Just need a vent and advice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I am 15 and train 12 hours a week. I have been struggling in the gym with heel pain, I have gotten x rays and a bone scan amd nothing has showed up, I was diagnosed with calcaneal apophisitis (also known as severs disease). I have taken the last 3 weeks off due to it and am taking off the summer for it also, my coach isn't too happy with this and says that I need too summer train even if its just for bars. But my mom and another coach at my gym agree that I should rest and so do I. I have gotten to the where I don't even know if I want to go back next year, I love gymnastics and think I would did without it. But I don't want to have to suffer through the pain. And because I know I only got a few years left to compete it makes me want to keep going but at the same time wonder what the point is any more. I love my gym and all my coaches, we are all so close as a gym and have so much fun, but I can't decide. Also my three close friends are all quitting this year, two of which I have been with since the first day of pre competitive (8 years). I know people move on, but I done feel like my gymnastics can be over. I love it too much. As well next year I would nge the oldest by 2 years, only one hotel that age then everyone else at least 4 years younger. I just cant decide what to do, and on top of all that I have 4 finals next week.I know this was kind if scattered, and confusing. But any advise?

I think you need to have a long hard think about how you feel about gymnastics. To me I feel you really love it and if that is the case keep doing what you love. The question you need to ask yourself is are you there to do gymnastics for yourself or are you there because of your friends. Now if it is for yourself you shouldn't worry about being the oldest, however if it is because of the social aspect not so much gymnastics then maybe look into something that has people similar in age, maybe acro?

Good luck with it I am sure you will do what is right for you.

Injured kids take time off when needed and come back just fine...sometimes even better because they finally feel better. Severs, like any condition, will be worse for some kids than for others and some cases will not get better without rest. Physical therapy may also be useful for you. I think your mom and you know best. Having said that, you do want to make sure you stay flexible and maintain your strength. Even if you think you may quit the sport, keep fit in case you do want to go back after the summer. As to being the oldest, I think this time off may also be useful for you to decide if you want to stay with the sport or not. I hope you feel better soon!

I really love gymnastics, and an always the one working when my teaates are sitting around talking. I want to be back in september, but my coach wants me to summer train and says I can't take the summer off because summer training is required.however, I have already taken 3 weeks off and there hasnt been any improvements. I am getting orthodics made, icing, taking an anti inflammatory and continuing to rest. I don't know what to do and an getting frustrated already. I truely have no idea what I even want anymore.

It sounds like the girls quiting are making you rethink if you should be moving on. If you love it don't worry about what other are doing or think about you doing it.

Have you talked to your parents on this? I know at 15 you maynot think they understand but they really do and they will want to help you on this too. What does your Doctor say to do? That would be the big thing for me as a parent. I think from a parent point of view I would want you to go to gym if you love it over the summer and do what you can do without putting excessive strain on your heels. It might just mean conditioning, bars without landing, stretching etc but it will keep you in shape so you don't loose skills. A summer off usually means coming back to some skills lost.

Keep in mind too there are ALOT of other sports out there at 15 I bet there might even be a few at school that interest you that you have always wanted to try out. This might be your chance to give something else a try if you think you won't go back.

The one thing that piques my interest is why you have already decided to take the whole summer off. Maybe if you really wanted to stay in gymnastics you would consider that you may want or need to take the whole summer, or you may be ready to come back part time or full time before September. You will also have had some time without gymnastics in your life after a few weeks, so you will have an idea of what that is like and whether it is what you want. To have already decided on the entire summer might indicate something to you about your inner feelings. You seem conflicted on several levels.

you can get thru this rough patch. the essence of life is before you. keep training. imagine where you're bars will be in a couple of months. bars is always the monster that must be slayed.:)

my doctor wants me to rest for the summer, I am going to see an ortho next week which was recommended by my doctor, we wil see how that hours. I'm at the point where I don't even know what I want, I don't have intrest in any other sports I love gymnastics but am just confused. If I feel better in august then I will go back for a bit in auguust, but am for sure taking july off as there has been no improvement in 3 weeks. My other concern is what will happen in september if I decide to take the whole summer off because my coach doesn't want me too anf days its tattooed to come anf train. To add, if I could go train in the summer pain free I think I would fall in love all ovet again anf be just as happy as last year, but that doesn't seem like that's an option at this point.Right now I am just doing a, little conditioning and stretching that doesn't hurt my foot as well as light cardio like biking or swimming. I went to physio but all that was getting done was massage on my calfs to loosen them up so I an now just going for massage in stead.I an supposed to see a sports injury person but we are having a hard time finding one near near my house. There is one that my sister went to anf mu coach used to go to, but he was anti gymnastics anf told you to find a different sport.

