Kip- UGH

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can't get my kip! I do them perfectly with a light spot, but as soon as my coach goes away,I tap the ground and I dont get my wrists ovr fast enough to make it. Any help?:confused:

Time and practice. The kip takes hundreds of repetitions for most kids. Nobody here can really help as they are not in the gym with you. Ask your coach if you feel you need more tips.

What bog said.

Also watching my dd learn her kip relatively quickly- her gym made them do kip drills over, and over, and over, and over. Broke it down into 4 or 5 bits- the jump, the glide, the snap to the bar, the back swing, the switch over the bar. They weren't allowed to even try the whole thing until every component was perfect. Once it was, they just pop right over :)

Maybe ask you coach for the drills so you can perfect them when you have a bit of downtime, waiting for your turn, waiting for a spot, open gym etc...

You're probably trying harder when you try it by yourself, and as weird as it sounds that can be a problem because every movement gets a little more energy.......even wrong movements like mistakes. When trying harder doesn't work you have to switch your thinking and try "righter" by concentrating on the corrections you're given. Try that, it worked for me once upon a time......

There is a chance that you're changing the kip when the coach isn't there... One thing I would try is doing a few with the coach spotting you and asking him/her not to spot you on a random one. That way, you won't know when the coach isn't going to be spotting you, and you won't change your form on the kip.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back