Parents Just venting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Momofcc

Proud Parent
Just need to vent.... Daughter who's 7 has been practicing and finally got her pullover on the bar last week. She was soooo excited to show the HC tonight. Right when she got there she went over and asked him if she could show him what she can do on the bar, he said after you warm up (good idea) so she did, but then her class started and he went to his group to work with them. So after class she asked him again and he told her " you should of told me to look when you where on it" Well thats like the worst time because he is busy spotting girls and needs to focus on them. I am like really? you cant take 2 min after class to watch her? UGH! ok got that off my chest, need to let it go and move on. Thanks for lending a ear =)

Super frustrating....maybe bring it to his attention if you feel there is a good time, in a cool, calm way. Simply just bringing awareness to the situation could be a great reminder for him that just one moment can be all the difference to a learning athlete! He has so many gymnasts on hand, I would imagine it was just a time issue or something with him that day, hopefully.

I disagree. Definitely do NOT bring it up to HC. Sure, he should be there with positive reinforcement and encouragement when a kiddo gets a new skill. But seriously, in the grand scheme of things, this is really minor. If you run to him with this, you run the risk of being *that* parent. Save the meetings for when she is older/more advanced and there are more serious issues that actually need to be addressed.

That being said, I appreciate your vent. It is valid. And that is why this forum is so great. Get it out here. Let us support you (and dd! Great job for getting that skill!) and that will make it easier for you to let it go at the gym. :)

he might have done that on purpose...it's called holding out the sugar cube. AND i can pretty much guarantee you that he saw it. understand? :)

^^^ Yep. Do this almost every day. "You did it? Show me again. What, I missed it again?! Guess you're going to have to do it again. I missed it again?! Guess you'll have to show me on bars tomorrow!" :)

1 of the better tricks of the trade. LOL> as some of us understand.:)

How I wish that was the case, I would totally be ok with that and understand that, but his back was to her the entire time, 100% he didnt see her. Oh well. =)

he could have asked 1 of the girls in the group he was coaching to look over for him so as not to have your daughter see his eyes straight away. don't rule it out.:)

It is what it is =)

DisMom, Thank you so much for the support, your right in the grand scheme of things its not worth it, DD is only a L2 and in the many yrs to come more important things will come up. This HC is old 75 and set in his ways and doesnt have much time for the beginners, but it is what it is. So I highly doubt we will be staying at this gym once she has a few more skills under her belt. DD goes to two different places because each concentrate on different goals but together its a great combo, and she loves both places. Right now its about learning skills having fun doing it =) She adores this HC :confused::).

he could have asked 1 of the girls in the group he was coaching to look over for him so as not to have your daughter see his eyes straight away. don't rule it out.:)

The only reason I know he didnt see her is because she only got one turn on the bar (lots of kids and lack of time) and he was blocking my view facing me lol so I know he didnt, but we have seen her do it and thats what really matters and her private coach seen it and prasied her so she is content. =)

How about next time, have her regular coach do a quick shout out to the HC when your dd is on bars next time. They used to do this with my dd at her old gym. When one of the girls on pre-team got a new skill, their coach would get the head coaches attention and she'd watch real quick. I will say though, I didn't notice her doing the same for all the rec classes. They really do have a lot to do, and a lot of kids to watch over. I'm amazed sometimes, at how much the coaches see, it's like they have eyes in the back of their head! I'd cut him a little slack and tell your dd that she can try to show him next time and to keep practicing so it looks perfect when he watches her :)

I am convinced that coaches have eyes in the back of their heads though cause they sure seem to know what is going on in the whole gym regardless of where they are at the moment:)

our GO is old, but thankfully he loves the little ones..
it's weird, i guess my dd likes recognition, but she has never specifically mentioned that she couldn't wait to show this coach or that coach any specific skill, maybe she figures they'll see it eventually and be surpised by it, idk maybe she's just humble, ha.. there's a lot of, "coach, look" at our gym.. i love how coaches can hear that.. finish what they are doing then remember to watch the kiddo who called them.. it's a bummer for ur dd, but .. he'll see it (if he hasn't already).. and when he does it's gonna be an even prettier more fluid looking pullover!! :)

DD goes to two different places because each concentrate on different goals but together its a great combo, and she loves both places. Right now its about learning skills having fun doing it =) She adores this HC :confused::).

it is typically not a good thing to have a child in two different gymnastics programs. Especially once they are beyond forward rolls, backward rolls, etc. different coaches teach skills with differing techniques and it can confuse the child and make the job of both coaches more difficult.

That stinks and I totally get where you are coming from, we have one coach like that, he acts like he is burned out an that its time for him to retire, might be the case with your HC. At least she is getting recognition from her private coach and I bet that means even more to her. Far as the two gyms I think its ok in the beginning like you said, you are thinking of dropping the "grumpy" HC gym anyways at some point. she is just beginning and the more skills she is introduced to the better, she has lots of time to perfect them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back