WAG Late starters

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
I would love to read your stories about late starters who caught up with other gymnasts who started at 4, 5 or 6 years old. Those stories are always so inspiring!

There is this one video on Youtube where you can see the progress of a 15 year old gymnast who started at 13. It's so cool and shows that if you work hard you can reach anything even if you didn't start at young age!

I placed a 12 year old beginner gymnast in my team last may. She did gymnastics for a year when she was 7 and then moved to dance for 5 years. Her mother game to gym and asked if her daughter could try one practice with my team. I let her and I saw real talent in her. I asked her if she can do a back hip circle and she said yes she thinks so. I let her play on bars and after a few minutes she was trying glide kip and I almost bit my tongue when she almost did it! A girl who had practiced bars 5 years ago. I said her she is welcome to start in team if she is willing to work really hard. At first she was of course behind others in everything. She had never done a handstand on beam or used grips or straps. She didn't know the gymnastics terminology. But she was so determined to learn that after a month I couldn't see a difference between her and the old team members.

Well, now she has done gymnastics for 5 months and she has become the best gymnast of the team! She just recently competed for the first time and won by score of 36+. She only competed the level B once and now she is going to compete level C on Saturday. She's so solid with her routines that I'm pretty sure she will score 36+ in this level too. She even has a chance to win. Then she'll move up to level D (she already has the skills and more) and compete level E (the first optional level here) this time next year. So she'll do 3 levels in 1 year. The other girls in team will do those levels in 4-5 years.

She amazes me at every practice. And her progress is so fun to watch because she gets new skills every week. She's not afraid of anything and she is pretty mature and understands my corrections so well. She has made me understand that sometimes starting at older age is a great thing. She's not going to burn out any time soon because everything is new and exciting!

Did you or your daughter start late? How did you get in team? What has the journey been like?

We had a gymnast at my daughter' old gym who started gymnastics I'd like to say 14 years old. She had danced all her life and was a very good dancer. There may be holes in my story because I do not know all the details and I still have a lot of questions on how she progressed through the levels. Whenever I spoke to the dad or our HCs at the time, we never got to address my questions because everyone rebelled at how well she is doing.

Anyway, here is what I know, she started competing gymnastics in 2010. But prior to that, she had participated in gymnastics camp at our gym two summers prior. She first competed in our in house meet in 2010 as a L8 (this is one of the puzzles). She enjoyed it so much, she joined our team and a year later was competing L9. She competed L9 for two years but on her second year, she injured herself and had to have surgery on her ankle. She left our gym on her second year. But at the new gym, she won L9 at regionals and placed 12th at Easterns in 2011.

There is another gymnast who is the subject of a Disney TV movie, "Lefty" in 1980 who had just picked up gymnastics in just a few years after being a figure skater. What is remarkable about this gymnast is she was born without a right arm below her elbow. Her name is Carol Johnston and she was recently featured in the Orange County Register. She competed for Cal State Fullerton in 1977, was 2nd place beam and floor at national collegiate championships in1978, All American on both beam and floor. Believe it or not she was an all around, competing bars and vault. While a showcase, she fell off bars and injured her knee. She as aspiring to for the national title in floor. Google her name. You'll see her perform bars. She was recently diagnosed with early Alzheimer's and is fighting again. Remarkable.

Since I started age 5 I guess I can't be considered a 'late starter' even though 5 years break are quite a lot.
The best and oldest gymnast on my comp team is 13 and started age 10.
She didn't start from zero, meaning she could do basic things like CW and and wobbling handstands. But the amazing thing about this gymnast is that in no point I would have considered her 'made for gymnastics'. She is not skinny at all, is already almost my hight and definitly not on the flexible side. She started toghether with her younger and older sister, both of which showed a lot more talent and both of which she left behind over a year ago.
What has gotten her where she is now is her rockhard discipline and work ethic. She refuses to let anything stop her despite the fact that she has to work for every single skill and movement. The result is a style of gymnastics that is as close to technical perfection as I have seen it in any of my gymnasts.
She is no superstar nor does she go off winning meets as she really struggles on bars, but I have no doubt that in her very own pace she will get there. A year ago I would have declared it "mission impossible" for her to ever get her splits...well she's clearly beyond the 180 degrees now.
I'm very glad of having her on my team, she is a great teammate and has taught me and everyone around a lot about determination.

I have said before DD started late. Didn't start competing until 9 and before then gymnastics was done at a rec only gym. She started on Prep Opt and won states in the Novice category at 10, and did pretty well in most meets. She is not really the most talented and becuase of her lack of "real" training early on, didn't have the strength that girls that come up through pre-team had.

Fast forward 3 years, she has many level 7 skills and does well in nearly all meets. She is doing 5 and 6 this year. She has tremendous work ethic and determination, but what I think makes her successful and as good as many on the JO team (not just her level) is her mental toughness and her ability to understand what her body is supposed to do and make corrections when given to her. Physically, she is of moderate talent, but mentally/emotionally she is above average.

