), she was unable to do it. She had grown and her old bar setting no longer worked for her.
Honestly I think the problem is that when she was jumping to the high bar before the bars were set further apart, because she was the only one in level 3 doing it, so the coach never adjusted the high bar after the upper levels practiced. Now the whole team is working the skill so the bars are set closer together.

Honestly I think the problem is that when she was jumping to the high bar before the bars were set further apart, because she was the only one in level 3 doing it, so the coach never adjusted the high bar after the upper levels practiced. Now the whole team is working the skill so the bars are set closer together.
So basically the same thing - she needs a different bar setting.
Is it close enough that she can just lean forward and catch it? She may have to play around with it to see how much jump she needs at this setting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back