Parents L5 Meet Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2Gymgirls

Proud Parent
Dd had her 2nd L5 meet last weekend. It went a lot better than her 1st one. It's been interesting this year though. We were faced with going back & competing L4 or sticking it out with L5 at the beginning of October. Dd opted to stay with L5. So, let's just say that it will be a challenging year for her. However, what a big improvement from the meet 2 weeks ago, a little over 2 points AA!

The meet was at 8am & an hour & a half drive away. We got up early & left shortly after 6am. Dd slept half of the way down & then changed & ate breakfast in the car.

There were 16 girls in the 7-8 year old age group. DD's group started on bars. DD's goal this meet was to make her high bar kip & squat on, & she managed to do both. She had the biggest grin on her face when she saluted judges. She fell on both of these at the 1st meet, so I was glad to see that things are starting to come together. Still need to work on straight arm kips & bigger tap swings and casts, but what an improvement.

On to beam. If she can pull this together & stay on the beam, I think this will be one of her better events. Everything looks very nice, but she fell on the handstand and the cartwheel. Got both feet on the beam each time, but she couldn't keep her balance & stay on after that. I wasn't expecting a fall on the handstand, as hers is usually very good. After bars though, nothing seemed to bother dd!

Floor wasn't as good as usual, so her score went down on this. The dive roll was piked and she bounced off her back a little when she hit the ground for the roll. The rest of the routine was okay but after the ending pose dd started to fix her ponytail & walk away and then remembered to salute. don't know if there was a deduction for that or not.

Vault was better than the last time. DD is trying to work more on her block so hopefully this will continue to improve as the season goes on.

Vault - 8.0 (9th place and .05 away from the 8th place medal)
Bars - 7.3
Beam - 7.45 (without both falls she would have had one of the higher beam scores in her age group)
Floor - 8.475 (7th)
AA - 31.225 (11th, AA went out 100%)

Next meet is the weekend of December 12th/13th. DD is hoping for at least a 32 AA to qualify for state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely to hear she had some big improvements and that she was so proud of them. YOu are doing a great Mom job encouraging her after she made a big decision to go with the higher level.

I edited out a few paragraphs as they were duplicates, hope you don't mind.

So glad she made her goals on bars. Hopefully she will improve at each meet! Sending her qualify to States fairies. I am sure she will next time! She was so close this time. Tough decision with repeating level 4 or doing 5 and it sounds like she is happy and that is what matters. It is a big jump from level 4. Good for her for going for it!

She did great improving that all around by 2 points:) Way to go and she is going to do awesome:) I bet she will qualify for state by the next meet:)

So glad she made her goals on bars. Hopefully she will improve at each meet! Sending her qualify to States fairies. I am sure she will next time! She was so close this time. Tough decision with repeating level 4 or doing 5 and it sounds like she is happy and that is what matters. It is a big jump from level 4. Good for her for going for it!

Yes, she is happy. Although after that first meet she was disappointed and said that she wanted to go back to L4. She saw some of her friends from last year at that meet winning first place, so I think she realized that if she had gone back that she would have had a really good year. She seemed to forget immediately about that though, and is happy again with where she is at & it gives her something to work towards.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back