WAG Learning Routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

alongfortheride

Proud Parent
My daughter is almost 8. She has been on pre-team since last summer. Her gym starts competing at level 3. For the last month they have started learning routines. She seems to have a hard time remembering the dance moves on floor and beam (she generally struggles with memorization). I'm concerned because they have a practice in house meet for fun coming up in about 8 weeks. Any suggestions to help with memorization?

I'd leave it be unless your daughter or the coaches ask you to help. It sounds like they're working on it, and she's got two months until a meet that's just for practice.

My daughter is almost 8. She has been on pre-team since last summer. Her gym starts competing at level 3. For the last month they have started learning routines. She seems to have a hard time remembering the dance moves on floor and beam (she generally struggles with memorization). I'm concerned because they have a practice in house meet for fun coming up in about 8 weeks. Any suggestions to help with memorization?
It’s only been a month, it takes most gymnasts longer than that to learn routines, especially the younger girls. Don’t worry, she’ll be fine. 8 weeks is a long time.

Ask if you can video the routine so she can watch. They also have music with someone talking the steps. Our first gym actually gave us that music. And both gyms we have been actually encourage watching the video of the routine to help remember steps. And walk through soft the step/dance parts. No tumbling though, strictly dance/turns/steps.,

And 8 weeks is a lot of repetition

My daughter is almost 8 and is finishing up her 3rd competitive season. Learning the routines has been the hardest part for her, by far! For some reason, she just has a lot of trouble remembering the order of the steps and all of the details that go along with them! She has always had them down by meet season, but we do have to work a lot at home on the order of the routines (she doesn't do the skills at home when we practice). Her coaches have me take a video of her doing the routine while they talk her through it, and we use that at home to both watch and practice from. It seems to have gotten a little better with age, but is still a challenge.

Since L3 is compulsory you can find the music on you tube. You can also often find videos of kids doing the routines along with their scores, so you can possibly tell if they did it accurately. I wouldn't have her learn from these, per se, but my daughter seemed to pick it up more quickly for L4 and L5 after watching many videos. Also, the good thing to know is that the L4 and L5 routines build on the L3, so there is less to learn dance wise each season of compulsory.

The in house meet is there to show the coaches what needs to be focused on, for many girls that will be skills, for others it will be musicality and routines. The judges and coaches won't expect 9.5s right off the bat. So dont worry about that . They will probably pick apart routines and events after the judges give them feedback.

I did listen to the music with my daughter at level 3. We talked about the beat and flow of the music and how to stay at the correct spot in the routine by listening to the cues in the music. She is not a dancer, so this was new to her.

The other event routines were up to the coaches, bc I didn't know a thing about them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back