WAG Just for fun: L10 bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

josie55

Proud Parent
With so much that is not awesome right now, I’d like to imagine for a moment that my kid gets a season, and that she’s a first year level 10.

I will lay out a bar routine and would love to know if this is a minimal routine or “up to level.” She (dd) says that it’s the former, but also that it has some bonuses. I don’t yet understand how L10 scoring works so here goes...

kip, jump to high bar, kip cast hs, pirouette, overshoot to hs, toe full, toe shoot, kip cast hs, toe full, double pike. So several connections, no giants, no harder releases. Imagine that all handstands are hit and held. form is solid, etc.

What say you, scoring experts?

TIA!

This is what I got. Hopefully it’s right ;)

Kip CHS pirouette - C
Overshoot HS to HS - D
C+D - .1 connection bonus .1 difficulty bonus

Toe Full - D - .1 diff bonus
If directly connected to overshoot (no kip) - D + D - .2 conn bonus
If not directly connected no connection bonus.

Toe Shoot - C
C+D - .1 cv bonus - connected to toe full

KCH
Toe Full - D
already got bonus for this skill - no additional diff bonus

Double Pike - C
Connected to toe full - D+C - .1 cv bonus

Total Bonus - .5 connection bonus + .2 difficulty bonus
Only .5 total allowed with .4 max in each category

There is an additional .1 of bonus available that essentially leads to a 10.1 start value but need an E skill plus .6 or more in bonus. This routine has no E skill so doesn’t qualify.

Special Requirements
C Flight - YES
2nd flight min B - YES
long angle turn - YES
C dismount - YES

This routine starts from a 10.0

Composition
Must compete 2 of the following 3 elements - circle (toe, stalder, clear), long angle turn, forward skill. - YES
2 bar changes - YES
change direction - YES
etc.

Up to level

Releases - For no deduction need 2 D/E releases. This has 1 isolated D and 1 isolated C so could incur a .1 deduction if the judge chooses.

Dismount - Good - D connected to C (this routine has this) or D/E dismount required.

Everyone gets caught up with up to level but theses are just deductions just like any other deduction like bent legs or pointed toes or amplitude or an abundance of other things that could easily be more than the UTL deduction and judges are notoriously subjective so my advice is always to trust the coach on this one. :)

This is a great first year level 10 routine until she gets a high bar release skill but many gyms wont let the girls compete level 10 without a high bar release. No wrong or right, just depends on the coach and the kid.

Wow - thank you! It’s super interesting and makes me even more in awe of judges who can calculate this stuff on the fly. Here is another question: is a high bar release (e.g a ray) worth more than a Maloney? I thought they were the same but it sounds like a Maloney is a lesser skill?

Wow - thank you! It’s super interesting and makes me even more in awe of judges who can calculate this stuff on the fly. Here is another question: is a high bar release (e.g a ray) worth more than a Maloney? I thought they were the same but it sounds like a Maloney is a lesser skill?
A Maloney (toe hand low bar release shoot back to high bar) is a D skill. A Ray (toe hand release over high bar turn over and catch) is an E skill so is worth more (.2 bonus vs .1 bonus plus eligibility for .1 extra bonus). All high bar releases are not Es though. A straddle jaeger (front giant release straddle flip to catch bar) is a D but a piked jaeger is an E. A straddle tkatchev (like a ray but from a swing) is a D.

The Maloney is a legitimate release move and often combined with something out of the back swing of the catch. The new trend seems to be to connect it to a pak or overshoot and this is a D+D connection which is very desirable.

High bar single releases are perceived as more difficult and desirable but aren’t required. Many college gymnasts do a Maloney/shaposh skill connected to pak/overshoot and do very well. In college a high bar release skill is worth extra bonus so you can accomplish the same start value with less skills I guess.

Hope that helps :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back