Kicked out of USAG at age 18?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Billy

A mom at the gym the other day told me that when a gymnast turns 18 they can no longer compete in USAG except at the elite level. Is this right??? I don't see how that can be as many high school seniors turn 18 during their senior year and hope to get college scholarships and they are not always elite gymnasts. Anyone know what's up with this?

There is no maximum age for the USAG JO levels. BUT there may be a maximum age limit on the National Team, perhaps this is what they were referring to...

Last edited:
That is interesting, I didn't know that. At our gym (we are rec) we used to have adult classes...it was so fun because there was this one lady that me friend and I ended up being friends with because she was always at Open Gym with us, and we helped her with skills, it was awesome!

National Team would be elites, though, wouldn't it? I'm talking about L9 or L10 girls, seniors in high school that have turned 18. It doesn't make sense for them to be unable to compete when they might still be vying for a scholarship. I think that mom was misinformed.

We have a girl at our gym, USAG, who is 21 and attending college, while competing level 8 for us.

As far as I know, there is no max age on the USAG jo levels... maybe the rule the OM is talking about is related to your own club, or she could be as you say misinformed.

The majority of colleges look at gymnasts (L9, 10's and sometimes L8's) in their JR year. At the end of high school it is probably not impossible, but more limited on receiveing NCAA scholarships. I have personally only heard of girls getting "walk-on" positions late into their SR year.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. I didn't think that could be right but what do I know? Anyway, I'm glad that's not the case.

My DD is nowhere near this yet (she's only 6) but she will also turn 18 early in her senior year. With the cost of college these days, a parent can always hope... LOL

That would be absolutly crazy, there should not be a maximum age limit a sport like gymnastics is for everyone. Here in Australia trampoline and tumble is very popular with alder gymnasts and there are gymnasts in their 60's and 70's competing. It's wonderful to see, gymnastics should be a life long pursuit, not just something they do as kids. It can and should be enjoyed at any age. Competing also can and should be an option at any age as it allows them to get even more from the sport.

There is a max age in USAG for men.

And unfortunately, there's very little competetive structure for male gymnasts over 18 in the US (other than elite).

There's definitely no max age for JO girls' program. Chari Hunter-Knight has competed at Level 10 Nationals like 12 times. I don't think there's a limit for the JO National team either.

I'm surprised there's an age limit for men. What is it? It's got to be more than 18 because I remember seeing a UW gymnast listed as competing at regionals this year. There's also a boy at my kids' gym who's graduating high school, but is going to continue competing JO next year even though he's starting college.

Reading the MAG USAG JO rules seems to say the program is for boys/men ages 5-18 yrs. The JR elite program is to 18yrs and the SR elite program there is no maximum.

JO overview
:: USA Gymnastics ::

Elite Program rules
:: USA Gymnastics ::

but then states the following (the aforementioned sounds discriminative to me personally) :

B. Participation

[FONT=Arial,Arial]
Any USA Gymnastics' activity or event should be open to any member properly qualified under the rules of that activity or event, and every member participating in a USA Gymnastics' activity or event has an obligation to participate to the best of their abilities. It is inconsistent with this obligation for any member to:
1. Restrict the ability of a member to qualify for or participate in competition because of the member's association with a particular organization or individual or because of that member's race, ***, creed, ***ual orientation, age, national origin or mental or physical disability.​
[/FONT]

I read the rules for the women and didn't see anything about a maximum age. I found all the stuff on minimum ages for the various levels but no max.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back