WAG L3 spot on vault - deduction?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Karelle

Proud Parent
(Hi all, I’m new here. Hopefully this will post correctly.)

I’m including a link to the video of my daughter’s coach giving her a spot on her vault -

The judge somehow didn’t notice the coach had spotted her, so didn’t give a deduction (score given was 8.6). Judge asked coach after if she had been spotted, coach said yes, judge said oh well I already input the score. My question is what would her score have been with the spot deduction? I’ve scoured the internet, and see a general .5 deduction for spots are common. Then there’s .5 plus the value of the skill. Then I think I read there was something about a void if there was a spot on vault before hitting the mat? The coach said it would have been a .5 deduction, just wanted to make sure that was correct/I understood her correctly. And wanted to make sure a spot at that point was even allowed.

My daughter is having the hardest time getting her vault. Her previous scores for vault (with no spot) have been 6.0, 7.3 (I think the judge was being generous), and 6.8. She pikes and bends her arms and basically does a somersault unless the coach taps her legs like in the video.

(Hi all, I’m new here. Hopefully this will post correctly.)

I’m including a link to the video of my daughter’s coach giving her a spot on her vault -

The judge somehow didn’t notice the coach had spotted her, so didn’t give a deduction (score given was 8.6). Judge asked coach after if she had been spotted, coach said yes, judge said oh well I already input the score. My question is what would her score have been with the spot deduction? I’ve scoured the internet, and see a general .5 deduction for spots are common. Then there’s .5 plus the value of the skill. Then I think I read there was something about a void if there was a spot on vault before hitting the mat? The coach said it would have been a .5 deduction, just wanted to make sure that was correct/I understood her correctly. And wanted to make sure a spot at that point was even allowed.

My daughter is having the hardest time getting her vault. Her previous scores for vault (with no spot) have been 6.0, 7.3 (I think the judge was being generous), and 6.8. She pikes and bends her arms and basically does a somersault unless the coach taps her legs like in the video.

The compulsory app states “assistance of coach between the board and the mat stack (which so what appears to happen here) voids the vault. So it seems as if it should have been given a zero. As for her struggling, just give it time.

The compulsory app states “assistance of coach between the board and the mat stack (which so what appears to happen here) voids the vault. So it seems as if it should have been given a zero. As for her struggling, just give it time.
I think she starts spotting after the gymnast has made hand contact with the mat ?
I have no idea what the deduction would be though, I'm not from the US.

However, as a coach, I would advise you not to worry about it too much. If spotting allows her to make that vault safely and with decent technique (ie. not doing a forward roll), then the deduction / void vault is very much worth it in the long run. It's definitely better than developping bad habits and/or fear issues. Your daughter looks young, she'll get it eventually, just give it time :)

Hard to say. I watched it again and it looks almost simultaneous. The app says it’s a 2.00 deduction for assistance after gymnast achieves hand support. I agree either way, just give her time and don’t worry about it too much.

Thanks for the advice! Yes, she’s young (7) and I should know to just let it go and trust she’ll eventually get it, just like every other skill she’s worked hard to get. It’s just difficult to watch her come in dead last on vault every meet (it’s totally my own issue - she doesn’t seem to mind at all).

For what it’s worth, I slowed the video and I think this is the point the coach makes contact. So, given there are no slow motion replays, it would depend on what the judge saw in that split second...either a 2.00 deduction or a void. Good to know! Coach said she’d likely spot her first vault run and have her do it herself on the second run.

Thanks again everyone!!

Attachments

• AE5C729A-ED21-43FF-B058-12C24B4F4E68.png
    AE5C729A-ED21-43FF-B058-12C24B4F4E68.png
    275.1 KB · Views: 37
Thanks for the advice! Yes, she’s young (7) and I should know to just let it go and trust she’ll eventually get it, just like every other skill she’s worked hard to get. It’s just difficult to watch her come in dead last on vault every meet (it’s totally my own issue - she doesn’t seem to mind at all).

For what it’s worth, I slowed the video and I think this is the point the coach makes contact. So, given there are no slow motion replays, it would depend on what the judge saw in that split second...either a 2.00 deduction or a void. Good to know! Coach said she’d likely spot her first vault run and have her do it herself on the second run.

Thanks again everyone!!
Spectators view and angle are completely different then what a judge sees on the floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back