Parents Kip Frustration

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can suggest what I want, like me and everyone else on here is grown enough to make their own decisions.

Yep you can certainly suggest and do what you want.

And once you put something out there on a forum, there is a high probability it will get commented on. There is also a high probability there will be comments that agree. And also a high probability of comments that disagree. It is the nature of a forum.

There are different opinions on home equipment and practice. Coachp and many other folks around here have lots of experience in these things.

And its important to know the safety concerns as well as the implications of .............. "practice makes permanent" Bad gymnastics practiced badly takes longer to fix then good gymnastics practiced less frequently. So its important for folks visiting and reading here to know whats at stake and make informed decisions, when they decide they can do what they want with their kid. FWIW

Yep you can certainly suggest and do what you want.

And once you put something out there on a forum, there is a high probability it will get commented on. There is also a high probability there will be comments that agree. And also a high probability of comments that disagree. It is the nature of a forum.

There are different opinions on home equipment and practice. Coachp and many other folks around here have lots of experience in these things.

And its important to know the safety concerns as well as the implications of .............. "practice makes permanent" Bad gymnastics practiced badly takes longer to fix then good gymnastics practiced less frequently. So its important for folks visiting and reading here to know whats at stake and make informed decisions, when they decide they can do what they want with their kid. FWIW

I understand everyone has an opinion, that wasn’t my issue. The issue was you telling me about I need to take a class and what I should have done with my kid. You can fall and break something anywhere, when she first started she wanted a bar and I didn’t know how serious she was so paying $500 for a bar was out. So I went on and made her one, was I scared yeah did she fall no but she got her kip in about a week after that. Everyone parents different I won’t comment on yall kids on how some people parent don’t do it to me.

I understand everyone has an opinion, that wasn’t my issue. The issue was you telling me about I need to take a class and what I should have done with my kid. You can fall and break something anywhere, when she first started she wanted a bar and I didn’t know how serious she was so paying $500 for a bar was out. So I went on and made her one, was I scared yeah did she fall no but she got her kip in about a week after that. Everyone parents different I won’t comment on yall kids on how some people parent don’t do it to me.

Lance you have made it very clear over many posts, that your child has made a lot of progress in a very short period of time. Your sample size is one, your time frame is 3 years. Your know it all attitude is really disrespectful to the people in the group who have coached hundreds of kids over the course of many many years. No one should be learning new skills at home. No one should be using an AIR MATTRESS as mat.

I agree with keeping the gymnastics in the gym. If they do it at home, they can either injure themselves, or get the technique wrong and have to be retaught from the coach. The only thing my kid does at home or preferably at our family gym is conditioning. I came into the basement one time and there were about 3 boys doing backflips off the couch onto the rug (which was covering concrete). I was like "Are you Insane???" Someone is going to end up paralyzed or with a concussion.

Lance you have made it very clear over many posts, that your child has made a lot of progress in a very short period of time. Your sample size is one, your time frame is 3 years. Your know it all attitude is really disrespectful to the people in the group who have coached hundreds of kids over the course of many many years. No one should be learning new skills at home. No one should be using an AIR MATTRESS as mat.

So since you follow my other comments you will clearly see where I always say I don’t know ANYTHING about this sport. Now I’m considered disrespectful because I said what I did for my daughter a year ago? Man yall get real sensitive over me answering a question, but it’s ok for someone to tell me to take a class and everything else on another post. But ok I get it yall coaches and just want to say what yall want how yall want and expect me to just be quiet. YOU GOT IT

I just grew up different, people was doing flips off of every damn thing from cars to houses. Was it safe, hell naw but kids still did it. Just yesterday one of my daughters teammates broke her foot and she was just jumping on the trampoline, you can hurt yourself anywhere gym or home. P

I just grew up different, people was doing flips off of every damn thing from cars to houses. Was it safe, hell naw but kids still did it. Just yesterday one of my daughters teammates broke her foot and she was just jumping on the trampoline, you can hurt yourself anywhere gym or home. P
Sure you can. You can get hurt walking down a sidewalk. But that doesn’t mean you should take silly, unnecessary risks. That doesn’t mean you should make a make-shift bar and allow your kids to practice on it. Here is the thing you don’t seem to comprehend. Your kid is clearly very talented given her journey. So maybe it did help her to practice those kips at home (I don’t think so...she is just talented), but many many many other gymnasts would either get injured or develop bad habits by doing what your kiddo did. So, perhaps you should reconsider giving such advice bc you need to understand your child’s journey isn’t at all typical. And your gym isn’t at all typical either...we have elites (on junior national team) at our gym who don’t practice as much as your young level 7/8. So, I’m just saying perhaps you need to understand when you give this advice, it isn’t going to help most normal gymnasts.

