Last girl standing - need advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gympunkin

Proud Parent
My dd had a pretty average year at level 4, and will be repeating it in the fall. Originally, there were about 12 girls who were going to repeat level 4, but over the course of the spring, some have quit for other sports, some have moved residences and some have changed to other gyms. Now there are only 2 repeaters: my dd and one other girl.

The way dd's gym works, repeating level 4 is pretty much the norm. Last fall, there were 10 second year level 4's, for example. The program is pretty much set up for this large number of repeaters. Generally, in the fall the repeaters go at a later time, with two or three first years who have done very well in the spring meets. These girls will all have been uptraining level 5 since the spring. The new level 4's go at an earlier time, and are mixed in with girls who are training level 4 but not ready to compete. There is no uptraining.

I was very satisfied with the situation to begin with, and believed that my daughter would be in the later class with the repeaters. Now I am doubtful there will be such a class since the numbers just aren't there for the class. Absent that class, the only option for my dd will the earlier class with the new level 4's.

Training since summer session started has not made me look forward to the fall. My dd really improved her scores over the winter and at her last spring meet scored just slightly below a 37. She had been doing a lot of uptraining for level 5. Now she is training with girls who still need to clean up their level 4 skills alot, and in some cases still need to gets skill. The amount of uptraining has dropped off. She is very disappointed.

I am really not sure what to do. Dd is clearly not ready to train with the girls who are going to compete level 5 in the fall. particularly since they are uptraining level 6 over the summer. I can see the difficulty iin taking time out from the other 6 girls in my dd's training group to work with just my daughter and the one other repeater on level 5 skills, particularly when equipment or mats have to be re-arranged. I really don't want to see her spend the next 5 months working almost entirely on level 4 skills that she is pretty good at now.

I do intend to talk to the coaches, but I am concerned because in the past, the response when girls don't fit the established training pattern has been to suggest private lessons. I could afford one private a month, but I doubt that would really make a difference. Any ideas? Thanks!

Maybe she could train with the level 4 girls twice a week and the level 5 girls once a week? That way she could do both perfecting and uptraining.

I was also going to suggest training with L4 some and L5 some. In a good gym however with a bit of preparation from the coach they should be able to accommodate her into a group, the same equipment can be used but different skill/variation/drill. Not always ideal or the easiest but it should be workable. Coming from the girl training with 7 year old pre team level kids as a L7-L9 gymnast.

Does your daughter have her kips and most of the other gateway skills for level 5? Does her team's competition season start in the fall and run through next spring?

If so, you should ask that she be moved to L5 for the upcoming season. The current level 5s (who are up training 6 now) will probably go back to working on L5 skills/routines in fall, and there is no need for your daughter to repeat L4, given that she was scoring in the high 36s at the end of her last season.

I agree with the suggestion that your dd split her practice time between the L4 and L5 groups until competition season comes. At least that way she'll get some time to work on the L5 skills. A private is not going to help her all that much since the skills need constant practice and if thats not available, she won't progress.

I don't think one private a month will help her either. I would go in to the meeting with the coaches--telling them your concerns and asking what they suggest. If they suggest privates, tell them you can't afford more than one a month and worry that won't help her keep her interest at all.

I bet your daughter will do great whether she stays with the level 4s or uptrains. I'd be willing to bet that the new group has some great gymnasts in it that will push her to get better and they'll all be uptraining skills together in no time.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! It will be good to have some alternatives if the coaches' only suggestion is private lessons.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back