WAG L4 mobility score

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@Deleted member 18037 I agree with you. That one statement was in response to an earlier post. Perhaps I should have said success in compulsories does not necessarily equal success in optionals, meaning that because they scored 37s and 38s in compulsories does not mean they will still score high in optionals. The foundation taught in compulsories is very much needed to be successful in optionals.

Ooh, I like the option for a straddle cast in L5. We have a few L6s who compete a straddle cast almost-handstand. My kid is working straddle CHS and would probably prefer to do that in L5. She does not like to cast really high with legs together. But the changes will come too late for her.
I have two level 5s who can rarely kip-cast to above horizontal with legs together but have really nice kip-cast handstands. I wish this change would have happened sooner!

This would work well for gyms that compete L5. But what about the large number of gyms that score out of L5? Those kids would just have to get the FHS over the table passable enough to score out, then they would immediately move on to the timers for flipping vaults. I really like the idea of breaking vault down into a more gradual progression, but I think more of that progress needs to happen at the very lowest levels.
Maybe they are trying to discourage scoring out? Also many say the compulsory front handspring vaunt is not prifressive anyways and the timers are more useful

Maybe they are trying to discourage scoring out? Also many say the compulsory front handspring vaunt is not prifressive anyways and the timers are more useful
Sorry, “progressive”. Bad phone typing

That sounds like a great idea! Get the form and shape down of the handspring vault without the fear inducing table. Then take it to the table.
Again, level 3 AAU in GA is already using the table, so the fear of the table is gone or at least tempered before they move to level 4. They also have angle of repulsion deductions for vault beginning in level 2. AAU is definitely harder than USAG in GA. USAG should really take a serious look at the program in GA, it’s a very good model for progression.

Level 5 is a good year to really build a foundation for solid optional skills. The routines are essentially the same as level 4, so not as much focus needs to be placed on teaching the little tiny details of the routines and can instead be placed on learning their level 5 skills and then progressing beyond them as they are achieved making for a great opportunity for up training throughout the season. I think skipping 6 is a better option for those kids who are progressing quickly, but I do think it's a necessary level for lots of kids and am glad it's there.
I think the projected changes for vault and the option to do a straddle cast handstand in level 5 are good ones and might encourage more gyms to compete it.
Do you think that the pike cast is required to build strength and discipline since it’s harder before moving to the straddle cast? I feel like it’s another one of those skills that’s used first for a reason, then once it’s mastered it can be altered or adjusted to one of the other ways of execution. Just my thoughts on it.

My eye is twitching just reading over this. Except for vault, there are no significant changes! Still have a stride circle for 2 years! Also, level 3 beam is even easier! No angle required on a handstand and no heel snap turn on one foot? Why not just make it Xcel then? (Sorry, but even in Gold, there is no handstand angle required). If this is it, I’m really disappointed. They had the chance to change some key elements to better things but didn’t, they made level 3 even easier so the jump to 4 will now be even more difficult, and still no angle of repulsion in vault which is something they should master early instead of when they are almost an optional gymnast.

Do you think that the pike cast is required to build strength and discipline since it’s harder before moving to the straddle cast? I feel like it’s another one of those skills that’s used first for a reason, then once it’s mastered it can be altered or adjusted to one of the other ways of execution. Just my thoughts on it.
Oh I absolutely think it has value! And even if straddle cast handstand were allowed this season I still would have had the kids competing it work kip-straight body cast working to get above horizontal. I'm just saying there is hope for those level 5s out there who can't manage a score out of the 8s because of cast height that they aren't destined for a gymnastics career of low bar scores as straddle casts could prove to be much easier for them.

Oh I absolutely think it has value! And even if straddle cast handstand were allowed this season I still would have had the kids competing it work kip-straight body cast working to get above horizontal. I'm just saying there is hope for those level 5s out there who can't manage a score out of the 8s because of cast height that they aren't destined for a gymnastics career of low bar scores as straddle casts could prove to be much easier for them.
This is interesting.

I only have a small data set, one kid on one small team.
But stayed L5 rest went to 6, all back together now. She was specifically held at 5 because her bars were weak.

At L7, they all straddle to HS. Yet she is the one who got to vertical HS first and most consistently gets to vertical HS. And has the best form. No giants yet but solid form and pirouettes

Personally I think the L5 requirement helped her form tremendously even though she is straddle casting to HS.

5 was a hard level scoring wise for my kid but based on my small data set and observations she is a better gymnast having done time there. And I have had conversations with parents who looking back, wished their kids had not scored out of 5.

But if you give them the choice to straddle cast in L5, that is how pretty much most will compete.

And to add our L5 manage to score out with not so great casts.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back