just because i can't hear doesn't mean i can't do gym *rant*

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bribri514

as most people here know, i was born profoundly deaf in both ears. my mom is a sign language interpret an now is a specal/deaf ed coordinator so i grew up signing. i've had hearing aids a couple times but they don't do a whole lot. i can't lip read and i can't talk (well i've been in speech therapy and can say some things, but i choose not to, it's just awkward and embarassing and i get made fun of).

anyway i've also been doing gym since i was 3, so pretty much since i was born. i made the TOPs national team, qualified for JO nationals, was invited to train elite, etc. (not to brag, just saying that i've really worked hard to be a success gymnast).

but i keep coming across coaches and parents and other girls who think i shouldn't be doing gym. when i was younger some of the girls made a big joke out of immitating me doing routines and skills. they apparently would make the same noises i do and slap their hands across their chest and stagger around and call me retarded.

my first year of high school i did school gym but the coach and some of the older girls didn't want me on their team (i was the only level 10 on the tem and coming off qualifying for nationals which i guess intimidate the lder girls but i didn't know that.) anyway the coach wouldn't work with me, she said i needed 8/to go do special olympics. my mom filed a complaint and she got fired but i still ended up quitting the team at the end of the season.

my club team is usually really great. there's always the occasional parent (mostly of the younger girls) who willl come up and try to talk really loud and slow and say how it's so nice that i can be handicapped and still do well.

that's what made me write this. today at practice my coach was out sick so one of the new coaches was working with the 9/10 group. i was warming up and doing drills with my team and everything was fine until she tried to get my attention. one of the girls explained to her i'm deaf and she got all flustered and the rest of the practice adjusted the way she interact with me. she was slow and over exagerating everything. every skill i worked on she clapped and gave a big thumbs up, even ones that i know i messed up on. i've been having problems with the side switch, sheep jump part of my routine and have been using a wolf jump instead, but want to work my way back up for state. she told me to just keep the wolf jump it's a good skill that i do good, like i was a little kid and she didn't want me to try anything too hard. i got mad and started trying to show off to her by trying to throw big skills that i can't really do (like my full in full out that needs a lot of work)...

any advice about how to deal with it better

practice was just frustrating. i don't want to dwell on it, i've spent my whole life dealing with it and ignoring it and just working as hard as i can. it's part of why i like gym, i usually don't have to deal with that stff,

thanks for listening (lol). i've also just been in a gym a ton lately 25 hours a week plus meets so that's probably adding to frustration.

<3

Hey Bri, haven't seen you for ages, glad you're still around.

If I was so lucky to have you as my DD I would go in for a meeting with the coach and explain clearly that you cannot hear but that doesn't mean you can't comprehend. All she has to do is develop a way to communicate. At camp the girls use hand signals as it is so loud, works great and they are very easy to pick up. Your team is used to you and the coach needs to be encouraged to step up and coach you safely and well!

What should you do, well explain to her that you may not hear, but are not mentally challenged. I know my friends little girl, who is ridiculously smart and profoundly deaf, often gets shouted at by new teachers, like that'll help her!!!

I can only imagine your frustration today, and many other days. You continually impress me with your drive and determination. The coach will catch on, but give her a chance, she may not be as smart as you and I both know you are!

Take care,

Bog

bogwoppit had great ideas, I'd definetly suggest explaining your situation, and hopefully she'll understand soon. I'm sorry that you have to deal with all of that, I would be so frustrated having to deal with the coach. Congratulations with all of your hard work and good luck with the situation!

We have a profoundly deaf little girl in our Reception class at school. Last week we had a special staff meeting by her deaf education officer(not sure her exact title).

She went through how Jessicas deafness affects her in the school environment and how we should adjust our teaching to her needs. It was really interesting with lots of good basic ideas. She emphasised how it would help any other children we might get with hearing loss not just Jessica. We all felt so much more confident about teaching Jessica.

I just mention it because I think all the coaches at your gym really need to know more about you. As happened - another coach can have to cover and be unprepared. You know it is no big deal! But they may think it is - and the frustration and embarrassment you suffered today is unnecessary. Why dont you do a snazzy leaflet about yourself for the coaches to read. Tell them how you like to communicate, how they can communicate with you, what they should and shouldn't do, what your attitude is to gymnastics and the level you are at. I know it might feel abit weird for you but as a coach I would love to have that information just in case I needed it. Talk to your coach anyway and keep going with that Sheep Jump! Best Wishes

If I was so lucky to have you as my DD I would go in for a meeting with the coach and explain clearly that you cannot hear but that doesn't mean you can't comprehend. All she has to do is develop a way to communicate. At camp the girls use hand signals as it is so loud, works great and they are very easy to pick up. Your team is used to you and the coach needs to be encouraged to step up and coach you safely and well!

What should you do, well explain to her that you may not hear, but are not mentally challenged. I know my friends little girl, who is ridiculously smart and profoundly deaf, often gets shouted at by new teachers, like that'll help her!!!

I can only imagine your frustration today, and many other days. You continually impress me with your drive and determination. The coach will catch on, but give her a chance, she may not be as smart as you and I both know you are!

Bog

I totally agree with Bog. Sounds like she has some great advice, I couldn't say it any better than she has. Thanks for some sound advice Bog.

thanks for all the advice guys!! i will definitely use it. i've been dealing with this stuff my whole life and don't like feeling down about it and feeling different b/c i am Deaf, it's just frustrating. but yeah you guys rock!

and i'm alive bog. our meet season started in january so i am soo swamped with gym. we also had some family drama, my little sis moved down to denver with my aunt and uncle so she could dance and for some discipline stuff. crazy times here, but i missed you guys.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back