Layout Tsuks on Vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a Level 9 gymnast who has GREAT tuck/pike tsuks and is wanting to learn a layout. She is training them to pit but isn't quite making the layout body position yet. She is opening more than she would in her pike but isn't quite there...any suggestions or drills? Thanks!

I have a Level 9 gymnast who has GREAT tuck/pike tsuks and is wanting to learn a layout. She is training them to pit but isn't quite making the layout body position yet. She is opening more than she would in her pike but isn't quite there...any suggestions or drills? Thanks!

open tuck tsuks. then open tuck to layouts with bent legs. then layouts.

practice round off, whip, whip on a floor. daily and over and over.

if you really want the layout...stay away from doing alot of pikes. they're not good for layouts.

Dunno, would you train a layout tsuk in an arch position or a hollow position?

I've seen many layout tsuks and yurchenkos done in an arched position, and while it certainly looks cool, I can't see any mechanical advantage to an arch over a hollow. Is it done purely for aesthetics?

Hi

The main things are to
a- insure that she is getting enough rotation on the turn-over. In order to achieve a layout position (the nice handstand shape layout ) its essential to have enough rotation on entry. This of course is achieved through the Run- and carried through to the pre-flight.
On pre-flight she should really aim to work the strong 1/4 on entry to allow for a lower and fast turn over ( the block should be from the top hand) its vital that she block and stand the chest up of the block, and not kick the feet down. She also needs to try to lift the arms up of the block with 1/4 (to square of the back layout position on post-flight) this slight lift can help accelerate the rotation once she drops the arms back down, but it will in the future help if she needs to twist.

Drills personal favs are
1- The 2 spring board ontop of eachohter (or 1 springboard ontop of a panel mat at an angle, like mas watanabe suggests YouTube - Double Board Drills for Vaulting - Mas Watanabe).
2-Tsuk timers to candle onto stack mats above table height.

Just of the top of my head... However there aren't many more, specific to the layout.. some more for tsuks in general.

I've seen many layout tsuks and yurchenkos done in an arched position, and while it certainly looks cool, I can't see any mechanical advantage to an arch over a hollow. Is it done purely for aesthetics?

Developmental approach. I use it, too. It's personal coaching style - though some coaches just leave it as is, and don't go any further.

sorry, for some reason didn't 'see' your post.

i shoot for 'pin straight' body position. arching to much can be problematic if you plan on them twisting.

Thanks to all of you for the infomative posts on the layout vault. My gymmie has essentially been teaching herself how to do it during the summer. She did a tucked yerchenko last season and her vault coach insisted she learn a pike and then maybe she'd try letting her try some layouts. I asked why and was told(and I'm not kidding), "because thats the order they're listed in."
She did get some help from the HC who felt the layout was a much stronger vault for her.
She's also had some knee pain and back issues and has been getting alot of PT, so her vaulting was messed up for a month or so. Dunno, she said the HC did have her doing lots of ro-whips, but her back has hurt alot and she did have to stop them for awhile.
I asked her(sounding like a real expert--ha) if she was arching or hollowing on her layout. Said she watched a L10 who is doing a yerchenko full and her layouts were hollow, so thats what my kid is doing.
No, I don't like the idea of paying so my gymmie can teach herself a vault--yes she did get some help from the HC when he had time. Even though her upgraded vaulting was done in a very poor way, at least I can see she was doing things correctly.
No, I don't know why we're still at this gym.

asking DD this one:

First, a bit confused - is she doing a Tsuk or a Yurchenko? Tsuk layouts are usually harder because there is less momentum going into the block, so Yurchenko layouts tend to be easier b/c you have more power coming off the vault. Body position is straight (or up to .5 deduction). :)

I learned mostly with candlesticking to a Resi "whale" mat, and then we stacked mats onto that slowly so that the mats were eventually above table height.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back