WAG L10 Senior and gym decided ALL virtual when the rest of gyms in state are planning for a season (entering local meets)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
We just found out our gym is planning only 4 in-house meets, some sanctioned with Judges in hopes of then attending State, Regionals and Nationals (they don’t want to risk any Covid exposure and have to quarantine per coach). DD is a Senior, third year L10 set for D3 or walk-on D1 (on the cusp kid). She’s devastated with this decision and all other high level JO programs in our state have plannned for meets and confirmed schedules (90% in state and the usual invites).
We don’t know what to do. She loves her gym but is the only senior and one of 2 L10’s. I’m worried about the loss of what will end up being 2 “real” seasons (only 4 meets before Covid shutdown 2019) and how it will negatively impact everything she’s worked so hard for.
Do we consider a gym move just to have a chance at a “normal” season?

We just found out our gym is planning only 4 in-house meets, some sanctioned with Judges in hopes of then attending State, Regionals and Nationals (they don’t want to risk any Covid exposure and have to quarantine per coach). DD is a Senior, third year L10 set for D3 or walk-on D1 (on the cusp kid). She’s devastated with this decision and all other high level JO programs in our state have plannned for meets and confirmed schedules (90% in state and the usual invites).
We don’t know what to do. She loves her gym but is the only senior and one of 2 L10’s. I’m worried about the loss of what will end up being 2 “real” seasons (only 4 meets before Covid shutdown 2019) and how it will negatively impact everything she’s worked so hard for.
Would any of the other gyms: 1. be close enough to make it work; 2. willing to take her; 3. have a coaching style that works for her; 4. Have NICE level 10s who won't go all mean girl with a new girl coming in; and 5. be affordable (considering all of the "new to a team" costs in addition to all the usual costs)?

If you can find a gym that meets all of those, then you could seriously consider switching ... but do it ASAP.

Could you ask 1 coach to take just her to some bigger meets if you pay all the costs?

It is great and fun to have a season but what are your concerns about not having a season? Are you afraid it will affect college recruiting?

If she is worried this will affect college recruiting, I honestly don’t think it will. Let me preface this by saying recruiting right now is likely very different in terms of time lines and maybe the process than previous years. My daughter is a sophomore at a D1 college. Recruiting/commitments were solidified end of junior year. I think deadlines have changed so that is now neither here nor there. But getting recruited for us and so many other gymnasts did not rely on competitions. You can just send videos of skills and routines at practice. I am assiming by this time, you’ve already made contacts with the college coaches. Just send them skill updates.

My daughter did not compete her senior year because she had her second surgery. Her first surgery was towards the end of sophomore year so she also had a truncated junior year. Yet, she still had a few coaches interested. However, she was a level 10 at a pretty young age and we reached out to coaches when turned 14.

if however, your daughter wants a season because it is her senior year and she wants a senior season, then I’d look at other gyms.

If my daughter is in that situation, I would not move her. It is two months before competition season, if she needs to get used to new gym, new team, new coaches and coaching style, I think it may hurt her more than help her. If she is already set to be D3, there should be no worry. I don't think they would rescind just because your gym chooses not to compete live. My daughter hardly competed Level 10 due to one injury after another, but she still kept with the recruiting process. Keep sending skills and routine videos from practice and whatever you can get from your virtual and in house meets. It will all work out. Good luck.

Every option has its pros and cons. Worse case scenario-she does DII OR DIII for a year then transfers to a DI or she could go to a a DI school with a “smaller” program (Arkansas vs. UCLA-though with Jordyn coaching that maybe more competitive now). Where does she want to go?

Could you ask 1 coach to take just her to some bigger meets if you pay all the costs?
Yes, we did ask this and went as far as saying we'd have her tested the Monday morning after each competition weekend to show a negative before coming back to workouts. They continue to say no and are moving forward to in-house only for all JO and Xcel. I'm struggling with this not making sense and is my daughter, a senior is old enough to get it. The team is not quarantined nor bubble wrapped at times they are not in the gym. Exposure can and will happen anywhere...

It is great and fun to have a season but what are your concerns about not having a season? Are you afraid it will affect college recruiting?

If she is worried this will affect college recruiting, I honestly don’t think it will. Let me preface this by saying recruiting right now is likely very different in terms of time lines and maybe the process than previous years. My daughter is a sophomore at a D1 college. Recruiting/commitments were solidified end of junior year. I think deadlines have changed so that is now neither here nor there. But getting recruited for us and so many other gymnasts did not rely on competitions. You can just send videos of skills and routines at practice. I am assiming by this time, you’ve already made contacts with the college coaches. Just send them skill updates.

My daughter did not compete her senior year because she had her second surgery. Her first surgery was towards the end of sophomore year so she also had a truncated junior year. Yet, she still had a few coaches interested. However, she was a level 10 at a pretty young age and we reached out to coaches when turned 14.

if however, your daughter wants a season because it is her senior year and she wants a senior season, then I’d look at other gyms.
Hello - thanks for your message. Yes, part of the concern is recruiting but we do understand the virtual world and platform of IG, YouTube and emailing coaches is where things have moved to. Our daughter is very torn, she doesn't want to end her JO career competing inside her gym with one other 10 and a few 9's. She was also just informed last week that only 1 guest could come to these in-house meets (this made her more upset thinking both her mom and dad couldn't see her senior year competitions - coach did not share this info with parents).

I would contact other gyms and see if given the circumstances, they would be open to taking her, especially if they are only going to allow one person to watch in house meets.

Yes, we did...Offered many options/solutions with 1 coach & to pay all travel and rapid Covid test the following Monday and Wed if necessary to practice. Totally no luck, in fact, coach was very angry.

Yes, I hate to say it, but I would contact other gyms, as well. The one thing to note is that a LOT of meets will probably only allow one spectator per gymnast. I know ours is.

If she travelled on Sunday the first date to have a reliable PCR test if she got infected during the trip would be Wednesday. Processing time included for the gym to be on the probably safe side would mean for her to travel on sunday, self isolate till test, test on wednesday, self isolate (also from your family if you are not all isolating at home) till results are there, then go back to practice. if this is not realistic for you i totally understand the coaches refusing going along with the idea since they would be the ones at risk.

Ok - yes I understand the virus shed time etc and the Wednesday test read makes sense. My last comments on the subject is to clarify that the travel we are talking about is approx. 60 miles to a few in state scheduled meets. The coaches don't seem concerned about their own personal travel or what gymnasts do outside the gym (jobs, babysit, hangout with friends, school) all of which puts everyone at risk for exposure. Thanks and good luck to all this season.

Ok - yes I understand the virus shed time etc and the Wednesday test read makes sense. My last comments on the subject is to clarify that the travel we are talking about is approx. 60 miles to a few in state scheduled meets. The coaches don't seem concerned about their own personal travel or what gymnasts do outside the gym (jobs, babysit, hangout with friends, school) all of which puts everyone at risk for exposure. Thanks and good luck to all this season.

The lack of consistency is frustrating. I hope you are able to find a gym that allows your daughter to have her senior season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back