Parents L10 Senior losing interest in college

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That is not necessarily true. I’ve seen far too many stories on ESPN and HBO that say differently.

There is no Div 1 ride that is guaranteed and certainly not for 4 years. Div 1 rides are year to year, as in renewed each year.
I think it is a newer NCAA rule that they keep their scholarship. I asked a college coach lest week about it. The athlete receives an offer letter that states what scholarship they are receiving for each year and a that point it is guaranteed even if they get injured.

I think it is a newer NCAA rule that they keep their scholarship. I asked a college coach lest week about it. The athlete receives an offer letter that states what scholarship they are receiving for each year and a that point it is guaranteed even if they get injured.
That would be great, but I dont think that happens often.

Yes, but it is only guaranteed for that year. Should athlete be hurt in sophomore year, the scholarship is good through sophomore year.....then they may or may not renew the scholarship for junior and senior year. There aren’t many anymore that are a guaranteed 4 yr scholarship (as opposed to 4yr renewal ea year).

Yes, but it is only guaranteed for that year. Should athlete be hurt in sophomore year, the scholarship is good through sophomore year.....then they may or may not renew the scholarship for junior and senior year. There aren’t many anymore that are a guaranteed 4 yr scholarship (as opposed to 4yr renewal ea year).

Yes, the way I understood it was that the scholarships are for one year only. They have to be renewed every year. Otherwise, if they have a limited number of scholarships and several injuries, they could feasibly not be able be able to field an entire team.

I think this is changing. The coach I spoke with was saying how they are requiring them to give an offer letter that specifies out the scholarship for each year. Once they have this all the years are guaranteed, even if they are injured.

And not to pick on you, but please remember, if for any reason your dd does not stay on a college team (injury, coaching issue, just being done with gym, not being good enough and getting cut), she still has to stay at that school for 4-5 years to earn her degree. It needs to be a place she wants to live and a school where she wants to study if gymnastics were to suddenly go away. It also has to be a place where you can afford for her to go.
THIS.

Yes, the way I understood it was that the scholarships are for one year only. They have to be renewed every year. Otherwise, if they have a limited number of scholarships and several injuries, they could feasibly not be able be able to field an entire team.
It has been that way since the days of yore, or should I say since I was an athlete on a scholarship at a division one college. I watched it happen. Live and up close and personal.

I think this is changing. The coach I spoke with was saying how they are requiring them to give an offer letter that specifies out the scholarship for each year. Once they have this all the years are guaranteed, even if they are injured.
Wow. That is different!

And I’m guessing that spelling out includes the fact they are renewable and are based on your ability to participate on the team.

Perhaps they are more forth coming about the specifics, but I doubt there are any guaranteed 4 yr athletic rides.

I doubt there are any guaranteed 4 yr athletic rides.

All athletic scholarships in the Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, and SEC, as well as Notre Dame, that had NLIs initially signed after January 2015 are for guaranteed four year scholarships that can only be revoked if the athlete becomes academically ineligible, quits the team, violates a university policy or rule that is not related to athletic ability, or is disciplined by the regular student disciplinary committee for "serious misconduct." Other schools have the option to offer a guaranteed four years but I don't know how common it is.

All athletic scholarships in the Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, and SEC, as well as Notre Dame, that had NLIs initially signed after January 2015 are for guaranteed four year scholarships that can only be revoked if the athlete becomes academically ineligible, quits the team, violates a university policy or rule that is not related to athletic ability, or is disciplined by the regular student disciplinary committee for "serious misconduct." Other schools have the option to offer a guaranteed four years but I don't know how common it is.

hmm.....I know of one SEC gymnast who was medically retired last year. She "chose" to graduate early. I was told by someone close to her that she wasn't really given a lot of options....they retired her, they told her she was welcome to stay at university for senior year but that athletic funding was not available to her for the next year. She chose to graduate early in whatever major she had enough credits for. Now, this did not come directly from them, so something may have been lost in the retelling....but it did come from someone reliable. So maybe there are loopholes and/or enticements to get them to graduate early? idk

hmm.....I know of one SEC gymnast who was medically retired last year. She "chose" to graduate early. I was told by someone close to her that she wasn't really given a lot of options....they retired her, they told her she was welcome to stay at university for senior year but that athletic funding was not available to her for the next year. She chose to graduate early in whatever major she had enough credits for. Now, this did not come directly from them, so something may have been lost in the retelling....but it did come from someone reliable. So maybe there are loopholes and/or enticements to get them to graduate early? idk
And I have heard many similar stories.

