Parents Just a little update

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nettyinpa

Hi everyone. I've been missing my CB friends and gymnastics in general so I had to log-on today to get my 'fix'! I never thought that Olivia quitting would have such an effect on me. I think I'm taking it worse than she is. I'm getting better but it will be a while until I get it out of my system. I've always been a very involved mom, help out whenever and wherever I can so I think I'm having a problem letting go of all that. But, it's getting easier.

Anyway, Olivia has started taking diving lessons and absolutely loves it!! She's a water rat by nature, will stay in a pool from sun-up to sun-down if you'd let her so she's definitely in her element. The coach was very excited for her to join since she was a gymnast. She had to learn to dive which was a short process. She did it from the board and by the end of practice yesterday she was doing front flips off the board. She said the first one was kind of scary but after that she didn't want to stop. Practices are only an hour long (not long enough in her eyes). We're still looking for some other things for her to get involved in but we're not in a rush. She's happy, healthy, not tired so much any more and is enjoying her time at home, most nights, happily playing (and of course fighting) with her older brother.

It was a tough weekend for us, though. Both of her former teams were at away meets, one in Boston, the other in Maryland. So knowing they were all off competing made us both think about things this weekend. But we sent e-mails and face booked a lot of people to let them know we're cheering them on at home. She wants to go visit her friends at the gym sometime next week. We'll probably go next Tuesday after diving practice! Going from 18-20 hours a week to 1-2 is quite an adjustment! But, it's one I highly recommend! :cool:

Until next time!!
Lynette & Olivia

So glad that things are going well with no regrets. Sounds like she is coming along nicely in diving, and having a blast to boot. Maybe before long you will be a "diving" mom.

Sounds like she is happy and having fun. For my DD it has been 1 year since she quit and I still miss it too.Especially comp season and traveling.She is much happier and for the most part pain free without gymnastics and when I look back I remember being so worried about her too.Sometimes I have to remind myself of that.
I'm really glad Olivia found another sport she enjoys.

Glad Olivia is finding new things to love. She will shine at many things as she is such a natural athlete. Hopefully as she moves onto new things you will find new connections. HOWEVER, do not even think about leaving us. We have many ex gym parents here and they are not allowed to leave either!

Glad to hear that Olivia is doing well and enjoying the diving. I can't imagine what the transition must be like for you. DH and I have discussed it occasionally as we know that time will be upon us in a couple of years, and it's kind of overwhelming! Gymnastics really does involve your whole family, and I'm sure there is a grieving process that you all will have to go through. It sounds like the diving is a really positive experience for Olivia right now which is the most important thing for her. Good luck to you all and stay in touch!

Netty, I'm so happy to hear that Olivia has decided to take up diving and that she LOVES it! It is so often true that when one door closes, another one opens in it's place. I was so sad to hear that Olivia had decided to quit gymnastics (it is addicting, isn't it?), but I have every confidence that she will be very successful in dive. I know nothing about it, and it's so sad that very few schools in the county where I live have dive teams... actually, let me change that, I'm pretty sure NONE of them here have dive. They only have swim... and I'm sure that's because there are really no true diving facilities in the county, hence no place for a team to practice for their school... now I could be wrong, but you never hear or read about dive results here! At any rate, you'll have to come back here and let us know about her competitions!

Glad that things are going well!! I am sure Olivia will find things she like to do. If she is happy, that is all that matters. Hang in there and keep posting here!! You have lots of experiences to share and we like hearing how you guys are doing!!

Netty--I am so happy for Olivia!!! I know that it can be hard to let go--sometimes it is often harder on the parents than the kids! Gymnastics can be such an intense and all-consuming sport that it does take up a lot of our time. But Olivia is a very talented and athletic girl and has so many great opportunities ahead of her. You'll see--there will be lots for you to get involved in and help out with :). We do have quite a few parents here whose dd's are involved in other things than gymnastics and personally, I love hearing about it here--it adds some diversity and a new perspective that can be very helpful here.

Please stick around Netty. I want to hear all about Olivia's diving!!!

Thanks for updating us!!!

It's great to see that Olivia has found a new passion and that she's enjoying the challenge. It sounds like she's a natural at it.

I had to laugh at the 1 hour diving practice...how she thinks it is not long enough! Tooooo funny! Spoken like a gymnast! I am so glad she is happy. We miss you & miss hearing about Olivia's gymnastics but we will look forward to hearing about everything else she gets into!

I am glad Olivia and you are doing well. It is great that she found something that she enjoys and how nice is it that she has extra time on her hands to be a kid. I know what you mean by saying it feels weird because she is not doing gymnastics for now. I am sure I would feel the same way. My daughter has recently gone back and forth of whether she wants to continue and it can be really stressful just making the decision. For now she stills wants to continue but I do not know about the future I am just taking it one day at a time. Anyway your update has given me hope that if she decides to give it up there is life after gymnastics for her. I hope if that day comes I will be able to handle things as well as you. Good luck to her in diving!

What a wonderful update on Olivia!!! Diving sounds like it was the perfect alternative to the gym... glad she is doing so well!

so glad to hear everything is going so well. You never know she might still come back to gym I've seen girls leave for a year and then come back. You just never know ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back