WAG Key exercises for maintaining gymnastics fitness outside of the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stargazer

Gymnast
I'm currently training 6 hours a week at open gym and things have been going well, but starting in January I'll be backpacking through Australia for six months and won't have access to a gym at all. I understand that I'll regress significantly but I want to minimize that as much as I can, and try to stay somewhat in gymnastics shape while I'm away. Does anyone have ideas for some exercises I can do (preferably with little or no equipment) that will help maintain important body positions and strength, including grip strength? I'll be working on farms and generally keeping my fitness levels high, but want to gear additional exercises towards gymnastics.

I'm thinking lots of planks, handstand holds, dips, and squat jumps so I can still do standing back tucks, plus stretching of course! Maybe if I get good enough at rock climbing before I leave then I'll progress to doing chin-ups on door frames and won't need a chin-up bar, because those won't be easy to find in hostels!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!! For reference I'm 23, Canadian Level 5/6 and strength-wise can do 10 chin-ups and a 20 ft rope climb without legs fairly easily, but can't do a press handstand to save my life.

but can't do a press handstand to save my life.
One thing that will greatly benefit you is working on press handstands. Do them against a wall wherever you are. Just be sure not to jump. Work on leaning over onto your hands and press as high as you can, even if you can't get to a handstand.

Thanks! It would be super cool to come back from vacation with a press handstand! It would definitely benefit my cast handstands on bars.

Auswi - I definitely plan on enjoying Australia, I can't wait to get there!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back