Keeping it Real and Fun for Kids

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have noticed a lot of threads talking about their kids and their talents, increased hours in the gym and even rearranging their schedules to homeschool or not. One would think that these kids are in high school getting ready for making a college sports team. But, no--these kids are as young as 4, 5 and 6 years old. While there are very many talented gymmies here on CB and their talents should definitely be applauded, I wanted to start a thread on "Keeping It Real" and something for parents and coaches to refer to when the gymnastics gets to be a bit overwhelming. Sometimes we all need a dose of reality once in a while.

Here are some good articles that I found so far. Feel free to add any that you may come across.

Keeping kids in the game - Going for the Pros- msnbc.com

Pushing too hard too young - Going for the Pros- msnbc.com

Being a good sports parent - Going for the Pros- msnbc.com

Readers respond to "Going for the Pros" - Going for the Pros- msnbc.com

Parents for Good Sports

Last edited:
Excellent post.

In the long term, kids that are having fun are always better off. They'll stick with the sport longer, and a kid who's having fun will always work harder than one who isn't.

I agree...we all need to remember that gymnastics is just one part of who our kids are!:)

...and now it's a sticky. Just wait until Iggy sees it!

Great idea MD, the more informed the better, no matter what the decision ends up being.

MdGymMom, Thank you sooo much for this EXCELLENT post!!!! You are the voice of sanity! The links are very insightful! Since this sport can be almost cult like at times, I think reality check now & again is a good thing for all of us. Thanks for making it a sticky Bog! This is definitely sticky worthy information!:D

Very important! I really enjoyed some of those articles. I'm not a sports parent, but hopefully I will be someday.

...and now it's a sticky. Just wait until Iggy sees it!

Great idea MD, the more informed the better, no matter what the decision ends up being.

That was my first thought when I saw the sticky. LOL.

Great post MD!!!

Very, very important. Thank you for sharing.

All of these articles and videos should be "required viewing/reading material" for all parents with kids in sports of any kind.;)

In addition to that I have noticed a disturbing trend of parents bashing their kids on here for how they did at meets. Please remember they are just kids, they are probably not going to the olympics and they have access to the internet as well and the insults hurt. Try to focus on the good and leave the correcting to the coaches! Kids are under enough pressure without having to read all about how poor they did at a meet as well as knowing that their parent posted it for the world to see often with videos.

That's weird that you mention that aerialriver, because I noticed that too, but was hoping that I was just being overly sensitive and maybe reading into the posts too much. I guess not, since you mention it now.

I haven't read the articles(posts yet) But you ROCK!!!! I am a gym Mom and so far my daughter is loving the sport. She is seven (level4) and sarted 18 months ago in a recreational class. She gets an allowance (if she does her weekly chores around our house/farm) and pays for her own tuition (they call it that as she is considered team). I guess, what I am trying to say is in our house it is her decision. But, I see other Mom's pushing and living their dreams through their daughters. Lets face the facts here.......there are only what 11/12 girls on the national team and making it that far.........you need alot of talent and alot of luck. So lets all just have fun and enjoy the ride our daughters are take us along on :).

You are definitely tireless aren't you! All I can say is I can really sleep good at night knowing there are wonderful people like you that obviously care enough for children to be a dedicated advocate for them!! God bless you, seriously. Thank you!!:)

I am going to read them all. Keep them coming. This advice is not only to keep me sane about my own kids, but also to enlighten me about what my students could be experiencing as well. Again THANK YOU!!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back