L5 Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2Gymgirls

Proud Parent
I'm wondering if you can tell me what happens when a girl does not make her high bar kip and she is unable to pull over from a hang on the bar. If the coach helps her pull over, is there any spotting dedution for this? What about taking a couple swings to either try the kip again or to just pullover from a swing? I'm asking because my dd hasn't figured out the high bar kip yet, and she isn't able to pull over on her own from a hang.

If she misses her kip and the coach helps her up she will be deducted .5 for the fall and up to the value of the skill for the kip (.8). Depending how far she was from the kip you will usually just get the fall deduction, plus whatever form issues there were, bent knees, feet apart etc. There would be NO deduction for the coach helping her up to the bar. If she took a couple of swing and tried again the judge could take .3 for each additional swing, plus all form deduction again for the second attempted kip. Generally the judges try to do what favors the gymnast more.

If she took a couple of swing and tried again the judge could take .3 for each additional swing, plus all form deduction again for the second attempted kip. Generally the judges try to do what favors the gymnast more.

Actually I think they can take up to 2 additional pump swings in order to retry the skill after a fall. A current judge would have to confirm/deny. Someone around here should know.

Thanks for the input. One of dd's coaches said that she probably wouldn't compete bars until her kips get more consistent because there would be a lot of deductions especially if she misses the high bar kip and can't pull over on her own, so I was curious about what those deductions would be. They said something about a spotting deduction if they have to help her get back on the bar.

On another note, what makes a good high bar kip? I don't get it because dd can do them on the low bar over 50% o the time. She made a few on the high bar a few weeks ago but hasn't been able to do any since. I do notice that when she jumps to the high bar though that her toes seem to be behind her and she is slightly arched. Is that maybe part of her problem?

Is she having to jump really far? Abby's high bar kips often look better than her low bar ones, she gets more power with the big swing. But she also has the bars pretty close, not what they would be in a meet.

Sending her the low/high bar kip fairy!! Hope she rocks L5 this season. :)

There is no deduction for having a coach help you up if you fall on a high bar kip. She probably just needs to get her toes out in front and bring her toes to the bar, and shift her wrists w/o pushing away from the bar. I hope she gets it soon, and good luck to her!

Is she having to jump really far? Abby's high bar kips often look better than her low bar ones, she gets more power with the big swing. But she also has the bars pretty close, not what they would be in a meet.

Sending her the low/high bar kip fairy!! :)

I don't think she has to jump very far. Maybe that's part of the problem. She doesn't jump so much. It's like she leans into it so that when she does jump off her feet are behind her. I hope the fairy gets here soon. The 1st meet is in 3 weeks & she really doesn't want to not compete bars.

There is no deduction for having a coach help you up if you fall on a high bar kip. She probably just needs to get her toes out in front and bring her toes to the bar, and shift her wrists w/o pushing away from the bar. I hope she gets it soon, and good luck to her!

Thanks for the tip. She wants to go to open gym tomorrow to work on it, so we'll see how it goes.

my only tip is to leave your toes behind for as long as you can before you bring your toes to the bar in your long kip, nothing like a glide kip. good luck =)

If this happens to her again have her do the squat to high bar for the long hang kip to count. There is no deduction for the coach helping her on high bar, But the fall will be .5 and if she doesn't do the long hang kip it will be a missed skill .8 Either way make sure she does a clean routine. One bad event does not make a bad gymnast, don't let it get to her. She could do awsome at the other 3 events and place well in the end.

A good long hang kip is done with lots and lots of pull overs on the high bar with the chin not leaving the bar. High bar kip is different in that the shoulders are hyper extended and there is no leg strattle push off. It is harder beacause there is a bit of a dead hang and u must have not only timing but strength to pull it off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back