Just wanted to share...Running Man anyone???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

With all the talk of uptraining and people sharing their stories, I am pleased to share my story now as well. DD said that her team will start to train Level A optionals skills (equivelant to USAG lv 5) in February!!! She is very excited and has a new excitement for beam (which was her least favorite event until just recenty). Her coach made up a mount for her and told her a few skills that she can use so now dd has started putting it all together and has added a few moves herself. LOL--dd wants to put in the "running man" in her beam routine :cool: (god bless her) so we will see what happens with that!!! She can be really creative and motivated when she wants to be!! The good thing about MDL is that optionals start right after level 4 so she gets to start creating her own routines at a Level A (Lv 5) instead of having to wait for USAG Level 7. Whooo hoo!!! She has such a spunky personality (you can definitely tell she was a cheerleader for 3 yrs :D) so the optionals should be so much fun for her!! She still will be competing Lvl 4 all this season until May and she is looking forward to her first real competition On Jan 3/4. I'll keep you all posted on her first meet in about a month. Thanks for letting me share!!

Our gym owners came from Maryland where they had the MDL. Of course, I don't think any gyms in Virginia (... I don't get that at all!), participate in the MDL.... that would be so wonderful for those girls are are NOT on track to become L10's due to "aging" or whatever. I wonder how that differs from Prep Optional? Doesn't matter, since our gym doesn't do that either!

-Lynn

That is soooo exciting for your DD, MDGymMom!:) Getting their own routines really let's their personality show through & it really motivates them too! That's great that she can do that sooner in the MDL. I've read a little about MDL, maybe they were your posts? But it does sound like a very interesting option! Wish they had it around us! Good luck to your DD! I'm sure she's gonna love it! Plus, she'll clean up with all that cheerleader personality shining through:D! I don't want to sound too...ummm...unbright. But what is "running man":confused:. Is it running in place????

Oh that sounds like so much fun, I bet she can't wait to create!!! I lnow my girls love making up their beam routines, sometimes the coach does step in a nix the odd too wierd thing. But it is true about the personality thing, a great piece of music can really help them to shine through.

I don't want to sound too...ummm...unbright. But what is "running man":confused:. Is it running in place????

Yes!! That is exatly what it is--it's kinda hip-hop dance-ish...remember back in the early 90's and Vanilla Ice with his Ice Ice Baby video??? Kinda like that...

:eek:Oooooh! Thanks! I don't know what I was doing in the early '90's. Probably working 24/7,LOL! I was heavily into my career back then, prior to kids;). I know I've heard of Vanilla Ice...but I never saw the video. Have I missed an import '90's moment:confused:????

LOL!! Yes Vanilla Ice was a 90's icon!!! I will have to find the video and post it here when I get home--no Youtube at work :-(.

That is so awesome - she is going to have so much fun with that - all that personality will really come through in her routines :D If she ends up with something really fun and funky in her beam routine you better video tape it and share with us !!!!!

How fun! Great news for her, tell her we can't wait to see some vids of her routines! Nice to have something 'new' to spark their interest, they seem to need it from time to time! :)

:laughing:Thanks for the link! Gotta love his hair!!! That video is just tooooo much!:rotfl:Can't wait for DD to get home from practice, so I can show her a little part of history:rolleyes:! But seriously... the moves were pretty cool! Can't wait to see what your DD comes up with for her routines:D!
Here ya go Gymjourneymom--this is for you...Vanilla Ice-Ice Ice Baby:

YouTube - Vanilla Ice-Ice Ice Baby

I'm sure our dd's are gonna be laughing at this!!!!

Watch for the moon walk, too, thanks to Nikki Childs! She has graduated from UGA now but has passed on the beam moon walk to another gymnast. DD has been practicing that since Sunday and "plans" to put it into her beam routine, too. :D

Yeah, I did see that moon walk in Nikki's routine on youtube somewhere!!! LOL--yeah I think the hardest thing about dd leaving cheer is that she really got to express herself out on the floor and in the air when she did stunts (she was a bit of a diva to say the least :D) and with gymnastics it is a bit more reserved. Thankfully, the coaches know her personality and spunkiness and are going to incorporate that into her routines for optionals next year. Once a cheerleader, always a cheerleader, I guess!!

I think it's great that your DD's personality will shine through & that her coach will work with her to let that happen:) It gets a little boring(even at optional meets), watching the girls being so serious & "proper". Some girls have trouble making eye contact & smiling...it's like they are in a world of their own. When a girl comes on with a unique routine & brings it to life with personality...everyone turns their heads to watch that event! Can't wait to see what your DD comes up with!!!:D

Last edited:
I don't get how you can do any of those moves on a BEAM! I can't wait to see that.

I think it's great that your DD's personality will shine through & that her coach will work with her to let that happen:) It gets a little boring(even at optional meets), watching the girls being so serious & "proper". Some girls have trouble making eye contact & smiling...it's like they are in a world of there own. When a girl comes on with a unique routine & brings it to life with personality...everyone turns their heads to watch that event! Can't wait to see what your DD comes up with!!!:D

Thanks Gymjourneymom!!! I can't wait either! Whenever I stay to watch dd practice (usually towards the end) they are always on beam and I can tell whenever dd is up because she is the kid who is dancing and doing her cheer dance up on the beam!!!

And gymnut--It's funny, cause she is not afraid to let loose and act all silly and dance up and down the beam like it is nothing, but then when she has to do her kickup handstand she is hesitant. I guess it takes some time to "lose" that cheerleader attitude! It always reminds me of Wei Wei's beam routine in Stick It! I can so see dd putting together a routine like that!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back