Just wondering...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been bored lately, so I've been looking up lots of cool gymnastics skills, and I was wondering what levels each of these skills are allowed in...

Bars:
~Hect
~Double back tuck
~Full twisting layout
~Release moves (Jaeger, Counter Kim, Tkatchev, Geinger, etc.)
~Pak salto
~Clear hip handstand
~Front giants

Beam:
~Back tuck
~Back handspring back aerial
~Back handspring back aerial back aerial
~Round off layout dismount
~Switch leap
~Front/side aerial
~Straddle jump (cross and side)

Floor:
~Full twisting layout
~1/2 layout front tuck
~Handspring layout front tuck
~Switch side straddle jump
~Double and Triple full turns

Vault:
~Yurchenko

Thanks for any answers! I'm just curious, because all of these skills seem very interesting and fun to perform and I'd like to know how long I have to wait :)

Thanks!

-Lauren

Level 8:
Vault:
Yurchenko

Bars:
Clear hip hs
Flyaway 1/1 might be allowed, not sure on that one.

Beam:
RO-layout dismount
Switch leap

Floor:
Layout 1/1
Layout 1/2+front tuck
HS+layout+front tuck
2/1 turn

In level 9 you can do a max of 1 D/E skill for C credit. So that sums up the rest of the skills you have listed. It's not common to see single bar releases in level 9.

Flyaway 1/1 is a B - okay in L8.

So is straddle jump in cross position (facing the end of the beam), that was downgraded. Straddle 1/4 to land facing side and side straddle jump are Cs. C dance is allowable anyway though. The difficulty restrictions are on acro skills. You could do most of the floor stuff in L7, it's just not common because it would get more deductions than it would be worth. None of the tumbling is above a B. Fulls aren't unheard in L7, RO layout dismount on beam definitely, I've seen 1/1 flyaways too but not that often because it doesn't make sense to train vs double backs if the kid is ready to progress. I had to have a clear hip handstand in L7. That is common and it's an allowed C. Clear hip handstand into high bar part is somewhat common. Eliminates some extra skills from the routine.

Another comment on the flyaway 1/1 (or any other harder dismount in level 8)- At that level, judges would rather see you do a layout flyaway really well than a mediocre flyaway 1/1. A girl from the gym I coach at worked and worked on a toe-on front dismount for level 8 and the judges were really harsh when she had problems with it because there was a better option. I'm not sure if that made sense, but sometimes simpler is better until you get the basics down really well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back