WAG Just a question about current WAG vaults?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm a new WAG fan and I'd like to preface this by apologizing if this is a dumb question or if it has already been explained. During the 2012 and 2016 Olympic cycles many women were performing the Amanar vault ( Yurchenko with 2.5 twists), but now the most difficult vaults I've seen most people do is the double twisting Yurchenko. Is there a reason why women gymnasts have decreased overall vault difficulty in this new cycle (except for Simone Biles and a handful of others?) Is there no advantage to doing more difficult vaults anymore? Thanks so much in advance for your insights.

Some of it is likely due to changes in the code of points - the amanar has decreased in value relative to the DTY over the years (it's still worth more, but the jump in D-value from the DTY to the Amamar decreased for the 2016 quad and again for this one). For the 2012 quad it was worth a whopping .7 more than a DTY, and for the 2016 quad it was worth .5 more. No wonder everyone who could possibly manage an amanar in 2012 was attempting them in competition at least some of the time. But it's only a .4 difference now, so gymnasts can often make that up (or make most of it up) performing a clean, consistent DTY over a "maybe she'll land it, maybe both her knees will explode" amanar. I think If they're not particularly strong vaulters, they may be able to better use their reps and energy upgrading elsewhere now.

And of course there's just somewhat of an ebb and flow and cycle to which events are particularly "stacked" in the top-performing countries and where gymnasts are pushing difficulty (ex. some years we're desperately looking under the stands for strong bars routines while we ooze floor phenoms, and now we've got plenty of gymnasts able to medal on bars but floor is weaker than last quad).

A quick fun fact: the double twisting Yurchenko is a named skill: it’s called the Baitova, named after Belarusian gymnast Svetlana Baitova. She competed it in 1987, and I believe she got it named after her at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back