Just a little update...haven't posted in a while :-)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just thought I would post a little update on Dani. Her gymnastics is going really well--she has good days and bad days--but all in all she is progressing nicely. She has all of her routines choreographed so now it is just cleaning up and fine-tuning some skills. To me, it seems like this new level A (USAG 5) is a lot easier than Level 4. Maybe it is because she had so much to learn last year for level 4 and now that she has the basics, it is just learning a few new skills here and there. Our first meet is Dec 5th weekend--still a little bit away.

Oh, this is really exciting--so, most of you know that Dani also takes a ballet class once a week to help her with the gymnastics dance and "gracefullness". Well, the local ballet company (a different one from where she takes classes) held open auditions for "The Nutcracker" a few weekends ago. Dani was interested so she decided to audition. It turns out that the director really liked her and was impressed with her even though she hasn't been dancing too long. Her first rehearsals were last weekend and Dani says it is so much fun! If anyone is familiar with the Nutcracker ballet, the parts that she was chosen for are Cherub, Growing Doll, Soldier, English, Party Child and Mother Ginger Child. She says that so far her favorite part is the Mother Ginger Child, because she will be able to do some cartwheels and walkovers. Somehow, gymnastics always seems to sneak in there somewhere! :rolleyes: The show is the weekend before Christmas and practices are on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. They are very nice about working around her gymnastics schedule and it looks like there is only one meet where she may have to miss a ballet rehearsal. The next three months are going to be intense, but I am happy that Dani is coming out of her shell and wanting to do more "public" shows and things like this. I will keep you all posted!

Last edited:
What a neat opportunity for Dani! I'm sure she will enjoy being part of the production and it should strengthen those ballet skills even more. It will be intense to balance both gym training and Nutcracker rehearsals but there is an end in sight and you will love watching the show!

So glad it is all going well for Dani. Now she can come and compete in Quebec with BBB, can't wait to see that routine.

Love the ballet tale, she has a dancers body for sure.

How fun is that! Hope she has a blast with it and really enjoys it :)

Thanks for the update! Soooo proud of Dani:D!!!! She is an amazing young lady, with so much to offer! So exciting that she's in the Nutcracker!!!!! We just never know what is around the next corner do we???? So happy Dani is exploring new & exciting things along with her gymnastics! You go girl:D! I'd say 'break a leg' because I know they say that in theater...but I just feel so guilty saying it to a gymnast:p!

Thanks everyone! Bog--that's right--little BBB is now a Level 5!!! That's so awesome! How is she liking the big decision?

GJM--It is so true how we never know what is around the corner! I guess they don't really have a "good luck" saying for gymnasts...How about..."May the Fairies be with you". LOL

That is really cool, when does she do her costume fittings? Oh, and don't forget to keep a small camera in you bag, we need pictures!!!! Dani is soooo adorable, I can't wait to see those backstage photo's.

That is really cool, when does she do her costume fittings? Oh, and don't forget to keep a small camera in you bag, we need pictures!!!! Dani is soooo adorable, I can't wait to see those backstage photo's.

Thanks TeamDad! I am not sure when costume fittings are--we have a parent meeting this weekend. From what I hear, this local production is in it's 11th year and it is a BIG community effort--lots of volunteering and pitching in here and there. From the pictures of previous years, the costumes are AMAZING and very detailed which make for a very beautiful production. And don't worry--I will take lots of pics!!

Congratulations to Dani! What a fun opportunity! She is going to remember this for ever, and it's one more thing to share with her children someday. (ack! did you die a little inside at the idea of your baby being a mommy? I think I just did, lol)

How awesome that you gave her the chance to audition and get involved:D

What a great opportunity! Tell Dani to have fun. Sounds like a great thing for her. I hope that you'll post videos of her performance.

What is Level A? Is that prep-opt? or something else? I'm sorry, I'm only familiar witht the USAG levels. Other programs just aren't popular around this area, we rarely get to see prep-opt, so I don't know much about how it works.

What a great opportunity! Tell Dani to have fun. Sounds like a great thing for her. I hope that you'll post videos of her performance.

