Lake Owen

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, I decided to go to Lake Owen:D, has anyone been there? This will be my first time going there. I am nervous b/c I will be going by myself without a team b/c my family will be relocating to Chicago b/c of my dads job. And I am scared that because I am a level4 i am going to be put with like 8 yr. olds{ i am 13}, so has anyone been here and can reassure me:)?Thanks ,ya'll!:D

I've been there before! Its a lot of fun! Many people think because they at a small level and are older they won't have fun at all or meet any new friends. There were probably like four or five 12 or 13 year olds in Pepper Jack and about five or six in Colby Jack. Its a really fun camp. What session are you going to? I am going to eight or nine, I think.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that you've never been there so you wouldn't understand the group names :) Pepper Jack and Colby Jack are the two easiest groups (Pepper iss easier than Colby) Pepper Jack usually has level 4's and Colby Jack has level 5's and some 6's. The groups keep working up in diffuculty. There are 6 groups and you go through 4 rotations of about 45 minutes-1 hour every day. The five "events" you do are bars, beam, floor, vault, and dance. On the last day everybody shows eachother there dances at the exibition. Parents come too. Its really fun.

If you need any more info I would be happy to answer your questions :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My gymmie went last summer for her 1st time. She did have the advantage of going with a large group of girls and a few coaches from her gym. She loved it and is going back this year. The cabins are divided by age, so you will be with other teens. There is skill testing on Sunday afternoon and that is when the groups are decided on for the week.

good choice! My daughter will go there for her seventh time. You wont be the only older girl in the lower level and you get to uptrain too. The name of the groups change every year depending on the theme. Someone already said you will be in a cabin with girls your age and there is plenty of free time.

My two girls are going there for the first time this year too! No idea what to expect, but it sounds like all the girls love it.

I hope you have an awesome time! Lake Owen sounds fantastic. I was considering going this summer if I don't get the job I applied for, and in that case, you and I could possibly train together! I'm 14 and am in Prep-Op Intermediate (I'm training level 5 and 6 skills). I just started gymnastics this past year, and it's nice to know I'm not the only older girl who isn't already in the optional levels! I'll let you know if I sign up, maybe we would be put in the same level group!

And I have heard there is a fair bit of social time for you to hang out with other gymnasts your age, as well as living with girls your age in your bunk. And the camp is open to beginners and advanced gymnasts alike, so as people have said in the posts above me, I imagine you will not be the only older girl in a lower level.

Good luck in training and at camp! I hope you have fun!

I've been there before! Its a lot of fun! Many people think because they at a small level and are older they won't have fun at all or meet any new friends. There were probably like four or five 12 or 13 year olds in Pepper Jack and about five or six in Colby Jack. Its a really fun camp. What session are you going to? I am going to eight or nine, I think.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that you've never been there so you wouldn't understand the group names :) Pepper Jack and Colby Jack are the two easiest groups (Pepper iss easier than Colby) Pepper Jack usually has level 4's and Colby Jack has level 5's and some 6's. The groups keep working up in diffuculty. There are 6 groups and you go through 4 rotations of about 45 minutes-1 hour every day. The five "events" you do are bars, beam, floor, vault, and dance. On the last day everybody shows eachother there dances at the exibition. Parents come too. Its really fun.

If you need any more info I would be happy to answer your questions :)

Leave it to Wisconsin to name groups at a camp after cheese..lol. oh my!

I might be going to Lake Owen. I reallly want to so I can learn some new skills, but I'm not sure if I'm going for sure or not yet. I been there once when I was a level 4 and like 7 years old, so if I go back I know I'll learn a lot more.:D

The groups are not always named after cheese, last summer when my DD was there the groups were based on Super Mario characters.

The groups are named different in every session I think.. Last year in my DD's session, they were named after Olympic Gymnasts, a different year they were American Idol Winners...

Yup they are completely and totally random. The funny thing is I have gone 3 summers at different sessions and only got cheese names!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back