WAG Laurie Hernandez and Ashton Locklear problems?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TumbleTimes4

Proud Parent
When it was confirmed that Laurie was returning to training at Gym Max, Ashton had a mean response. And I noticed that both Ashton and Simone no longer follow Laurie on social media. Did something happen that I missed?

Ashton responded to Laurie's tweet announcing her comeback with "ew", she quickly deleted it but not before the gymternet was all over and had screen shots.

I don't follow all this Twitter stuff, but someone on another forum said that after Laurie announced she was training at GymMax, Ashton tweeted "Ew." She then deleted it, and said that she was trying to respond to another tweet.

I don't follow all this Twitter stuff, but someone on another forum said that after Laurie announced she was training at GymMax, Ashton tweeted "Ew." She then deleted it, and said that she was trying to respond to another tweet.

That earns a big fat eye roll from me. :rolleyes: Immaturity at it's finest.

That earns a big fat eye roll from me. :rolleyes: Immaturity at it's finest.
Ashton might be telling the truth though. I have a Twitter, but never log-in, but I've certainly posted comments in the wrong thread or here or responded to the wrong Facebook message. It's easy enough to do if you're multitasking or have fat thumbs.

So who knows? It's either teenage drama or it's a mistake.

Ashton might be telling the truth though. I have a Twitter, but never log-in, but I've certainly posted comments in the wrong thread or here or responded to the wrong Facebook message. It's easy enough to do if you're multitasking or have fat thumbs.

Sure, it may very well be a mistake. I personally doubt that due to the amount of experience she has with Twitter. But even if it was a mistake, there is a level of responsibility that needs to be taken when consuming and producing content on social media. I honestly haven't been impressed with the social media maturity level of most of these elite gymnasts (or most celebrities in general) these days.

I thought Gymmax was an unconfirmed rumor, I thought Laurie was actually retiring but decided not to make a formal announcement since she is still cashing in on gymnastics endorsements.

Sure, it may very well be a mistake. I personally doubt that due to the amount of experience she has with Twitter. But even if it was a mistake, there is a level of responsibility that needs to be taken when consuming and producing content on social media. I honestly haven't been impressed with the social media maturity level of most of these elite gymnasts (or most celebrities in general) these days.

I would be more likely to believe it was a mistake if she wasn’t already under investigation by Safe Sport for bullying. Seems like more mean girl behavior.

It seems possible it could have been a joke or mistake. I feel like it's hard to know, but I'm under the impression those two are kinda in the same groups so I'm not really inclined to think otherwise unless there's some more info.

Laurie had been saying she'd start training again in the fall but it was up in the air so good for her, hope Gym Max works out.

I would be more likely to believe it was a mistake if she wasn’t already under investigation by Safe Sport for bullying. Seems like more mean girl behavior.
Wow. I didnt know Safe Sport investigated bullying too. How did you find out she was being investigated?

Do you think she will be able to have a chance at 2020. She started training 1yr after Simone and Simone was already the far superior gymnast. Also why the sudden hate on Laurie?

Reactions: SMH
Do you think she will be able to have a chance at 2020. She started training 1yr after Simone and Simone was already the far superior gymnast. Also why the sudden hate on Laurie?

I don't think it's a "sudden hate" on Laurie but I'm not sure her plan is very realistic for making Tokyo...from what's been out there, she hasn't trained much since Rio , and heck, good for her to take all the opportunities she got with her fame ...but we saw what happened when Nastia attempted a comeback on too short of a timetable..it was a disaster, and she even said so herself in an interview. She said she just really underestimated the time needed to return to form , that she thought muscle memory and years of past training would just kick in and it didn't...and she went on to praise how Aly and Simone had done it differently and been successful....

I think at this stage of the game , it seems like Laurie has a Nastia view of coming back, and rightly or wrongly, people are reacting to her saying she's" trying for Tokyo", a la Douglas when she came back and people thought she didn't deserve her spot just because she returned (not debating this, just stating it). So I see a similar pattern of doubt about Laurie's training and commitment level, does she think the spot is hers just because and a similar type rift with the coach that took her to the Olympics that we saw when Douglas returned and kind of gym hopped around...

