Parents Just checking in, summer update

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

TeamDad

Hey everyone. I hope everyone's summer is going great. Elizabeth's been having a great time at camp. We tried something different this year, no sports, to give her body a much needed rest. She started with fashion, then switched to cooking and finished with sailing. It was a nice change of pace for her.

The local team in our area (actually, it's about an hour's drive each way) finally decided to cut through the corporate red tape and let her work out with the team once a week and we also took her for a private once a week.

The head coach at this gym asked us what she wanted to work on and we just wanted him to focus on some of the bad habits she's developed. The first day of team, she was a little intimidated. She said some of the girls were really young and really good, throwing tricks that she hasn't even worked on yet. At her first private, she went head to head with the coach, and I'm told, the coach told her that she can either do things his way or he wasn't going to coach her.

Thankfully, she decided not to be stubborn and do things the coaches way. He had to break some stuff down at first and she struggled, but she has made some really good progress that will help her in the long run. She's really excited to have her giant now (yeah for her).

Elizabeth's with me now in the City doing a two week ballet intensive. On the last day, we are allowed to bring our cameras for the exhibition. I'll post the video here if there's no objection. Then it's off to gymnastics camp. I can't believe the summer's almost over:(

Sounds like Elizabeth is having just an awesome summer. Yeah to those giants!!! So, will she go back to her regular gym for meet season or will you stay with the one she's doing privates at? How does the regular gym feel about her going elsewhere for some practice and privates?

Hmmmm---intense ballet----2 words my gymmie would not want to ever hear:)

I'd love to see video or pics of Elizabeth---ballet, gym, sailing---whatever!

Hi GLM,

While our gym wants her to be there during the summer, they understand that she isn't here and they are happy that she is getting gym time, keeping up her conditioning and working on some new skills.

The other gym was reluctant to take her at first because we are still 'in state' and compete against them during the season. They were ok with her doing privates, but needed permission from headquarters (they have three gyms in the area) for her to work out with the team.

In the end, it all worked out. I pushed it because I felt that it is important since she isn't working out with her team, she needs to show up in Sept. with the skills she needs to compete L7 or they might make her repeat L6 and I just don't want to risk it. It would be a disaster..

We already have to break the news to them in the fall that she will have an increased ballet schedule and she will be missing more gym time. We'd like to get through one more year before Elizabeth chooses. This coming ballet season, she will finally start to really dance like the big girls.

For us the decision is difficult because in ballet, she has world class teachers. Since the decision isn't really ours to make, we'd like her to experience the benefits of all her hard work by finally getting to dance before she decides that she'd rather do gymnastics.

While the other gym has an outstanding program and their coaching staff is exceptional, it just isn't geographically possible to train there during the school year and we aren't ready to move out of the city.

Hi GLM,

While our gym wants her to be there during the summer, they understand that she isn't here and they are happy that she is getting gym time, keeping up her conditioning and working on some new skills.

The other gym was reluctant to take her at first because we are still 'in state' and compete against them during the season. They were ok with her doing privates, but needed permission from headquarters (they have three gyms in the area) for her to work out with the team.

In the end, it all worked out. I pushed it because I felt that it is important since she isn't working out with her team, she needs to show up in Sept. with the skills she needs to compete L7 or they might make her repeat L6 and I just don't want to risk it. It would be a disaster..

We already have to break the news to them in the fall that she will have an increased ballet schedule and she will be missing more gym time. We'd like to get through one more year before Elizabeth chooses. This coming ballet season, she will finally start to really dance like the big girls.

For us the decision is difficult because in ballet, she has world class teachers. Since the decision isn't really ours to make, we'd like her to experience the benefits of all her hard work by finally getting to dance before she decides that she'd rather do gymnastics.

While the other gym has an outstanding program and their coaching staff is exceptional, it just isn't geographically possible to train there during the school year and we aren't ready to move out of the city.

Such a talented child!!! I agree the decision to fully immerse herself in dance or gymnastics needs to be hers. She's certainly old and mature enough to see the pluses and minuses of both.

Dance like the big girls? To my eye she already is! I think she is just remarkable.

Good for you for pushing things a little to get her some gym time with very top level coaches. Quality over quantity will win everytime.

Congrats to her on her giants! It's great that she's getting to try so many other things this summer too. Is she enjoying herself?

Sounds like you have everything working out for Elizabeth this summer! That's great! Congrats on the giants. Sometimes they need a break or a change of scenery to make things happen :)

WOW!!! She is really so talented! I can't wait to see her ballet video, and I agree w/GLM... to me, she already dances like the "big girls!"

Congrats to her on the giants as well! I think it's great she's training w/another gym for the summer... just another set of eyes, if you know what I mean. I wish I had the opportunity to do that w/DD. She's developed a fear of her tumbling, and w/o that, I just can't imagine what her L7 season is going to be like... oh well.... it's up to her!

I'll be watching for that video!

Good for you for pushing things a little to get her some gym time with very top level coaches. Quality over quantity will win everytime.

This would seem to be the case. I took her to practice with her team on Monday, and since I don't have the car, I stayed and watched. To my eyes, she not only looked to be doing just fine (her form looked excellent) she was doing skills that the other girls are still struggling with or not doing at all (looked like fear issues).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back