Keeping legs straight on a BHS on Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have done back handsprings on beam for like 7 years, and i have never been able to keep my legs straight. I can make them be fairly straight, but they are never straight. The back one is worse than the front. Anybody have any suggestions? Also, judges, what do you consider a straight leg in a BHS?
Thanks
:)

It could be that you are not pushing through your feet/toes enough and so not getting a big enough jump. You could try to practice bhs up onto a folded panel mat to get a better feel for the action.

I would consider a straight leg on a BHS to be, well, a leg that is fully extended immediately after jumping off the beam. Can you do them with straight legs on floor?

I agree with coach molly :) i would do them up to a panel mat over and over again. I would also draw a line with chalk or make one with tape on the panel mat so you can keep your hand position right. After you've got that, move it to high beam!

Somedays i can keep them straight on floor, but when i do them on the beam, i think i bend my legs to help balance myself. If my backhandspring is straight, then my legs don't bend as much, but the more crooked it is, the more i bend my legs, so i think there is some correlation.
I will work on doing them onto panel mats.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back