Parents Kiddo is driving me nuts :P

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Skye Fernandez

Proud Parent
My DD is now begging for private lessons. I think she got the idea from a girl she watches on youtube. I think I may have to stop letting her watch YouTube gymnasts :rolleyes: Just to humor her i talked to the coach about it. The coach let me know how expensive it was and she doesnt think DD needs it. That it's mostly for kids who are way older when they start. Shes still begging though. I agreed to take her to open gym more often though. Maybe that will take her mind off private lessons. ;) This girl. :p

I'm just curious, did she see a skill that she wants to learn? What is she trying to accomplish? Level 2 DD asked me for more gym time (she gets 4 hours/week). Coach told me that the only option is private lessons and that she doesn't need it. He gave me similar advice to what I’ve heard here. He said that it’s okay to leave her wanting more.

I think shes just wanting to move up as fast as possible. She gets 4 hours a week as well. Her gym offers open gym mon-Thurs for an hour a day. I normally take her once week to that.

Stop you tube. Really not the place to learn gymnastics

Has she said why she wants them or what she wants to do at a private? Ask her and then address those specifics.

Have the coach tell her that you requested privates but he/she is denying them since she doesn't need them. You get to be the good guy and the coach gets to coach.

That approach worked for me. I told my DD that her coach said that at this point there isn't any reason to do privates and that he's been very happy with how she's been progressing. He said he would let me know if he felt that privates would be helpful in the future. (I would let the coach know how you framed if for your DD)

i wish we had the options of privates but there is a strict no private rule at our gym. i did take her out of school once last month for a special 2 hour open gym on a half day. she was able to work on a lot in an empty gym. i was able to get the boys coach to come stand next to her to get a skill and she got it with no spotting. she just needed to have someone there as a mental spot. i think there is another 2 hour open gym coming up at the end of this month which we may sneak off to again. they sometimes do them on 1/2 school days at our town. it's beneficial if dd wants to work something out or get time on the floor to do her brand new floor routine. our coaches don't like open gyms b/c the kids "teach" themselves things but incorrectly and then the coaches have to fix it later on down the road.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back