Parents Just heard myself say....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

auswi

Proud Parent
Just heard myself say " Trust the process..." for the umpteenth time to one of my gymnasts & realised I've said it lots of times to both of them over the years!

This is said when either is struggling with a skill. It means: trust your coaches to know how to resolve issues, trust the drills & then trust yourself.

Then usually followed by " now tell me 3 positives about your session".

I thought it might be fun to hear others catch phrases.

We do the 3 positives over here too..thesedays it is not really necessary...she gets in the car and chats away, sharing the positive first.. I have worked hard to have positive discussed first. She actually loves spewing out the daily practice details, it seems like it is almost therapeutic for her.:) But when she gets to the age where she might not want to share the practice news with me, this is fine also....as long as she tells me those 3 things....figure lay the groundwork now while it is easy, so it becomes ingrained!

"There is a reason for everything. We just don't always know what the reason is right away. We also might not agree with it. But know there is a reason."

"Have FUN" (said before every practice)
"I love you" (said before every practice)

"Work hard and have fun!"
"Tell me what was the most fun today; Tell me what you worked hardest at/ are most proud of"
"Isn't it interesting how every gymnast has different things they are good or not good at" - this is usually said when DD is mentioning other gymmies' skills (generally ones she hasn't gotten yet)
DD7 often isn't specific ("Everything was fun!") but DD9 is a motor mouth and and tends to give play-by-play of the whole practice, including what skills/drills each person in her practice group was working on today lol.

What, apart from NO! :rolleyes:

Lol - yep- got a variety of different shades of this one....." I thought Sunday was a rest day"....( Dd trains 6 days & seems to think Sunday is the perfect day to practise wolf turns/ handstands/etc etc)

"I don't think ice- cream/ chips/ whatever -junk food -DS -is -looking -at is ideal after practice food.....( DS is doing the boy growing thing.)

And Dd tells me "no" when I want to buy her another leotard :eek::(;)

"Work hard and have fun!"

Yes this is our mantra!! Always, always say " have fun, work hard, love you as they leave the car.... And actually with Ds usually add " have you got everything?!!"

We do the 3 positives over here too..these days it is not really necessary...she gets in the car and chats away, sharing the positive first.. I have worked hard to have positive discussed first. She actually loves spewing out the daily practice details, it seems like it is almost therapeutic for her.:) But when she gets to the age where she might not want to share the practice news with me, this is fine also....as long as she tells me those 3 things....figure lay the groundwork now while it is easy, so it becomes ingrained!

This is so Dd- always loved to chat about practice and doesn't really need reminding about the 3 positives but I find it good to remind her as she is such a perfectionist & if she's freaking out ( doesn't happen often) it's usually about her frustration as something tricky is not quite happening on Dds timeline :rolleyes:
Ds takes his cues from Dd & at this stage still talks (11) but assume he'll soon follow his older brothers down into the adolescent walls of silence ( thankfully both older brothers have now emerged/ are emerging as people- that -talk on the other side of the teenage thing lol)

Not sure when/ if Dd will stop discussing practice- she's now a junior and still chats away- even if most of her discussions are completely over my head!!

Mine hates to chat. Now I ask her what everyone else is doing. Did Suzy get her squat on. How is so and so twists doing. So who did their suks today. So who stepped out today and why. Every once in a while she will add in something she did.

Have fun, work hard, love you

This is what I say every single time. To which DD usually replies, "gym isn't fun, it's work." Before anyone gets concerned, though, she absolutely loves it. She just takes practice very seriously....lol.

Lol it doesn't seem to matter where I'm dropping my kids off to I say a cheery 'Have Fun' as they get out of the car/walk out of the door.
I do sometimes then cringe as they are off to work/an exam etc.
it's such a habit.
Oh well guess they could find everything they do fun.
But probably they are rolling their eyes and going seriously mum!!

have fun! and, i love you.
mine isn't a talker but is getting better. if she's excited about something she'll tell me after practice. but i really want this to be fun for her. we aren't going to the olympics, she may or may not last until college (she's only 9) so it needs to be fun. yes, it's hard work, but it's better if it's fun.

I also tell my DD to trust the process. Another that I frequently use when she has lost skills is "I hate it when skills go missing" followed by a comment about how the good news is that she's done it before and will do it again. I also often comment how hard it is to have a practice and be 4 for 4 on each event. This is a transition to talking about what did go right that night. My tone when I'm talking about whatever skill is missing is one of annoying amusement. I keep hoping that if I model this enough it may stick and she will not be so dang hard on herself...baby steps...

My tone when I'm talking about whatever skill is missing is one of annoying amusement. I keep hoping that if I model this enough it may stick and she will not be so dang hard on herself...baby steps...

With missing skills we always joke about a lost skill box where all the lost skills go until they are pulled out again... Dd's always hoping one of Simone's lost skills might be lingering waiting for Dd to pull out lol -& then I remind her level ones lose skills too:cool:

And yes - so hearing you on the not being so hard on themselves!! Guess keeping humour in there helps a bit:)

Before practice it's "work hard and have fun" after practice it's "what's the best thing you did today?"

And that's it. I don't ask about specific skills, or ask how she can improve, that's the coach's job. I only care about what she's proud of, and that ends up being what I'm proud of too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back