WAG Just competed my last competition ever

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
So, this weekend just passed I competed in my final state championships at level 7. It didn't quite hit me how final this was until i was putting on my comp leotard realising this was probably the last time I would ever put that leotard on, the last time i would walk out onto the floor and present to the judges. I went into the competition with the goal to place top 6 (state goes out to sixth place) and ideally top 3 on floor and not fall off beam.

I did just that.

Scores:
Floor: (D score - 3.7) final score 11.95 - 5th place
Beam: D score - 3.2) final score 10.95 - 7th place (0.05 off placing)
Vault: (D score - 2.4) final score 10.6

Great job! I remember my own very last competition. My club organized it, so it was pretty bittersweet. I had a goal to finally get a 9 in competition for the first time in my life. I got two of them :)

You're lucky to have videos... My parents didn't have any camera to do that when I quit.

Congrats on a great job! Hopefully, you will still be part of the sport as a coach or judge one day. Think of all the kids that you could be a role model to, and how much knowledge and passion you have to pass on! Good luck in whatever you decide.

It sounds like you still really love it, why stop competing?

I can't continue training, I'm not injured but I've got to the point where I need to work more and as long as I'm training I can't coach as much as I like and can only work 2.5 hours a week. My uni timetable is around 20 hours away and over an hours drive from the gym.

We are also getting terrible coaches as they are getting very focused on the NDP program and the only coach we have is a cheerleader who has no experience in gymnastics whatsoever and hasn't attempted to learn all that much. As we are being given whatever is left over I don't feel it is worth staying because I'll just get angry with the situation. I will continue to do adult gym every week and transfer into circus a bit more.

I have also heard rumours that they are canning state stream next year so I would have to compete NDP which I have no interest in doing.

Overall it just feels like its time to quit before everything goes to pieces because I want to leave an continue to love the sport and not have any bitter feelings towards it.

I know you have loyalty to your club, but can you train/coach at a club closer to uni?

I am continuing to coach at my club, just not train any more and I have come to terms with that. When I started I was given a year to do gymnastics because parents didn't want me to do competitive gym during years 11 and 12. As I got an extra 3 years competing I consider myself pretty lucky.

I don't think I could cope with another year of gymnastics either. So next year I plan on getting my level 1 (been meaning to do that for 2 years), doing a judging course and staying in the sport that way :)

It's time for a new chapter and I'm sad to leave the old one behind but excited to see what is in store for the next few years

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back