That's just my take on the sidelines...

Seems like all these girls are having interpersonal relationship problems. What happened to the team? at least in the past there appeared to be a sense of team, but that's gone now. None of this is good for the sport. Why does everyone seem bent on ruining it?

Seems like all these girls are having interpersonal relationship problems. What happened to the team? at least in the past there appeared to be a sense of team, but that's gone now. None of this is good for the sport. Why does everyone seem bent on ruining it?

How far in the past? Is it possible that social media is just exposing to the public what was already going on behind the scenes? I mean, we are talking about a bunch of teenagers and college-aged kids, under the leadership of adults who are mostly self-interested and power-hungry, in an incredibly high-stakes environment. I can't believe that everything has always been sunshine and rainbows among all the athletes.

This is why I dislike social media At least in the olden days if you accidentally said something mean it wouldn't instantly be broadcasted to the entire world and then saved for eternity. There is just so much less room for young people to make mistakes now.

How far in the past? Is it possible that social media is just exposing to the public what was already going on behind the scenes? I mean, we are talking about a bunch of teenagers and college-aged kids, under the leadership of adults who are mostly self-interested and power-hungry, in an incredibly high-stakes environment. I can't believe that everything has always been sunshine and rainbows among all the athletes.

This is why I dislike social media At least in the olden days if you accidentally said something mean it wouldn't instantly be broadcasted to the entire world and then saved for eternity. There is just so much less room for young people to make mistakes now.

This. I believe these issues have ALWAYS existed, we just weren't privvy to the inside as much as we are now. And honestly, I think it's totally NORMAL for there to be issues among the girls. We are talking about a group of highly motivated, highly disciplined, 16-20 something year olds. There are going to be issues.

I never said it was always sunshine and rainbows, I said there was more of a team mentality. and if there wasn't, the girls at least pretended. The media tried to make Shawn and Nastia enemies, but they weren't and they aren't. My point is that NONE OF THIS IS GOOD FOR THE SPORT. And the girls DO seem to have some interpersonal relationship problems. And frankly, I'm tired of the mess that gymnastics has become, and the fact that instead of people working together to improve the situation, all there seems to be is people complaining about every move they make in the head office, sniping back and forth between the top gymnasts in the country, flippant tweets about the organization by teenagers, and so on and so on.

And as you apparently didn't read, I said there APPEARED to be a sense of team that is missing these days.

Meh. I’ll take honest snark to fake comraderie every day of the week. The best and worst thing about technology in this day and age is that everyone is more honestly put on display. I may be the outlier, but it makes me sad to think of how much people used to hide that would affect my opinion of them. No matter if you’re snarky or racist or whatever- I’d rather just know.

I never said it was always sunshine and rainbows, I said there was more of a team mentality. and if there wasn't, the girls at least pretended. The media tried to make Shawn and Nastia enemies, but they weren't and they aren't. My point is that NONE OF THIS IS GOOD FOR THE SPORT. And the girls DO seem to have some interpersonal relationship problems. And frankly, I'm tired of the mess that gymnastics has become, and the fact that instead of people working together to improve the situation, all there seems to be is people complaining about every move they make in the head office, sniping back and forth between the top gymnasts in the country, flippant tweets about the organization by teenagers, and so on and so on.

And as you apparently didn't read, I said there APPEARED to be a sense of team that is missing these days.

Yes, the fact that in the past there *appeared* to be team spirit was my point. It's just a lot easier to keep up appearances without social media.

I don't think we really know anything is going on. Having worked with preteen-teen girls I'm sure there are some issues. But also I'm sure drama and gossip channels are motivated to exaggerate their parts.

Dealing with interpersonal conflict is an important part of this developmental stage. No exposure to interpersonal conflict or interactions will socially and emotionally stunt them.

I know Laurie has a lot in store for her. I hope the next chapter of her life will be fulfilling.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back