knee problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi, i has something called oshgood slaughters ( not sure how to spell it) but when im doing gymnastics they hurt really bad to the point where i have to do things on the tumble track because i cant vault or tumble. i have knee braces on both knees but it isnt seeming to help. does anyone know what i can do to make them hurt less while practicing? thanks:confused:

hi, i has something called oshgood slaughters ( not sure how to spell it) but when im doing gymnastics they hurt really bad to the point where i have to do things on the tumble track because i cant vault or tumble. i have knee braces on both knees but it isnt seeming to help. does anyone know what i can do to make them hurt less while practicing? thanks:confused:
I assume you already have it seen by your doctor. If not, go do it NOW.

As for what helps during practice, here is a product that works really well for OS and other growing pains around the knees:
Knee Strap, Dual Action - Cho-Pat - Allows for full mobility

They have soft dowels that pinch just below the knee caps. I would not bother with the single version of this and any third party knock off (we have tried several). You won't be happy because they tend to fall off and the velcro won't last. You'll end up buying another pair within a month.

Also, there has been several threads on this topic lately. Do a search for more discussions and useful information such as stretches and other home remedies.

Hey I have osgoods. I feel your pain. Osgoods is horrible. I had bands on both my knees, and I went to phsyical therapy, but to tell you the truth it didn't do much good. Basically you just have to wait to stop growing. I took a year off which helped a little bit, but going back was still painful, you really have to suck up the pain. I would suggest icing before and after practice, try to give your knee a ton of rest outside of gym.

At gym, if possible do vault and floor last. Try to focus a lot on bars and beam. Really try not to run and jump (which I know is super hard in gymnastics) unless necessary. Keep vaulting to a minimum. To stay in shape work on tons of drills, and also do a lot of knee strenghtening and core excercising.

My bands have lasted me for 5 years, they were like 60 total but have been worth it. It goes right under the knee cap, and I got it from my sports doctor, so if you get some go to your sports doctor, they'll know the best type.

If you need any more help, just ask, I know how you feel and good luck!

hey, i had the same problem for about 5 years, it was shocking. I also had other knee problems such as ciding larsons (that was really bad) nothing would help my knees and i had stopped growing it got to the point where at my last comp i couldnt walk after my floor routine so i stopped training, it took two years for my knees to stop hurting and at time i still get alot of pain. i know thats not very helpfull but i just want to say make sure you've been diagnosed correctly and do everything you can to stop it getting worse. 4 years after quitting i'm not back in the gym and i'm training five times a week.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back