I really think you should follow your doctor's advice. Especially since the 3 weeks off did not give you any relief. Sometimes inflammation gets so bad that it takes a long time to calm it back down, and until that inflammation goes away you will be in pain (and then causing more inflammation.) Every case is different so please do not listen to anyone who tells you, "My child/athlete had it and was able to work through the pain." You probably have a more severe case of Severs. Also, which anti-inflammatory are you on? For this type of condition, Advil often works better than Motrin. Please discuss this with your doctor though before making a change. Good luck to you...it will all work out!

Follow the DR's advice and get a letter from the doctor to give to your coach so they know that yes the DR says NO.
For heal pain we have found Advil or Alieve work better.

Good luck in what ever your decision will be.

For heal pain we have found Advil or Alieve work better..

Oops, I wrote Advil (which is ibuprofen--same drug as Motrin) on my post but I meant Aleve (naproxen sodium). Aleve is an especially good choice for younger bodies as it stays in the system longer so the anti-inflammatory medicine can do it's job. Again, check with your doctor before making a switch.

Oops, I wrote Advil (which is ibuprofen--same drug as Motrin) on my post but I meant Aleve (naproxen sodium). Aleve is an especially good choice for younger bodies as it stays in the system longer so the anti-inflammatory medicine can do it's job. Again, check with your doctor before making a switch.

I still like advil better than tylenol and motrin. but the Aleve is really great for foot pain. I have weakened ankles from injuries over the past year and that aleve is a god send.

I still like advil better than tylenol and motrin. but the Aleve is really great for foot pain. I have weakened ankles from injuries over the past year and that aleve is a god send.

I have never taken Motrin here, Advil seems to be more popular here than motrin.
I was taking Advil for a week for two, but switched to Aleve because I would keep forgetting to take the Advil at school and stuff. So I take Aleve twice a day as the doctor suggested to keep the inflammation on my heel down (there is a bump on the side) but I don't really notice a difference in pain level.
Still confused but trying to think alot about it. When I think about quitting I get really sad, so I think that its a sign that I want to stay. I will keep thinking and try and decide what is best for me.
Thanks for all the advice!

My DD had several bouts of Severs. Her sports medicine physician said not to stop training because you can lose 10% of your strength for every week you are not working out. Severs is largely caused by a period of rapid growth and will subside quickly. Her doctor recommended tendon stretches which she did every night. She never had to take a day off of gym because of it, she just worked what she could (bars) and tumbled on the rod floor and tumble track.

I understand that some people can atoll go to the gym and workout but my doctor wants me to take a break, I think its a more severe case because my heel hurts just sitting down and gets super painful just to walk. After like 10 minutes of walking I can't walk anymore because they hurt to much. I will see what the orthopedist says when I go next week. Right now there isn't any gym anyways because its over till summer. And it is not structured every week thing in our gym for the summer, we picj a minimum of weeks that is set.

Just a thought... I'm a little surprised your doctor recommended that you take time off at all. I had horrible Sever's (I know how much it hurts even just to walk sometimes. Sorry you have to go through it too!) and it's really not something that goes away from resting. It comes back every time you pound the floor. My coaches always told me that even though it causes a lot of pain, training wouldn't injure me further. Might be something to ask the doc about. It seems like the issue goes further than that for you, though. Everyone has given good advice. Sit down and really think about what you want to do. It's a big decision that you should make for yourself with the help of your family. Good luck!

One of my gymnasts was just diagnosed with Sever's, & she seems to be hurting a lot. If you're feeling like she does right now, you have my sympathy.

I'd never presume to know what you are thinking, but I know when i got hurt I tried to talk myself into "retiring" because then it felt like a choice, whereas injuring oneself out of a sport isn't so much on your own terms. That kind of feeling--especially when you still are in love with the sport--complicates things a whole lot.

Best of luck.

I was told to take a break because it is so painful that it hurts even just sitting. I haven't tried running or jumping at all because it becomes so unbearable that I can barely walk. Even though doing exercise may not worsen the condition I'm guessing it would make it take longer to heal. I'm kind of glad that he suggested that I take a little break because even though I can't decide whether I am quitting or not, I feel like if I was in pain and forced to train with it I would loose my love for the sport completely.
I have been talking to the HC through emails, and she is now on board that the doctor says I need to rest. She has made me a conditioning program to do at home to stay in shape, and hopes to see me back in August if I am feeling better. She now understands that I need time to recover and it will take a while. I'm hoping for some solutions from the orthopedist and for my orthotics when I get them to help quickly.
Taking all this time off has made me realize that even through the tough times with friends leaving that I love the sport and I have realized how much it means to me. Without gym I have been on my hands all the time, because I miss it (at least I am on my hands and taking the pressure off my feet :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back