What starting late is going to do to her is prevent her from reaching level 10 before she graduates high school because there are not enough years, but I believe she can be successful as she progresses through the levels (if that makes sense).

I always played around with gymnastics at home when I was young and took one year of gymnastics when I was about 10.
But then I quit because we couldn't afford team.
Well I went back at 16 years old and started level 4 on the rec team. I competed a year of level 4, quit and did tumbling for a year and then nothing for a year. I came back at 18 and competed level 5 for a year (I was almost 19) and now I'm 20 and competing the new level 6.
I compete against all younger girls (although on my team there is two 16 year olds, a 17 year old and an 18 year old all on my level) but I have the benefits of looking like I'm about 16. I now I get judged by others for my age at meets, but I don't do gymnastics for them! I do it for me, my love of it! And I stay in shape!

I started pretty late in the gym world at age 12, although I did an after school program that involved gymnastics when I was 7. I was immediately put on level 4 and did 2 years of that (one year fun meet, one year sanctioned), then did level 5. After that season I was out for a year after I tore my ACL, the next season I competed Xcel gold and scored out of level 6. This season I'm competing level 7. I do feel self-conscious because of my age and level but I'm proud of how far I've come in 4 years.

I do feel self-conscious because of my age and level

GEE! I really cringe at hearing things like that!
No one -gymnast or not- should ever feel self conscious because of his age because that is something we really have no influence at. Not. at. all.
The only thing we can do is making the best of the given circumstances and making it to Level 7 in 4 years with one year of injury break is GOOD, even for an early starter, let me tell you that!
So please please take that self conscious part of yours and throw ot out of the window!

I started gymnastics at age 11. Before I had danced but I never really did much gymnastics until age 10/11. I started competing when I was 13 and I did level 6. Each year I moved up a level. Last year I was the level 8 state champion in my state. Now I am 16 and competing level 9.:)

Honestly it usually doesn't matter. Your brain has to mature to understand how to squeeze and actually do skills properly. Do while you may gain physical strength and flexibility starting younger it won't click until you are mentally matured a bit. While there is the rare kid most of our preschool kids and even level 1's are dumb as a box of rocks lol. Kidding. Really though most of them don't start "getting it" until at least 8.

I remember watching Lefty when it first came out! I'm sorry to hear that Carol is struggling with Alzheimers. That is so sad.

Well, my dd started at age 8 having never taken a day of gymnastics. She was moved quickly to pre-team and then team. Competed her first meet (lv. 5) and won. Scored out of 6. Did level 7 the full season and won most meets. Went to level 8 at age 11. Won Regionals. Moved to level 9. 4th at Westerns. Level 10 at age13. 2 time National qualifier. Recruited for College. Quit at age 16- Too much pressure!

When my now 7yo started at 5yo she was in a training group with girls 8 and up since she came in with more advanced floor tumbling thanks to an older sister in cheer. I will say that the girls that were between 10 and 13 picked up sooooo much quicker than her . At that age they really seem to understand the corrections more where my 5yo was kinda just nodding her head like she understood but really was clueless. Her first gym was more of a rec gym so after a year we moved her to another gym and now at her current gym starting at 5yo is considered a late start. I just started my other daughter at 5yo and she is behind, at this gym most kids start in diapers.

Well, my dd started at age 8 having never taken a day of gymnastics. She was moved quickly to pre-team and then team. Competed her first meet (lv. 5) and won. Scored out of 6. Did level 7 the full season and won most meets. Went to level 8 at age 11. Won Regionals. Moved to level 9. 4th at Westerns. Level 10 at age13. 2 time National qualifier. Recruited for College. Quit at age 16- Too much pressure!
Wow, she has a lot of success!! She may come back to it though - we have had several of our level 9s quit and come back a year or two later.

Interesting somewhat related side note, DD sprained her ankle (level 2 according to the orthopedic) about two weeks ago. She must be the fastest healer ever becuase she was back to tumbling in 13 days! Anyway, I was talking to the HC last Saturday about what she could start doing on Monday. First he said, we dodged a bullet on this one, and then he said that long-term success in gymnastics comes down to avoiding the attrition. Now that is maybe an overstatement, but his point was the number of kids that leave the sport becuase of injury. We had a girl just quit to go to diving and one reason was because she was tired of getting hurt. Add the pressure and burnout of doing it so many years...

We have a girl at our gym who started at age 11 and at just turned 18 she is competing level 10 this year.

I started gymnastics at 11 1/2 and am now one of the best gymnasts in level 4 soon to be level 5 in a little less than a year. I started also with basic skills and had always been an overachiever. It just goes to show you that if you work hard you can do anything you set your mind to.
P.S: I'm planning on go into college gymnastics when the time comes.

If you are 12 1/2 you are to young to be on Chalkbucket. We require you to be 14 to join the forum and you agreed to this when you joined.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back