WAG L9 bars question re: shootover

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

novagymmom

Proud Parent
Hi there - my daughter is a new L9 and I'm working to understand some of the requirements . . . particularly on bars.

Its my understanding that
Shootover, not from handstand, not to handstand = B
Shootover, from handstand, not to handstand = C
Shootover to handstand = D

Currently my daughter is working it from a cast (not a handstand) TO a handstand. So what is that worth? Would it be a D since it is to handstand? Or does it have to start from a handstand?

Thanks!
Michelle

It needs to be from handstand to handstand to be a D. Not handstand to handstand is C and not handstand to not handstand is B. It gets a little more complicated with connections in level 10 (B becomes C is connected to certain skills for bonus purposes) but nothing to worry about yet.

but in level 9 any Ds they do (there is a limit) count as Cs anyway so it doesn’t really matter and will progress nicely for the D in level 10.

Reactions: sce
Not to hijack the thread, but a lower-level mom question here. I thought all bars skills had to hit handstand? Or is that only circling skills and casts? Is there a deduction for the shootover's not beginning or ending in handstand in addition to the lower value of the skill?

@novagymmom , as the others have said it is only a D if it is handstand to handstand. If either one is handstand, but the other isn't, it is a C. And it's a B if it is non handstand to not handstand. If the gymnast can do it from handstand to handstand in level 9, that's awesome, but it still counts as a C for level 9. But it is definitely more progressive for level 10 and handstand to handstand seems to be the goal (at least it is what my level 9 daughter is aiming for asap).

I know in my daughter's routine, the handstand on high bar is more important to her score because she is doing the shootover out of a giant half (or blind as she calls it) and if she doesn't reach handstand in that skill, then her score will really suffer. Missing requirements, connections, deductions, etc. I don't even really begin to understand, but I know that it would not be good. lol. I don't think there is any score advantage to her hitting the handstand on the low bar, but that is what her coach is working towards because she will need it in level 10. At least, this is how I understand it to all work.. I'm sure others will correct me if I have misstated anything. :)

Not to hijack the thread, but a lower-level mom question here. I thought all bars skills had to hit handstand? Or is that only circling skills and casts? Is there a deduction for the shootover's not beginning or ending in handstand in addition to the lower value of the skill?
That is specifically for casts. The other skills have different values based on whether they hit HS. As to how a shootover might not be connected to a cast hs, I have seen elites transition from life to night and then back to life with doing a cast hs in between. Locklear comes to mind. You don't typically see these connections in L9/10. More often than not, a gymnast not going to cast hs b/f a shootover/bail is because they don't have full control of the whole skill yet and it is better to be successful than risk a fall, especially since a D doesn't count in L9.

More often than not, a gymnast not going to cast hs b/f a shootover/bail is because they don't have full control of the whole skill yet and it is better to be successful than risk a fall, especially since a D doesn't count in L9.
Yes. This is exactly the situation with my daughter. I think the INITIAL plan is long hang kip / cast HS 1/2 pirouette / kip cast shootover to HS. Then eventually when she has more control she will take out the extra kip and just do 1/2 pirouette directly into the shootover.

But what I think I'm understanding is that for now, she will still get the C on the shootover (which is fine as D would count as C anyways). Then once she gets it out of the pirouette she'll be able to earn the bonus start value. I'm learning!!

Reactions: sce
That is specifically for casts. The other skills have different values based on whether they hit HS. As to how a shootover might not be connected to a cast hs, I have seen elites transition from life to night and then back to life with doing a cast hs in between. Locklear comes to mind. You don't typically see these connections in L9/10. More often than not, a gymnast not going to cast hs b/f a shootover/bail is because they don't have full control of the whole skill yet and it is better to be successful than risk a fall, especially since a D doesn't count in L9.
What the heck?! This is what happens when I use swipe typing on my phone and not proofread due to a massive headache. Sorry all - should have been low to high and then back to low without doing a cast (just the swing momentum)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back