Welcome to our Gymnastics Discussion Community
554,231 messages... 44,365 topics... and 6,612 members
Join for FREE!
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts & High 5 Meets!

Keeping legs straight on a BHS on Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

gymnafreak

Nov 29, 2008
Minn eee sooo ta! :)
I have done back handsprings on beam for like 7 years, and i have never been able to keep my legs straight. I can make them be fairly straight, but they are never straight. The back one is worse than the front. Anybody have any suggestions? Also, judges, what do you consider a straight leg in a BHS?
Thanks
:)

coachmolly

Coach
Former Gymnast
Jan 18, 2009
VA
Country
USA
It could be that you are not pushing through your feet/toes enough and so not getting a big enough jump. You could try to practice bhs up onto a folded panel mat to get a better feel for the action.

gymkat

Former Gymnast
Judge
Jun 24, 2008
I would consider a straight leg on a BHS to be, well, a leg that is fully extended immediately after jumping off the beam. Can you do them with straight legs on floor?

KyraGymnast

May 22, 2009
At the Gym!
I agree with coach molly :) i would do them up to a panel mat over and over again. I would also draw a line with chalk or make one with tape on the panel mat so you can keep your hand position right. After you've got that, move it to high beam!

gymnafreak

Nov 29, 2008
Minn eee sooo ta! :)
Somedays i can keep them straight on floor, but when i do them on the beam, i think i bend my legs to help balance myself. If my backhandspring is straight, then my legs don't bend as much, but the more crooked it is, the more i bend my legs, so i think there is some correlation.
I will work on doing them onto panel mats.

Status
Not open for further replies.