L 6 States

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

Well, it is finally (almost) here. DD competes this Sunday 5:30 pm, at her L6 State meet. Here are a couple of issues she is worried about & would like some encouragement for...

~Her last meet was 5 weeks ago, so she may be a bit rusty & not quite in that competing 'groove'.

~Her coach changed their vault settings this week (why THIS week? UGH!), so now she is having a bit of difficulty w/ the one event she had a good chance of medaling on.

~Wierd thing going on w/ her prescription for her contact lenses right now(long story, I won't get into it), but she is having trouble w/ blurry vision, esp. on bars.

This is going to be a TOUGH meet. She was up against some of the same girls she will see at States, at her last meet, and she ended up in the bottom three AA. She knows, and I know, that it really doesn't matter, but I just want her to relax and enjoy herself! It's still tough for her to swallow, finishing low in the group, after being w/ such a high-placing gym last year & being a L5 State Champ on 2 events! That's life, 'you can't win 'em all', is about all I can say! :D

Thanks! I am going to have her read your responses:p!

Wow MSL - that is a lot going on for a young lady - and the move on top of it all.

Maybe the contact thing will work itself out before Sunday :)

Not sure why the coach would change the vault setting now of all times. Any chance of asking the coach to set it back until after States?

It sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders. That is more important than the rest of it !!

I will be thinking of her. Tell her to do her best and have fun. Can't ask for more than that !!!

(((( HUGS )))))

Good luck wishes for states this weekend, i hope she gets her vault sorted out, its annoying when things get changed but tell her to hang in there and have fun, we cant wait to hear how it goes !!

Wow MSL - that is a lot going on for a young lady - and the move on top of it all.

Maybe the contact thing will work itself out before Sunday :)

Not sure why the coach would change the vault setting now of all times. Any chance of asking the coach to set it back until after States?

It sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders. That is more important than the rest of it !!

I will be thinking of her. Tell her to do her best and have fun. Can't ask for more than that !!!

(((( HUGS )))))

Thank you! She just told me about the coach changing the settings this am. I can't imagine what went on in his head to do this, but he is the coach. I am not! So, no, I will not mention anything, although I'd really love to go and have his head examined! I have resolved after 4 years in this sport that it is my job to be her cheerleader only, and leave the gymnastic stuff up to dd & her coaches. :cool:

Best wishes to DD! I think the meet time is great! My DD always wants that time slot...she HATES getting the 1st session...way too early in the AM!!! For a 5:30p start you can sleep in...eat well throughout the day...& relax until it's time to head out for the meet! I also think the break between the meets is good thing. She's not all "meeted out"(I know it's not really a word...but you know what I mean,LOL!). As for the vault setting...I would check with the coach... ASAP.... about that. Are her contacts the disposable kind? Maybe it's a bad batch??? If not maybe they need a special type of cleaner??? Can you fit in a trip to the eye doctor???? Your DD did great at level 5 states!!! My DD was also state floor,bars, vault & AA champ as level 5. I know she put a lot of pressure on herself in level 6...but each level is different. Level 6 is notoriously tough, don't take it personally. DD needs to have fun & do her best...medaling is nice...but not a necessity:)...don't stress about that. Do your best & if it's meant to be it will be:). Just keep thinking....after this you'll be moving to optionals & getting to pick your own floor music!!!! I'm sending all the fairies for you! GOOD LUCK AT STATES!:D

Sending lots of good luck wishes to your dd for a very fun L6 State! I know she will do AWESOME! :D

Maybe the coach is planning on competing vault on the regular setting, but switching it for now (raising it) to increase the gymnasts' power. My dd's coach does this... They train on one setting and compete on a completely different setting.

Good luck to your DD at States! We are sending all the good luck wishes we can. It must be so hard with all the changes she has been experiencing. She sounds like an all together kind of girl so I am sure that she will have a great day! We will be thinking of you at 5:30! GOOD LUCK! Have FUN!

Sending lots of good luck wishes to your dd for a very fun L6 State! I know she will do AWESOME! :D

Maybe the coach is planning on competing vault on the regular setting, but switching it for now (raising it) to increase the gymnasts' power. My dd's coach does this... They train on one setting and compete on a completely different setting.
That's what I was thinking too! My DD's coach also does this. Just have your DD ask, which setting she'll be competeing at...so she knows & isn't stressing out about it all week. She'll do great don't worry!:vault:

I am sending her a Battalion of Fairies who should be able to take care of any need that arises, be prepared ya know!

