MAG L5 Hi Bar Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

munchkin3

Proud Parent
In L5, how much leeway is allowed in the long hang pullover? I have seen kids do it where they flop over the bar and hit their hips, lean up and continue.

Then there is the really nice 3/4 giant where the hips don't touch and they whip around....More like a L6 looking thing.......

What is the correct way? I have been told there is a difference between LHP and 3/4 G and other times I have been told they are the same. What is acceptable for L5?

What is the normal development of this skill??? DS is at the stage where he comfortably flops over the bar quickly and is trying to make it look gracefull!LOL

Anybody?
thanks

I don't know the official answer to your question, but my son always referred to it as a baby giant. I think I remember hearing that doing it without touching your hips to the bar is a bonus (called a free hip circle I think rather than a front hip circle but don't quote me on that)??? Our team went all year touching their hips and then right before state there was a lot of talk about making it w/o so they could get the bonus.

Not sure though, I could be getting it confused with the bonus after the kip.

In L5, there is bonus for connecting the cast out of the kip as well as for executing a back hip circle where the hips do not touch the bar ( which is called a free or clear hip circle ).

Free or Clear hip circles typically go backwards except for Weiler kips.

Personally, I don't see the point of having the long hang pullover in L5 but whatev. I will be teaching it as a baby giant but expect it will just be something swinging pullover-ish at first. Ideally, I'd want a tap and turnover to support that then would rock into the candle/cradle position under the bar into the underswing.

Interesting discussion.

One of our experienced (20 years) girls coaches was only telling me last night if our level 4's do the swing pullover and flop over the bar this might be judged as a fall? She also judges at competition. I will have to discuss the technique more with her. Sounds like they have to come over the bar and be in a very tight dish position? Then cast out of it for the back hip, then cast toe shoot for our routine.

Ideally they would come over the bar and drop right back into an inverted dish position (cradle/candlestick) and underswing out to swing series. Well, something like that. Just like the L6 in US WAG JO. Some regions compete a swinging long hang pullover in their compulsories and don't follow the USAG ones.

Personally, I teach it as a 3/4 (baby) giant. The goal for my guys is to do giant-power down. In other words I want a giant that goes close to hand stand and then the gymnast allows their hips to come down to the bar to a support shape as they would if they had done a cast, back hip or free hip circle. With this being the goal, I try to get my 5s to swing and see their arm pits rise above the bar before their toes come over and hips come into the bar.... I hope that makes since.

As for deductions on the 3/4 giant, I don't remember seeing any major deduction skill itself last year. I think the most deductions came from the tap into the giant and a break in rhythm. I saw a lot of: 3/4 giant, pause/stop, undershoot; and no tap into the 3/4 giant.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back