WAG Lack of Motivation and Want to Quit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymk8nyc

Gymnast
The past few days I’ve wanted to quit gymnastics. I had debilitating muscle pain in my back a few weeks ago (MRI was clear), and then it cleared up in about a month, and then I strained my back again last week doing too many front aerials. I’m really upset about this. I also have a shin splint that hurts really bad. I seem to be rapidly loosing skills. I can’t even do a good back tuck or bhs today. I have wanted to cry multiple times. I’m really really frustrated and just want to quit gymnastics. Especially considering how long it took for the back pain to clear up last time. Problem is, I’m scheduled for full day training camp starting June 14th (I begged my mom for this and she shelled out nearly $4000 for it so I have to go). Should I take the rest of May off? My team still expects me to attend practices until June 14th. I practice 5 days a week.

Before you completely quit, can you take a little break? Can you take it slowly for a while? Quitting is, in my opinion, not something you should decide overnight. If you are hurting, avoid the things that hurt. Talk to your coach about how you feel. He or she might give you some solutions too. Good luck!

Take the rest of the month or even up until camp off (tell your gym you are resting your injuries). Give your back and shins a break.
Go to camp and have fun. Let them know about your history of back pain so they can limit your arching skills.

If you want to quit, I’d be calling that camp and seeing what refund you can get. Most have a partial refund policy (give you all but say 10% back) if requested cancellation before a certain cut off date.

If you want to quit, I’d be calling that camp and seeing what refund you can get. Most have a partial refund policy (give you all but say 10% back) if requested cancellation before a certain cut off date.
And if your mom purchased camp insurance, then she should be able to get a full refund due to your injury.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back