Kadee has been picked for team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
okay...you all read my other post...and know that i am verbally chalenged when it comes to gymnastics terms....so just stay with me...ill get us through this..lmao

we just moved to Hot Springs Arkanas from Fort Smith, Ar....Kadee (my dd who just turned 4 on the 11th of this month) did her very first day of gymnastics at the gym here in HS....after just that one time of them seeing her...the coach comes over...and hands me a team booklet...describing all the details...about everything..practices...team apperal....competitions...rules...yadda yadda yadda...then procedes to tell me that in about 4 months when they start training for team comp. they want her on their level 2 team....they have her and another girl who is 5 1/2 yrs old (and has the longest thickest hair i have EVER seen in my life...okay..getting off track)...working with 2 coaches prepping them for team.....they are doing a one on one tag team...lmao...anywho...they said they are getting to the end of this years comp season...so they dont want to throw her in there now....but they want her on the team in 4 to 5 months.

im just blown away...my baby girl who JUST turned 4 and they have only seen for 1 hr in her entire life...they were impressed enough with her that they want her to compete for them.

its exciting...but scary too...you know?

i just hope that she continues to find it fun...and it doesnt become a "job" or whatnot to her now.

im behind her 100% where ever this may take her in life...and ill back her to the umpteenth degree on it....but if and when that day comes where she says enough...ill back her on that too.

okay...anywho..im getting off of here..its late..and im tired

Level 2 "team" is basically a preteam system but just a little more focused. See how she does it and if she likes it, continue from there.:)

i just hope she doesnt get discougraged by it being so much "work" and not so much "play"....aka..no happy songs sang while stretching or cool down...things like that....she is a work horse on her own...she pushes herself....and will keep working one skill until she gets it good enough in her own mind (doesnt matter if the coaches are saying its good enough for her "age"....she has a tendancy to rush through the parts on each apperatus that she knows well....(still doing them to her best ability)...so that she can get back around to the part that she thinks she needs to work on.

i just hope that she is able to take a coach possibly critizing her on a certain element....that isnt up to snuff...i also hope that as the youngest on the team (there is a girl that is 4 now on the team..but by next comp season she will be 5.) that she doesnt get discouraged that they are all mostly better than her....she has to understand..the girls are older...have better body control...and have all been on the team at least one season alreay (all except the girl she is prepping with now)....we shall see.....like i said..i just hope it doesnt take the "fun" out of it for her cause she really loves the sport...if it seems like she is unhappy....i will pull her from it..and maybe try again when she is more mentaly prepared to handle a team comp level....i know the skill arent anything massive...its not the skills i worry about....its her mental well being and weather she can handle the more intense workouts with the no bs practices...and that she probably wont win much if any at the comps the first season...i just dont want it to mess with her mentaly you know...thats all

That's great! Congrats to your daughter! My daughter sounds like she's in exactly the same boat as yours. Mine will be 4 in October and her current gym wants to put her on their pre-team starting in October...but we're moving out of state. The gym we're pretty sure we'll be going to once we move wants to evaluate her and then it sounds like they're going to put her in a 4-6 age group that's mostly level 2-3 kids. (I don't think they start competing until level 4.) Anyhow, congrats to your daughter! It's great to see someone on here in a similar situation. I might PM you sometime! :D

sounds like you have a talented little one on your hands.
My DD started level 2 at age 4 also...we have 4 little girls on our team 5 and under and they are the best of friends. I am always surprised at how hard they do actually work.

Our gym does shortened hours for the young gymmies...which I hope will help with avoiding burnout!

Hope she has a blast!:)

Well a big congrats to your dd!! It sure does sound like you have a very talented little gymmie in your hands!

My dd moved to development/preteam right when she turned 4 yo and competed L2 at 4.5 years old. I too worried about her mental well being and the "pressure" she may internalize by her coaches. But now a year and half later I can say it was a positive experience for her. She loved performing for everyone and I believe competing really gave her her love of the sport. I think she realized the "bigger" picture...putting on a show! And in my dd's case she loves performing and the bigger the crowd the better! She is now 6yo and competing level 4 in a couple weeks. I am a nervous wreck but she is cool calm and collective.

I would watch her closely at practice and look for sign of unhappiness or frustration. It was my experience that when Liv finished her class the tears and whining would start. Intially I thought she was not happy with gym but when I stayed and watch she was just a happy little kid doing what she loves and that she was just overly tired when class was over.

I wish you and your dd the best of luck. It is a very exciting time!! Hold on to your pocket books too because it gets really expensive real quick. Keep us posted on her progress...:)

Congrats to Kadee! A huge honor. We don't compete until level 4, so I don't know much about level 2, but i hope she has a great time!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back