Last part of an upstart - kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been working on getting my upstart for like 2 months now and i practically have it. I've been doing loads of arm and stomach conditioning etc. and now i get to the point where im upright on the bar but i just cant stay on the bar.
My coach told me to try doing an upstart straight into a front hip circle, and my team mates have suggested to pretend there's chocolate on the other side of the bar that i gotta eat!! Nothing is working though >_< I need to keep my hips on the bar and put my shoulders forwards... but how? Is it just a case of more conditioning and more practise or is there something more specific i should be thinking about?
I'm so desperate to get my upstart as i've been working SO hard on it and i've been painfully close to doing it for like 2 weeks!

Btw, on a positive note, i finally got my 3 way splits! :D I'm not exactly the most flexible person and my splits have always been ok but never that great. I had a week off and decided to work on my splits and i now have 3 way splits down :D Everyone was very shocked xD Though it now means that when everyone's doing splits in gym, i have to do oversplits :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Being that close to a kip in just two months is a huge accomplishment! It's a tough skill.

You could try holding onto a bar that's about 6-12 inches lower than shoulder height (stand on some mats if you need) and jump up to front support with STRAIGHT arms. This is the exact motion you need at the end of a kip and will help you strengthen the triceps and give you the "feel" of finishing a kip. If you can't do this with straight arms, lower the bar a bit until you can use straight arms.

Thanks i'll try it. Now that you mention it, i do tend to bend my arms. My coach often isn't there whilst i'm practising upstarts - she'll help me for cast to handstands and stuff like that but as upstarts are a lot about trying and trying again she sometimes leaves me to it, but when she is there i always get 'straighten those aaarms!' XD
I always bend my arms... especially in stuff like flicks, it's not that im not strong enough,(well atleast i don't think so - i do arm conditioning every day) and they feel like theyre straight! weird
Thanks for the help i'll try that :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back