Coaches Kids that only work for male/female coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Is this a common issue, or are kids in my gym just wierd?

We have three girls (one's 12, one's 9, one's 7) who are the hardest workers in the gym when they're with a male coach, and the biggest attitude cases with female coaches. I've never been able to figure out why.

And it's not just specific coaches; they'll work their butts off for any male coaches, and will roll their eyes and talk back to any female coach.

ok

that is so weird! those girls need to be talked to about their attitudes. Maybe they think they need to prove themselves to the guy coaches by saying look im strong too, boys aren't the only strong ones but that is just weird. I think you should talk to the girls and flat out ask them. Just ask, "Why are you guys so rude and disrespecting to your female coaches but such great gymnasts with your male coaches?" talk to their parents and their coaches together. That is still weird though...hope you find out because that is really bizarre! Good luck

I agree that the girls should be talked to. It isn't fair to the coaches who have to put up with the "dark side" of the girls work outs. I have seen this in my gym as well. Not only male/female coaches, but kids that will work HARD for a head coach, and goof around or act disrespectful to assistant coaches. Tough topic, but should be resolved.

I agree that the girls should be talked to. It isn't fair to the coaches who have to put up with the "dark side" of the girls work outs. I have seen this in my gym as well. Not only male/female coaches, but kids that will work HARD for a head coach, and goof around or act disrespectful to assistant coaches. Tough topic, but should be resolved.

We used to have that issue; kids who only worked for the head coach. I won't go into detail except to say it wasn't the kids' fault, it was the head coaches' fault.

FOrtunately that's not an issue anymore.

My first thought is that I don't know if it is male/female issue but a respect issue. My dd is 10 and she has had these issues. If she doesn't respect the coach she will not work for them. Just recently she seems to be more repectful to all the coaches. Also, I would bet that the 12 year old is the ring leader and the other two are following her lead.

This is a problem that the coaches should be able to resolve very easily. I don't put up with garbage. There will be respect...that's it.

The parents are paying a good amount for gymnastics. If the coaches cannot motivate the kids, what are they paying for? Kids are kids, respect needs to be taught. Also remember, respect goes both ways.

Also, I would bet that the 12 year old is the ring leader and the other two are following her lead.

I don't think that's the case: the three are never in the same group (the 9-year-old doesn't even work out at the same time as the 12- and 7- year olds).

KIds that work with male/ female coach

Seems to me to be respect and control issues. Respect does run both ways and coaches should have control. Since the girls do not work together I would suspect it is respect. If a coach is not strong and capable there is a loss of respect by the gymnasts. I realize that coaches are not there to be friends with the gymnast. They are also girls which accounts partly for their weird behavior just as boys have theirs! It is a good idea to involve the parents and perhaps some reasons will surface? perhaps it is time to implement discussions with staff and then the team in regards to the roles and positions of the gymnasts and staff. We (coaches) have or will run into this at some point to some degree. Some kids just think they can be selective but there is usually a reason for this behavior. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back