Parents Just Curious, Who Chooses the Music?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Who chooses your gymmies floor music?

• My gymmie gets to pick her own music

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • My gymmie and I pick the music out together

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • My gymmie and her coach decide on a song that suits her

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • It is, entirely, the coaches choice

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
Something a mother at Pixie's gym said to me yesterday got me thinking...
it's not terribly important, I'm just curious.

One of the mother's that I've gotten to know during the practices was talking to me about her daughter moving up.

She was in L5 the past two season and she told me that if they were going to keep her in L5 again the was going to quit. She went on to tell me that the daughter had her skills for L7 and her daughter was looking forward to getting to pick out and have her own music for floor.

Well, the otherday I saw that the daughter did get moved up since she's practicing with the other L7s. I told her I was really happy for her daughter and asked her if she got to pick out hr music yet. She told me no that she doesn't get to pick it that the coach does.

I admit, I was a little surprised by this.

How normal is it that the coach picks the music? Does your gymmie have a say in the music she competes to? What do you all think about this?

~Thanks!

I can only speak for the MDL program since that is what my dd is on at her gym. The gymnast and the coach get to pick out the music together. The coach pretty much lets the child have some say in the choice but "steers" them towards other music if the piece the child wants is too crazy or will not go over well with the judges. The coach understands that it is very important for the gymnast to not only like the music that they will practice and perform to all year, but also "connect to" and "feel" the music as well.

It really varies in our gym, gymmies can suggest music to their coach. The coach will let the girls listen to all the choices and let them choose. Often with the little ones they will have three choices for them to pick from.

I have found music that my oldest has used no problem. The coach will always make sure that the music is a good fit no matter what.

I know it is different at every gym and there is a lot more to choosing floor music than the gymmie and parent liking it.

Could only pick 1 option, so chose gymmie and coach. Actually parents can help the gymmie choose and many of us sit and listen to endless CDs, websites etc. trying to help gymmie find music. Then you ask the coach is they approve and they have the ultimate thumbs up/down. There is also the option of asking about music that someone else used several years ago and getting new choreo for it.

Right now, my gymmie is driving me nuts on what music she wants. Wants something memorable, unique, exciting-----I may need that bottle of wine that floats around here from time to time.

At our gym the girl can choose 3 pieces of music the music but parents will always put their 2 cents worth into it. Then the girl will present these to the coach and Owner and they will approve or disapprove the music. My DD had 5 pieces she liked and couldn't decide on so she gave them 5 they narrowed it down quickly to 2. They approved the harry potter which is the one she went with or jack sparrow from Pirates of Caribbean. she could then choose from one of those. She choose Harry Potter because she remembered there was a girl at another gym that had one of the Pirates music and she wanted to be different. The Harry Potter really suites her better so I gave my opinion when she was choosing too.

One poor girl had to have gone through 30 or more choices before she gave up and said what ever the coach chooses will be ok. She got an Irving Berlin medely which after she heard it Loved it. She never though of looking at that type of music. She learned to listen to all types of music not just the popular stuff.

Could only pick 1 option, so chose gymmie and coach. Actually parents can help the gymmie choose and many of us sit and listen to endless CDs, websites etc. trying to help gymmie find music. Then you ask the coach is they approve and they have the ultimate thumbs up/down. There is also the option of asking about music that someone else used several years ago and getting new choreo for it.

Right now, my gymmie is driving me nuts on what music she wants. Wants something memorable, unique, exciting-----I may need that bottle of wine that floats around here from time to time.

I hear you on that. you'll need a whole crate of wine before your done. The music should really emphasize the gymnasts personality if possible then they can really play it up when the perform. They should also really like the music they get. Being happy with your music will help the performance too.

My dd's control over her music gradually increased with age. When she was a level 7, she asked me to burn two pieces of music for her coach/choreographer to listen to. I added a third, "Can Can," which was the one the coach eventually chose. Two years later for Level 9, dd convinced me that "Baby Elephant Walk" would work, and while I initially disagreed, I cut it anyway, and was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out.

Since then, dd has had two pieces of music for Level 10 and two more for college that I have had no input in whatsoever :mad:

Cher--This is round 2 of fx music. We were rather rushed in picking something for L7 since we had just changed gyms and after listening to most of the Floor Express CDs, we finally ended up with music at least everyone liked. Thing is this past year as a L8, the routine just never really had the zip it needed. So now that she's had that music for 2 yrs, its time to get something new.

This time I want gymmie to at least come close to "loving" the music since it will take her through L9. She seems to favor music by Bond and is a powerful tumbler, need to talk with the coach and choreographer and see what they think.

BTW--Love the music and the choreo your dd has!!! It does so fit her. I think it will be a drop dead gorgeous routine.