YOu know that we think she is the bomb, no matter what the vault setting. Tell her we have everything crossed for her, including our eyes.

Have a blast, enjoy your last L6 meet!!!

I think she'll have tons of fairies at this meet. Will send some "relax and enjoy" fairies. She needs to remember this is an honor since not everyone does get to states. My gymmie added her advice for bars---"go big and attack."

Next year it'll be states in TX!!!

Thanks, everyone for your encouraging posts! I love the input, and dd will get a lot out of it too, later today.

About the vault...DD said they usually had practiced at '130' and competed on '125'; but for some reason the vault coach said this week "You're supposed to be practicing at '135' and competing '130'!!" I probably have those #'s wrong, but you get the idea. She will be begging him for the easier setting, believe me! I don't want to get involved, or in ANY coach's face, esp. THIS week, as it is L5 AND L6 States all in one meet! :eek:

About the contacts: I took her to the eye Dr. yesterday b/c she was on her last 2 pairs of contacts AND complaining of blurry vision over the past few weeks. The Dr. examined her and found that the LAST eye Dr. we saw there, gave her TOO STRONG of a prescription for her contacts. She was also having some headaches b/c of this, as her eye muslces were having to adjust to the overly-strong lenses in a wierd way. Nice going, Dr. 'Einstein'! :mad: So the new Dr. backed her down to a lower prescription, and told us it may take a few days for her eye muscles to adjust to doing their job correctly, so her vision may be blurry. Super! Great news, 4 days before States! :eek: She is begging me to let her wear her incorrect/stronger pair just for Sunday's meet, but I do NOT think that is a good idea! She needs to adjust to her proper strength lenses, and I don't want to mess w/ her poor, confused eye muscles, any more!

About looking forward to Optionals....We shall see, there are no guarantees! We do not know what they will want to do w/ her at her new gym in TX (when we find it), she may have to repeat L6 if they think she needs it. Remember, they are super competitive there. One gym even suggested the easier, non-USAG route for her, after looking at her you tube videos, lol! So, I can't even say to her "Hey! to heck w/ L6, you'll be an Optional!" She will probably get to do one or two of her Prep-Op meets before we move, so at least that will be fun for a while...:cool:

BTW, she is actually kind of pumped to move...go figure! I think since she & her sis have been sharing a room since we got here, she is just so ready to have her own space. They have been good kids and are keeping it pretty peacable, but they are BOTH about to blow a gasket in that one room, I think! Threre's just nowhere to go & be alone! Also, we spiced up the moving deal w/ the prospect of getting a puppy after we move, so that is helping a LOT, lol! No one at gym knows yet, we do not want to upset anyone before States, and we are still not 100%.

Thanks again! :)

She may just surprise you. I didn't have great hopes last year for my dd for level 6 states - she had a good season - but not super great like some of the girls she was up against. She ended up having her best meet of the season and placed on vault, floor and all around (and was only one place out on bars and beam) - who would of thunk it?? Your dd is very talented - I'm sure she will do very well. And I am glad to hear she is excited about the move.

One gym even suggested the easier, non-USAG route for her, after looking at her you tube videos, lol!
What?!?!:boggled: Are they crazy????

One gym even suggested the easier, non-USAG route for her, after looking at her you tube videos, lol!
What?!?!:boggled: Are they crazy????
No, they're Texas, lol!

Possibly, they were coupling the videos w/ my comments, which basically were about her not wanting to go the 'elite route', or have horrendous hours, but still wanting to train in a solid program w/ professional coaching.

Who knows, lol! I just can't worry about it all. What will be, will be!

No, they're Texas, lol!

Possibly, they were coupling the videos w/ my comments, which basically were about her not wanting to go the 'elite route', or have horrendous hours, but still wanting to train in a solid program w/ professional coaching.

Who knows, lol! I just can't worry about it all. What will be, will be!
I'm sure you'll find the "right fit" for your DD! You have had quite a week! Good luck with everything! Especially at States!!!:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back