Parents L6 States Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

DD had her L6 State meet last night. She had some decent scores, but ended up tied for 10th place out of 14 girls. I did some research this morning & found out that 7 out of the 9 girls that placed ahead of her were 2nd year Level 6's, so she was up against a tough bunch!

Here are her scores:

Vault-9.250-8th Place, Medal (She was a bit down about this score, b/c she had been scoring 9.5 & above for most of the season, but I still thought it was a nice vault)

Bars-8.20-9th place, No medal (She did not connect the 1st half of the routine, so we were pleased the judges even gave her above an 8!)

Beam-8.75-12th place, No Medal (She didn't feel good about her routine & said she was really nervous & felt all wobbly)

Floor-9.050-6th Place, Medal (She felt it was one of her best floors this season & was happy w/ it).

AA-35.25-10th Place Tie, No Medal

This culminates the end of her L6 season (insert huge sigh of relief)!

She will compete Prep-Op for a while until we move (don't know when that will be, yet), so she is looking forward to that.

I am happy for her that it went as well as it did. But she worked so hard this season, I just wish she could have had a bit more of a 'reward' for that. :eek:

Thanks for all the well-wishes beforehand! She really liked reading all your 'good luck' posts, and she wanted me to thank you all for being so nice. :)

Congrats on getting through Level 6 - yay!!! I, too, am discovering that many of the girls Katy is up against this year are second year L6's, so I just keep telling her to just "get through it." I think your DD's scores are quite respectable and an AA of over 35 is amazing. Now... onto bigger and better things, right?

-Lynn

It is hard going up against 2nd year level 6's. She did really well though - over a 35 AA at states is awesome !!!

Great job at States, it seems that L6 is a very tough level, which maybe wht so many clubs rush their girls right through without stopping. She got some great scores this year, and those are the ones to remember, can you imagine the pressure on these girls to perform at States. She did great in a very strong group.

Prep op is going to be a lot of fun. It is funny gymnastics is definitely one of those sports where hard work is not always rewarded, some of the hardest working girls in our gym are just not the ones who win everything! Bites!

Last edited:
Her AA is very respectable:)! 6 is a very tough level! Everybody at our gym always says "Just get through it!". Yes, you do tend to run into repeaters. Many gyms keep girls in six specifically to streghthen their bars. Then there are some gyms who score their girls out of it, just b/c level 6 can be such an ego blow to have to deal with. It's always judged very harshly. But she's done!!! She survived & with a really good AA, especially considering all she had going on this past week! Congrats on moving to prep op! She'll get her own music & floor routine there:D.

Great job!!! Congrats on a great score!!! I'm for one glad level 6 is over for the both of our girls. I do think they judge harsh. A few gyms around here don't even compete 6 for this reason. I think scoring over a 35 is awesome!!! Are you going to post the videos? We would love to see them.
:)

Alot of people have mentioned clubs do level 6 for a little time as possible. Perhaps level 6 aught to be an optional level to inspire more girls to take part. Even the little kids in the Uk like having their own routines. Often all the girls from one club have the same routines but there is still a big variety to watch at competitions from the different clubs.

Our gym does not have a level 6 team. They just get girls to meets to score out and move on. I, for one, am very glad about that. I've heard horror stories about how tough the judging is at level 6. Congrats on surviving and doing a very good job, to boot!

I think gyms that have gymmies repeat level 6 must be doing some kind of mental toughness training, LOL!!! They figure if the girls can survive 2 years of that...they'll be able to survive anything!LOL!!!

I just did a quick survey of some of our local clubs and their recent meets... .and the two closest ones have totally skipped L6. The girls DD competed with last year (and she outscored some of them too!) are now competing Level 7. Oh well. Still... K will be more than ready for her prep op and L7 seasons! Tell her congrats again!

-Lynn

over a 35 AA at states is awesome !!!

Thanks for that reminder! It's easy to get things a little out of perspective when you find your kid's name near the bottom of the AA scoresheet, & the top AA score is 37.80!! Sheesh! :eek:

But now I remember thinking at the beginning of her season, that I would love to see her get a 35 AA (especially after her AA score of 31 at her 1st meet!)! ;)

Thanks flippy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back