What is Level A? Is that prep-opt? or something else? I'm sorry, I'm only familiar witht the USAG levels. Other programs just aren't popular around this area, we rarely get to see prep-opt, so I don't know much about how it works.

I guess you can call Level A prep-opt. Dani is in a Mason Dixon League which is kind of like a YMCA format that still follows the USAG skills and scoring. It is more of a recreational league with decreased hours (All MDLs practice around 6-7 hrs a week) and they have 6 competitions with the last one being "championships". It is a regional program that includes MD and VA (the Mason-Dixon line). Level A is the first level of optionals where the gymnasts get to create their own routines using the Level 5 skills. So it is a great program for kids that enter gymnastics late (my dd started at the age of 9). They only have to do one year of "compulsory routines" and then they start with the optionals. Plus, the scoring is not as tough as USAG and coaches are allowed to be on the floor at comps to spot skills but the gymnast would take a deduction. That way they don't have to totally "scratch" an event if they have fears and missing skills. That's pretty much it in a nutshell!!!

It sounds like the program has been wonderful for Dani, and really would be great for most kids! I love the fact that our system here is similar to yours, in the optional routine area. It sure makes the sport more personal and less repetitive.

Your reduced hours are great, especially when opportunities like this come along for your little star! We can't wait to see the performance. Is video taping allowed??

This program has been a godsend for Dani! She is talented, but sometimes doesn't have the "attention span" or "serious attitude" that most of the USAG's have. And then there are the fear issues we have been dealing with...I often am in awe and amazement at her coach for her having the patience and ability to deal with the silliness, moodiness and downright goofiness and peculiarities of the team!! LOL

As for the videotaping, I am not sure if it is allowed but I sure hope so!!!

MdGM, I'm so excited for Dani! Sounds like she really is coming out of her shell & trying new things. Good for her, and good for you, Mom, for supporting her!

As you know, we are embarking on some new 'dance' adventures around our house as well! So you & I will have to keep in touch on how all that goes! So far, I am finding that once dd gets a chance to learn the moves & get them into her 'body memory' she looks pretty good. But it's a whole new skill set w/ it's own challenges, isn't it?!

Have fun & keep us posted. :)

I guess you can call Level A prep-opt. Dani is in a Mason Dixon League which is kind of like a YMCA format that still follows the USAG skills and scoring. It is more of a recreational league with decreased hours (All MDLs practice around 6-7 hrs a week) and they have 6 competitions with the last one being "championships". It is a regional program that includes MD and VA (the Mason-Dixon line). Level A is the first level of optionals where the gymnasts get to create their own routines using the Level 5 skills. So it is a great program for kids that enter gymnastics late (my dd started at the age of 9). They only have to do one year of "compulsory routines" and then they start with the optionals. Plus, the scoring is not as tough as USAG and coaches are allowed to be on the floor at comps to spot skills but the gymnast would take a deduction. That way they don't have to totally "scratch" an event if they have fears and missing skills. That's pretty much it in a nutshell!!!

Sounds like it has been just the right choice for Dani. Thanks for explaining it for me. I look forward to seeing her performance video and tell Dani good luck this season also. I'm sure she'll do great, can't wait to hear what floor music she picks.

Sounds like it has been just the right choice for Dani. Thanks for explaining it for me. I look forward to seeing her performance video and tell Dani good luck this season also. I'm sure she'll do great, can't wait to hear what floor music she picks.
Thanks nw ohio!!!! Her floor music is "At the Hop", a very fast, fun, fifties routine!!! It is so cute and it really fits her personality!

Yay sounds like she's having lots of fun! Congrats on the Nutcracker parts, very cool! They do love to sneak gymnastics in that's for sure lol! You'll be busy in the next few months but you'll have some awesome memories! Keep us updated on the costumes, Nutcracker has some awesome ones :D I just got 2 for my DD at her studios fundraiser for $25 bucks and they are adorable! She ran around the gym in one while I was at work the other day it was pretty funny.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back