That’s not to say your story or advice isn’t useful. I’m just saying you shouldn’t be so defensive when people point out the “flaws” in your suggestions.

I grew up without seatbelts, took 125 stitches in my forehead when my head broke the windshield.

Kids didn’t wear helmets, my friend didn’t make it to 9th grade because of a skateboard/head injury.

There were no lights and gates on buses when kids got off buses, nor was there a law when a student got killed getting off our bus. He didn’t get to enjoy his senior year or any year after that. He did get the yearbook dedicated to him....

I’m a Maya girl. When you know better you do better. You have a second one coming up yes. I only hope your luck holds.

And PS do a search on people’s opinions of trampolines. And we have one, with very strict rules including an adult watching

Absolutely.
But of course, once my daughter was a competitive gymnast, and getting hurt meant missing gym, or a season, or permanent retiring, we didn't keep her in a bubble, but we were a little more in tune with not taking unnecessary risks.

You admit you "know nothing" about the sport, so when there's an opinion that what you're sharing as "something you might want to do" isn't actually what anyone should do, that wasn't an attack. CoachP's comments about a class were after you were defending what you did a year ago, seemingly not understanding how badly it's frowned upon in the gym world. and how potentially dangerous it could have been. Or even just creating bad form that coaches would have to undo (sometimes I think that could be worse than injury - LOL!)

I appreciate you bringing your daughter's experiences to Chalkbucket, and I look forward to following her journey with Airborne. Yes, please bring opinions, and discussion to the boards, but keep in mind that when you put an opinion out there, or tell what you did for your daughter, there is possibly a parent on here newer than you who then says "Hey, let's build you a bar to learn your kip in a week! I saw it on CB!" (it happens), and then that parent didn't read about the pole inside of the PVC, and their kid gets hurt. When you give opinions on here, especially with a daughter that excelled so quick, some people take those opinions with more seriousness, without reading that you self-admittedly don't know "anything" about gymnastics.

Absolutely.
But of course, once my daughter was a competitive gymnast, and getting hurt meant missing gym, or a season, or permanent retiring, we didn't keep her in a bubble, but we were a little more in tune with not taking unnecessary risks.

You admit you "know nothing" about the sport, so when there's an opinion that what you're sharing as "something you might want to do" isn't actually what anyone should do, that wasn't an attack. CoachP's comments about a class were after you were defending what you did a year ago, seemingly not understanding how badly it's frowned upon in the gym world. and how potentially dangerous it could have been. Or even just creating bad form that coaches would have to undo (sometimes I think that could be worse than injury - LOL!)

I appreciate you bringing your daughter's experiences to Chalkbucket, and I look forward to following her journey with Airborne. Yes, please bring opinions, and discussion to the boards, but keep in mind that when you put an opinion out there, or tell what you did for your daughter, there is possibly a parent on here newer than you who then says "Hey, let's build you a bar to learn your kip in a week! I saw it on CB!" (it happens), and then that parent didn't read about the pole inside of the PVC, and their kid gets hurt. When you give opinions on here, especially with a daughter that excelled so quick, some people take those opinions with more seriousness, without reading that you self-admittedly don't know "anything" about gymnastics.

Understandable I can admit when I’m wrong, and was wrong.

Strength strength strength. She needs to make sure that the knows the importance of her strength program and is not Cheating it. Lead up
Skills and strength. It’s like a press to handstand.

Lance - at the end of the day, you are entitled to your opinion, and we are all entitled to ours. But just because I am entitled to my opinion about space exploration, I have zero education or qualification to speak informatively about the topic - and I would likely weigh heavily on a professional's opinion when discussing the matter.

There are very educated coaches, and experienced parents on this forum - who are speaking from years of experience. In your case, fortunately nothing bad happened with your make-shift bar, but why not carefully consider and graciously accept the experts opinions and advice shared on CB to avoid placing your daughter in a situation that is potentially more dangerous than you originally calculated?

That is all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back