I would wonder about the fine print that comes under “unless they quit the team” ........ because a career ending injury, would necessitate quitting the team. Good bye ride

I remember a post/topic about this a few years ago here on CB and I thought this was the case but couldn't find the info for it when I looked. I thought more schools followed suit for gymnastics as well but again couldn't find the info in a quick google search.

I believe the new four year deals were for the 2017-18 school year, which means the gymnast you are referring to would not have had this 4yr contract. Regardless, yes - I am sure there are loopholes on the school's part.

And I have heard many similar stories.

I would wonder about the fine print that comes under “unless they quit the team” ........ because a career ending injury, would necessitate quitting the team. Good bye ride

College coach explained 'medical retirement' to us that NCAA insurance kicks in when an injury is career ending and the student is allowed to keep their funding but it does not count as one of the schools 12 scholarships (freeing up a scholarship position for the team.) The student is required to work, in this case the athlete was working in the compliance office. The coach said that it is very difficult to get a gymnast approved for medical retirement, sometimes they are injured and it is a long an slow process of rehab, working back, etc, but not deemed by NCAA as career ending- so that is when I think it may be difficult- facing a long time of rehab, conditioning, etc for the gymnast and then from the coach perspective using a scholarship position for someone who is injured.

hmm..... So maybe there are loopholes and/or enticements to get them to graduate early? idk

The "enticement" is that the school tells them that they will not be funding them anymore....and this tidbit of news usually comes in year end meetings that take place in mid April, after all the FAFSA forms were due ...and not filed because the gymnast thought they still had a scholarship....so now said gymnast has no athletic funding and no financial aid because she didn't apply and this becomes the "enticement" to graduate early. ...and flippin out , you are correct in saying the affected gymnasts are given zero options in when/how/why they are replaced....the next shiny new gymnast who the college coach promises a scholarship to, and you see this with girls that "come a year early ", becomes the unspoken "reason" for the retirement to open up a roster/athletic money spot.

Scholarships were supposed to be "guaranteed 4 years" starting with the 2016 HS grads but language such as "violates a rule" , "quits the team " etc become license to treat the gymnast such that she "leaves the team voluntarily, thus giving up her scholarship" ....saw that happen more than 4 times on the same team even before the new regs, when they could just not renew....so with being on the hook for the 4 years so to speak, I can't even imagine what happens behind the scenes now when we see girls "retire", "graduate early" and just disappear from rosters.

The "enticement" is that the school tells them that they will not be funding them anymore....and this tidbit of news usually comes in year end meetings that take place in mid April, after all the FAFSA forms were due ...and not filed because the gymnast thought they still had a scholarship....so now said gymnast has no athletic funding and no financial aid because she didn't apply and this becomes the "enticement" to graduate early. ...and flippin out , you are correct in saying the affected gymnasts are given zero options in when/how/why they are replaced....the next shiny new gymnast who the college coach promises a scholarship to, and you see this with girls that "come a year early ", becomes the unspoken "reason" for the retirement to open up a roster/athletic money spot.

Scholarships were supposed to be "guaranteed 4 years" starting with the 2016 HS grads but language such as "violates a rule" , "quits the team " etc become license to treat the gymnast such that she "leaves the team voluntarily, thus giving up her scholarship" ....saw that happen more than 4 times on the same team even before the new regs, when they could just not renew....so with being on the hook for the 4 years so to speak, I can't even imagine what happens behind the scenes now when we see girls "retire", "graduate early" and just disappear from rosters.

That is what I was given to understand as well.....loopholes and ways around it. Cut them from line ups, medically retire if at all possible, if all else fails make them miserable enough to graduate early or leave....anything to free up a scholarship. And you got the nail on the head about the next hot thing coming in early. The situation I was referencing had a hot new thing join the team in January that year —Offering hot new thing a scholarship if they graduated HS early and joined college 2nd semester. Where this scholarship suddenly came from when there was none available that previous fall and “wouldn’t be available if hot new thing waited til the fall that she would’ve been her normal time to come” who knows.....my guess is from a “retired” scholarship

Just to set the record straight, SCE is correct. The Letter of Intent MUST spell out which years will be funded. The letter can state 1 year, 2 years, 3 years or 4 years (and not always consecutively - I'm looking at you, Pac12) , but it has to be stated on the NLI letter. Once that is signed, the school can choose to fund additional years, but not less. So if a gymnast is injured after signing, they will have the funded education even if they have to medically retire. I believe they still have to work with the team in some capacity, though - volunteer assistant, etc.

Forced medical retirement is, however, another issue as I understand it. Sometimes athletes who want to come back from an injury, and likely capable, are not given that option. There have been situations where an medically-retired athlete has been offered a chance to recover and compete at a different school.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back