WAG Kara Eaker's beam at Worlds

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ginger

Proud Parent
So it looks like Kara (surprisingly) didn't qualify for EF.
What confuses me is her difficulty score.
Her beam routine today
(D 5.4)
I compared it to this routine (with difficulty explained)
(D 6.8)
So I can see she took out her only E today and with that, she also lost that 0.1 connection. But I still counted 8 D elements , so it's 3.2, then 2.0 on composition requirements and even if she didn't get credit for some of her other connections, the 5.4 final difficulty score still seems awfully low to me.
What am I missing? Can anyone explain?

1) She would have qualified if they had not submitted an inquiry.

2) Her ring positions have never been great and shouldn’t have been credited a lot of the time. Her D relies too much on those.

Thanks. Makes sense.
"Her ring positions have never been great and shouldn’t have been credited a lot of the time" I agree 100%. I guess I was just surprised they finally took it seriously. Her coach was probably surprised too, hence the inquiry.
(I didn't know about the inquiry till now, thanks for the info. I also checked Balance Beam Situation and it says they lowered her score by 0.4 after the inquiry. Oh well...)
But I still feel bad for Kara.

I know absolutely nothing, but I read on Twitter that the judges decided to actually care if you hit the right ring positions today and that was why.
If it is a public Twitter account, can you please post the link where is it discussed? TIA

There are several where it's mentioned. Nothing official. If you just search Kara Eaker, you'll see at least one pop up at the top.

Thanks. Makes sense.
"Her ring positions have never been great and shouldn’t have been credited a lot of the time" I agree 100%. I guess I was just surprised they finally took it seriously. Her coach was probably surprised too, hence the inquiry.
(I didn't know about the inquiry till now, thanks for the info. I also checked Balance Beam Situation and it says they lowered her score by 0.4 after the inquiry. Oh well...)
But I still feel bad for Kara.
Oh I also feel bad for her. She is a victim of both poor routine construction and her coaches egoism.

US gymnasts also suffer from generous domestic scoring and paying of skills/connections at times - Sacramone competed a floor routine at without a proper passage of dance on floor at one worlds that went un-noticed all year domestically. co-gym owner was also head floor judge at Nationals which arguably helped her win over another great floor worker without the name, but it hurt Sacramone in the long run. It has been pointed out that Mykayla Skinner had a 14.4 on beam at the recent trials when internationally not many gymnasts are going above 14. Did she actually hit all her connections and had some split miraculously or lenient judging. Inaccurate home scoring means you have gymnasts who look good on paper but will never score like that under international judges who do not have blinders on or any reason to help certain gymnasts.

Gage has traditionally had poor sheep/ring positions and poor composition, not a good mix under the current code where this can be penalized heavily.

Does anyone know what role the robot judging played in all this? I read before the competition that it was meant to be used for officially confirming D scores, but is it only used when there is an enquiry? You’d have to be REALLY confident of your moves, I would think, to take on a robot judge!

I feel so badly for Kara, she was qualified and then was out. Inquiries should only be used where there is going to be a pronounced changed in the result. As in she was in 9th place in a qualifier. I cannot even imagine how she is feeling.

Her ring leaps are weak, at some point she was going to get stung by them, the American judging just rewards and does not address fixes needed.

Nobody was getting 15's, that alone should be a clue to the over generous scoring at home based meets. Though I do believe this happens in many countries.

I thought they were only using the robot on vault?

Oh were they! I did not know how much it was being used. Twitter (which is my sole source of info on worlds as we have had no broadcast here yet) reported that the panels were accepting more enquiries than they usually tend to, and that they really were not going gymnasts’ ways as much as expected. This got me wondering about the computer.

Brooklyn Moors also lost her place in a final (floor) due to a lowered score after an enquiry, but she only lost 0.1.

What am I missing? Can anyone explain?
They devaluated her switch ring to a switch leap (righfully so), which means her second switch leap wasn't credited because she already had one, so she lost her leap serie.
Totally the coach's and the fed's fault, her routine has really bad composition. She should do the leap serie first, so that if the rings got invalidated, she at least gets the leap serie requirement.
I'm a bit baffled that this hasn't been adressed. I mean, even at my (very bad, around JO level 6) level, we make sure to do the leap serie early and to have a back-up serie in case there is a problem, so I can't imagine noone at Gage or USA Gym ever noticed it...

Here is what she was credited for :
Switch leap mount + Split Leap (devaluated) D + B
Y Turn C
Front aerial + Ring jump + BHS : D + D + B + 0.4 CV
Side aerial + LOSO + LOSO D + C + C + 0.4 CV
Split Leap (no counted because repeated) + Side somi D
Switch leap (devaluated) C
Korbut flip B
Switch Leap (no counted because repeated) + Swich side : C
Roundoff + BHS + 2.5 Twist B + B + D 0,1

Final score : 3,0 + 0,9 + 1,5 = 5,4

I've seen a few comments on this on Twitter, but excuse my ignorance, what's wrong with her ring positions? (I'm obviously not a gymnast/coach!)

I've seen a few comments on this on Twitter, but excuse my ignorance, what's wrong with her ring positions? (I'm obviously not a gymnast/coach!)
It got invalidated because her back leg is below shoulder height (and very obviously so).
When/if she gets it credited, she should be penalised by the E panel for : lack of head release (0,1), back leg at shoulder heigh (0,3) and, sometimes, especially on the ring leap, lack of split (0,1).

Thanks for the thorough explanation.
So only 1.5 on composition? Why not 2.0? I see you mentioned leap series, so does it have to be D+D in order to get 2.0 CR?
You welcome.

Yeah, only 1,5 because she misses the leap serie requirement.

On beam, basically all you have to do is two leaps/jumps, both on the beam (so her first combo does not cut it because the mount is not entirely on the beam), one with a 180° split. So basically you can do sissone + wolf jump (A+A) and be fine. You can also do a harder serie if you feel like it, but most gymnast have a very easy serie somewhere in their routine so that they can mess up the hard skills/connection and still get the CR.
The thing is the only leap serie in her routine is the switch leap + switch side, which would normally be fine. Problem is, you can only do a skill once (there are some exceptions : two connected skills can be identical and you are also allowed two BHS and RO). If you do a skill twice, second one get invalidated : you get deductions on it but D-score-wise, it does not exist. Her switch ring got devaluated to a switch leap which means that by the time she does her leap serie, she already has a switch leap, so the second one does not get counted, which invalidates the whole serie, hence the missing CR.

It's an easy fix really : she only has to do the leap serie first and attempt the switch ring afterwards, so that if she messes up the ring, she loses DV for the switch ring but she keeps her CR.

@Carabistouille Thanks again!

And now I am curious what was taken out from her D after the inquiry. I think the D was 5.8 before and 5.4 after the inquiry, so 1.5 CR obviously was already in the original (good enough to qualify for EF) score.

Never mind. I just hope that for GAGE coaches, it was a wake up call just in time to fix it all before the olympics year.

And now I am curious what was taken out from her D after the inquiry. I think the D was 5.8 before and 5.4 after the inquiry, so 1.5 CR obviously was already in the original (good enough to qualify for EF) score.
It's the ring leap at the beginning, it got devaluated to a split leap : she loses 0,2 CV for the mount serie + 0,1 DV (she counts a C instead of a D) + 0,1 CV for the split leap - side somi serie (because she already has a split leap, the second one is invalidated).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back