WAG learning a back handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

clrmom

Proud Parent
My dd is a level 4 and our gym also does level 3. DD competed level 3 last year. I was curious to know how different gyms handle learning the back handspring and what is most common. Our gym seems to wait to teach the back handspring once the girls are already on level 4. They do work on them a little before they move up (kind of as a reward if they do well on routines during competition season and a little in the off-season). However, I think there were only one or two that were able to do one before moving up and it wasn't a requirement. So here is my question...

Does your gym require girls to already have the back handspring prior to moving up to level 4 or do your gym's level 4s learn the back handspring once they have moved up?

This is just something I am just curious about. I am interested in both parent, gymnast and coach responses. From a coach perspective, an additional question would be which scenario do you believe to be better?

I like to say there is one set rule, but there isn't. It is different for everyone. I was watching a level 2 practice yesterday and they were working on BHS. Some girls compete level 3 (novice) with a BHS, most don't. I find most girls learn it or get really close during level 3. I have seen Level 2s get them.

But to move to Level 4, which is team in our gym, there is no set rule, some girls have them, some don't. They take a lot of things into consideration when picking girls for team, like maturity level, are they able to apply corrections, follow directions, overall strength, work independantly and so on. Bars weigh heavily, do they have the strength for the level 4 skills? They don't necessarily have all the level 4 bar skills before moving it, but it is obvious they are close.

So anyways, no they are not required to have it before moving to level 4. But in order to compete for our gym, they have to be able to do it on the floor without assistance. The GO does not allow the coaches out on the floor. Our gym trains up, so girls in Level 2 are starting to work of them. It can take several years to get one, which is very normal.

I have a 5 yr old L3 on pre-team. She doesn't have her BHS, but they do work them regularly. Some of the older L3's do have them though (the ones that do are on their second season on pre-team, and will be competing. The three youngest/newest L3's who are 5 and 6 won't be competing at the first few meets).

According to the USAG report card thing (http://usagym.org/PDFs/Forms/Women/w_1-4_reportcard.pdf), a BHS is not a L4 skill, so I don't know why it would be a requirement to move up? At least at our gym, it seems to be the norm to get your BHS preferably in L3, but not a necessity to move up to L4.

At our gym the girls work on BHS starting in L2 in the off season. If they get the BHS in L2 (some do, some don't) they end up skipping L3 and going straight to L4. From what I have seen, all of the L4 have their BHS when they move up.

Also, I am confused that BHS is not a requirement for USAG L4. The end of floor routine is a ROBHS. Seems like it should be a requirement. Is that wrong?

As far as I know BHS is required for USAG level 4. I think we have some girls get it after moved up but most have it before.

Thanks everyone. Most of our girls didn't have it when moving up. From what I can tell, there wasn't much requirement to move up as long as they competed level 3. However, they do require you to have your back handspring on your own in order to compete. I was just curious what other gyms did. :)

Our gym also does not require BHS to move to L4. In fact, my dd is a new L4 and does not have her BHS. About half the girls do.

Uptrain as much as you can, as soon as you can when possible (and safe).

Honestly, probably as a L1 they would be starting to train the BHS. Be it with jump backs or on/over an octagon.

Each gym will have their own requirements. Some prefer to have all their skills before moving up or 80 or 90%.

While technically the BHS StepOut is a L6 skill, it really is nice to have a standing backhandspring before trying to connect it to a round-off. It can be done while training both or without, but I still would say it's ideal. Maybe just down a wedge instead of on floor, but you get the idea.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back