L5 to L7 Jump!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It is true that in the past our gym hasn't done level 6 (might be changing this year), and they have done that because the owner/coaches don't like that level. The parents have actually asked in the past to bring back L6, and it has always been a no. BUT, they have never passed a girl on to L7 who wasn't ready. If the gymnast isn't ready to compete L7, then they have stayed at L5 for another year. I personally would like to see them bring back L6. My dd competed L5 last year and is currently uptraining. If she doesn't get the skills needed to do well in L7, I would like to see her do L6 rather than do L5 again (I think...). I think it would do her good in preparing for L7 as opposed to doing L5 again. I know that the scores will stink, but won't they stink for everyone?

my question is why don't the coaches like level 6?
I don't understand how repeating L5 would prepare a gymnast for L7 when the L6 skills are closer to the L7 skills - higher cast, free-hip, baby giant, and flyaway on bars - full turn and back walkover on beam - and the ro-bhs-tuck on floor - are all progressions to the higher level optional skills like bhs on beam, ro-bhs-layouts on floor, and giants.

Go ahead and compete level 6. There's no rush to move up too fast. You can only benefit from perfecting your compulsory skills.

As an interesting side note an old friend of my DDs from the old gym is trying to make the jump at a new gym to L7 after just one year of L5. She is having a tough time early on with the heavy conditioning aspect that makes a good optional gymnast. She has not been able to stay the entire practice yet and I suspect it may be too much too soon for her.
We are pulling for her success whichever level she finds it though.:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back