Parents Just need to share with someone who would understand...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been trying to respond in this thread since yesterday and I keep getting booted out!

I see tons of people have weighed in w/my same opinion, so I won't try to rehash that.

I just wonder if anyone of you have looked at the most recent issue of USA Gymnastics on the page where it listed the number of competitive gymnasts at each level for the last year? Notice the drop off rates w/each level??

I bet those Level 4's who practice 28 hours/week, and any other gym who requires such practice at such young levels, will burn those girls out really quickly!

-Lynn

I second that!

3rd that. 70% dropout rate by age 12? Gee...can't imagine WHY!!

28 hours a week for L4 isn't about training. That's about the GYM charging mandatory tuition rates, plain and simple.

AFAIC, and L4 should be about 8 hours a week - or LESS. There is only SO much they can do!! Gym should be PART of thier young life - not ALL of thier young life.

They're going to get bored if it's not kept fun and engauging! Said it before, i'll say it again. The fundamental training architecture for USAG Gymnastics is flawed. I believe we loose more could-be-great athletes to boredom and burnout then to any other reason. The solution... push more and more though the same flawed program hoping the increased numbers with stabilize the 'planned' losses.

Last edited:
That's an insane amount of hours for 7 and 8 yr olds although my crazy little monkey would love to spend that much time in the gym!

M23K

It was written on their gyms website directly. We heard it as a lot of hours but never imagined it was that many.

I would like to see that website.

Are you sure it is not a combination of gym school hours and practice hours?

If not yes I would consider calling DFACS if 7 year olds were being regularly group trained 28 hours a week. I would do a little more research to make sure I wasn't going off half-cocked, but that sounds dangerous.

Just sent you a private message

I would like to see that website.

Are you sure it is not a combination of gym school hours and practice hours?

If not yes I would consider calling DFACS if 7 year olds were being regularly group trained 28 hours a week. I would do a little more research to make sure I wasn't going off half-cocked, but that sounds dangerous.

I sent the link to your private message box. I didn't think it would be appropriate to post it here since it is not my DD's gym.

That's an insane amount of hours for 7 and 8 yr olds although my crazy little monkey would love to spend that much time in the gym!

Gymmonkeymomma,

It is down south, and they sure must be serious about their gymnastics! I mean we've heard of a couple "serious" gyms (and we're not) but even they don't seem top come close to this one on hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back