WAG Layouts and Fulls help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

http://instagram.com/p/wRxbTxmFKE/?modal=true
Bad quality video but my back layout on rod floor, and my Front layout full off tumble track. My coach is wanting me to start back halfs, but I feel like I pike too much in my layout to start halfs. How do I take the pike out? Also when I do start twisting my back layout, what do I do with my arms? I'm a righty. I figure that I pull my left arm to my right shoulder, right? Or do I just pull them both to my shoulder? Twisting is new to me so i'm trying to figure it out. One last thing, Any tips for my front full? Anything will be appreciated.

I am a righty too. So what I do when I twist. My right arm I wrap around my hip and my left arm goes above my head and I look under my arm put when I turn. I see the ground the whole time. You won't have a blind landing. :)

http://instagram.com/p/wRxbTxmFKE/?modal=true
Bad quality video but my back layout on rod floor, and my Front layout full off tumble track. My coach is wanting me to start back halfs, but I feel like I pike too much in my layout to start halfs. How do I take the pike out? Also when I do start twisting my back layout, what do I do with my arms? I'm a righty. I figure that I pull my left arm to my right shoulder, right? Or do I just pull them both to my shoulder? Twisting is new to me so i'm trying to figure it out. One last thing, Any tips for my front full? Anything will be appreciated.

It looks like your front full is pretty good. Judging by your layout, even with the little pike, you're definitely ready to back twist. If you want to start with a half, ''set'' like a layout (I'm sure your coaches have told you this), and extend your arms out and twist. It sounds weird that you're body can twist this way (I thought the same thing), but somehow it does. For a full, do the same thing as a half, except after pulling your arms out, have your arms cross a little (to about the wrists), and pull them to your left shoulder. Since you're a righty, you'll twist to your left. Hope this helps! :)

Thank you guys! I think I figured out my back twisting problem. I was pulling my arms to my right shoulder. So is the correct? Pull to left shoulder=right twist, pull to right shoulder=left twist?

Thank you guys! I think I figured out my back twisting problem. I was pulling my arms to my right shoulder. So is the correct? Pull to left shoulder=right twist, pull to right shoulder=left twist?

You're welcome! No, if you pull to your left you twist left, and if you pull to your right you twist right. Since you're a righty, you would pull AND twist left.

Oh okay! That makes a lot more sense, I kept pulling right, no wonder I've never made a half. And I was so confused why front twisting was much easier than back twisting for me! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow! Thank you so much!

Ask your coach about your arms and anything else she or he may have to say........

But you can always count on having more success if you have a better round off bhs. Try working on pushing/blocking with your left hand and arm as soon and quickly as possible when you get to here.....

upload_2014-12-7_21-34-9.png

That will help you stand up into the proper position to start your bhs. Trust me on this, you'll tumble more easily with more power if you can avoid a snap down that's leaning forward as your's does. This skill and the sport in general aren't that hard if you're willing to concentrate on the fundamentals that make the skills work. Start there......
upload_2014-12-7_21-46-31.png

no. 1st make sure your twisting forwards and backwards the same direction. your front full is twisting right.

no matter which direction your flipping, right twist finds the arms moving to the right and left twist finds the arms moving to the left.

You're welcome! No, if you pull to your left you twist left, and if you pull to your right you twist right. Since you're a righty, you would pull AND twist left.

NO. makes no difference if your a lefty or a righty as in left or right handed. this girl is twisting to the right on her front full. arms go forward on take off and then move to the right side of the body.

when she back twists she will move her arms to the right side of her body.

what on earth are you talking about?

what on earth are you talking about?
Haha....My guess is, she is interpreting "righty-left" in the context of round-offs and not "righty-lefty" twist direction; and then is of the conventional belief that if you round-off with the right leg leading ("righty"), then you're "supposed" to twist left.

Haha....My guess is, she is interpreting "righty-left" in the context of round-offs and not "righty-lefty" twist direction; and then is of the conventional belief that if you round-off with the right leg leading ("righty"), then you're "supposed" to twist left.

Oops...I get so used to that round-off term for the lefty/righty...Thanks for correcting me :)

Thank you everyone for all the replies, my coach spotted me on tuck halfs off an air board onto an 8 incher. I think they went way better. But also I think I do Better at tuck halfs than layout halfs. I twisted to the right. I've done lots of research on when to actually twist, most of it said when you see the ceiling, I did that, and my coach seen a difference, I used to twist like a split second before I fell into the pit. @iwannacoach thank you for that tip, it helped a lot, but I was on a floor where there were no springs doing that, I'm afraid if I do that on a rod floor or on a regular floor, I will end up being too powerful and having my back handspring too high and end up not being able to flip out of it.

Do it and you'll learn how to put more pressure into your block to get a set and that will make your twist easier.

Oh okay! That makes a lot more sense, I kept pulling right, no wonder I've never made a half. And I was so confused why front twisting was much easier than back twisting for me! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow! Thank you so much!
I am sort of confused... was just reading the replies and someone said that if you're a righty, to pull to the left? I am a righty but I twist to the right. My coaches have told us to do whichever "feels right". I haven't had a problem, and compete my half twist while working on fulls. JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY: is there a "correct way" twist?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back