Our answer is the same as most others, dd picked 3 possible pieces to take to her coach. She definitely had a favorite, but she was not sure the coach would like it so the others were back-up. Luckily the coach liked her favorite best - hurray. She practiced it for a year before competing it this season. I think she will have it for at least one more year with adjusted tumbling. She already has ideas about her next music though. She wants a piece that a former team-mate had choreographed, but never competed because she was forced to retire (injuries).

From what I've seen, it's typically been the gymnast picking out music and then submitting it to the coach. From there, they will decide if it can be done pending on the dance style of the gymnast.

However, quite a few gyms for L7 all use the same music and routine. It's boring, especially when they have an army of L7's, but cheaper besides being easier to coach.

Dd is at a gym where she, nor me, have any say in floor music. The HC picks the music for the girls. Me, well I just write the check for the music and another check for choreography (lucky me :rolleyes:.)

I will say though that HC knows her girls pretty well and is usually spot on. Dd's floor routine for level 7 & 8 was beautiful and really highlighted dd's strengths.

Can't wait to see what she gets this time around!!! ;)

Cher--This is round 2 of fx music. We were rather rushed in picking something for L7 since we had just changed gyms and after listening to most of the Floor Express CDs, we finally ended up with music at least everyone liked. Thing is this past year as a L8, the routine just never really had the zip it needed. So now that she's had that music for 2 yrs, its time to get something new.

This time I want gymmie to at least come close to "loving" the music since it will take her through L9. She seems to favor music by Bond and is a powerful tumbler, need to talk with the coach and choreographer and see what they think.

BTW--Love the music and the choreo your dd has!!! It does so fit her. I think it will be a drop dead gorgeous routine.

Hope your DD doesn't have to go too many rounds to get a good music choice she loves.

Thanks too - The more my DD does her routine the more she just loves it and her music. After my DD got her routine the "gym queen" (who of course got her routine done first) wasn't happy with her routine AT ALL. There had been talk that the HC wanted to take some of my DD's Routine and another girls routine and giving it to the Queen but I put a stop to that quickly with a vist to the owner to put a stop to that!!! I told the owner I paid big money to get that routine and I'm not going to allow some whining brat who throws tantrums at 14 yo who is now unhappy with her routine to just take over my DD's Routine and I don't want to see any elements of my DD's routine in her routine.!!!
the other mom was also in to see the owner on this too 10 min after I spoke to him. We were both assured that no ones routines would be used for this girl.

All the gymnasts when working with the choreographer had input into their routines and if there was something that they didn't like she changed it this girl said nothing the whole time. Mom is just as bad constantly demanding her DD needs more attention because teens just need more attention. Give me a break. This girl is more talented than my DD and will always be one of the high scorers but the routine she has now will never get a good score It's just too boring. I thought that when she got the routine. Now the HC realizes this too and wants her to score high.

Now I hear she is going to leave the gym for our "rival" gym Can't wait!! When she finally goes it will be a well oiled team that actually gets along and the HC favorite will be gone and we have a new coach for the optional levels and she is wonderful (for now) She actually works with all the girls equally and my DD loves her alot. She likes the HC but if she were to leave my DD wouldn't be heartbroken about it.

My dd has always picked her own music and luckily, I have liked whatever she picked. The last piece, I picked, but I played it and let her think that it was her choice. It turned out to be the best music that she has ever had and it fit her perfectly. Now, it's that time again to choose music and I dread it. She is older and her music preference is a bit alternative. Her coach goes along with what she wants because he believes first and foremost that the gymnast should like the music. Just a word of caution: At our last gym they brought in a new coach that not only insisted on selecting THE music for each gymnast, but she also appointed herself the sole choreographer for every girl on the team. And no, she did not give them a coach's discount. I had been around for while so I saw many recycled floor routines that she was cashing in on. So just for the record, if a choreographer insists that a gymmie use a particular selection, chances are she might already have a routine in mind that someone else paid for through the years.

Last edited:
at my dd's gym the coach picks the music and choreographs they seem to do a pretty good gym I have not heard of any of the parents complaing.

I think, but am not certain, that the L7/8 girls coach chooses the music for them but the L9/10 girls pick their own music.

I personally think the girls should have a say in it. In hindsight I'm not sure why I was surprised as the L7/8 coach likes to micromanage the girls. Not saying that's bad or good that's just how she coaches. I think the girls should have some input into the song they're going to compete to. It does seem that the coach chooses songs that fit the gymnasts personalities but I also think that it's important for the gymnast to enjoy the song that they compete to.

At our Gym the girls get to submit their choice then the HC/Owner approves it. My DD has her heart set on a particular song and I really hope that it is approved. We're not getting routines/music until August/Sept.

The coach has the most say, but the gymnast has influence as well--typically the coach comes to the gymnast with a selection of narrowed down choices and the gymnast picks from those. Usually at level 7, several of the girls have the same music, so those girls have music chosen for them. Level 8s and higher have more choice in their music. Beth is excited because she's getting new music this year. Parents have little input--the HC that does the music has said it's more important for the gymnast to like the music than the parent (and I agree!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back