Junior Olympics name change?

Gymnastics_parent

Proud Parent
Fan
Jul 22, 2019
Country
USA
Does anyone have information on why they are looking to rename JO?

Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

amiandjim

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Apr 18, 2015
Country
USA
The USOC has told all NGBs with the name “Olympic” they are violating their trademark and must remove it.

Reactions: GAgymmom

txgymfan

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Relative
Fan
Sep 4, 2008
Houston
Country
USA
WOGA was forced to change it’s name years ago. Originally it was World Olympic Gymnastics Academy. It was changed to just WOGA and forced to stop using the word Olympic.

Reactions: amiandjim

MuggleMom

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Dec 22, 2016
Virginia
Country
USA
They said we should "get creative" what are some ideas to rename the path/stream?

MuggleMom

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Dec 22, 2016
Virginia
Country
USA
I found many people (initially) found the term "Junior Olympic" confusing....like I dont expect my kid to go to the Olympics so is that the path I want? and the you throw Elite in there and it blows their mind. I think moving away from Junior Olympic could help with newbie parents who are hesitant to make the jump to team. I normally love trying to think up clever names but I feel at a loss on this one it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Jan 31, 2012
The car
Country
USA
I found many people (initially) found the term "Junior Olympic" confusing....like I dont expect my kid to go to the Olympics so is that the path I want? and the you throw Elite in there and it blows their mind. I think moving away from Junior Olympic could help with newbie parents who are hesitant to make the jump to team. I normally love trying to think up clever names but I feel at a loss on this one it will be interesting to see what they come up with.
There is also the problem of new gym parents thinking that their kid is going to the Olympics because she's in JO.

bogwoppit

Former Admin
Gold Membership
Former Gymnast
Feb 26, 2007
Country
Canada
I agree that JO is a confusing term. It really sounds like kids are going to the O's. They could call it any number of things. The USAG Competitive Program would be pretty uncomplicated.

Reactions: txgymfan

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Fan
Feb 6, 2014
NoVa
Country
USA
I agree that JO is a confusing term. It really sounds like kids are going to the O's. They could call it any number of things. The USAG Competitive Program would be pretty uncomplicated.
It would still be confusing because xcel is also a usag competitive program. Maybe they should just call it the developmental program.

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Jul 19, 2011
Region 9
Country
USA
It would still be confusing because xcel is also a usag competitive program. Maybe they should just call it the developmental program.
THat could work, but the boys already have a stream called the Junior Development program.

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Jul 19, 2011
Region 9
Country
USA
Why can’t the boys and girls have the same names: boys and girls xcel, boys and girls developmental.
They can! I think that is easier. But Junior Development is a level within the JO program for the boys. THey have 4 paths: Junior Development, Junior Olympic, and Junior Elite, and the Xcel program. So they would have to change that part of the program.

Reactions: MILgymFAM

raenndrops

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Relative
Oct 24, 2009
The 'Wood, Ohio
Country
USA
They can! I think that is easier. But Junior Development is a level within the JO program for the boys. THey have 4 paths: Junior Development, Junior Olympic, and Junior Elite, and the Xcel program. So they would have to change that part of the program.
And the boys will have to change their JO anyways too.

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!